• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010
    of course you make speak your mind
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    I would suspect Scottish born, Welsh inhabitant Alan to go off on a rant on the difference between the UK and England, but I may be quite wrong. wink

Merrigold!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...why is my kazoo emoticon disfunct? uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    I would suspect Scottish born, Welsh inhabitant Alan to go off on a rant on the difference between the UK and England, but I may be quite wrong. wink

:kazoo:

Normally I would - and that was my intention.

But I believe that WikiLeaks will be leaking a transcript of my comments in due course.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    totally confused please elaborate
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Green!

Normally I would - and that was my intention.

But I believe that WikiLeaks will be leaking a transcript of my comments in due course.

That was quite funny..............for a Scotsman.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...why is my kazoo emoticon disfunct? uhm

You have ( had ) a working kazoo emoticon?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. sdtom wrote
    totally confused please elaborate

I will soon.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010
    i hope so
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    and the explanation is?
  3. FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    England is lucky to have Gamba and the BBC Philharmonic.
    Thomas

Should I say something or not?

Us Scots have a bit of an issue with "England" and "Britain" (or UK) being used in a way that suggests that these words are interchangeable.

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, England and Wales and so anyone from those three places is "British" (though I would say that most people from each country would call themselves either Scottish, English or Welsh before they'd be called British. I'd always call myself Scottish when asked though I have in the past put British on a passport) When someone says that something's English when they mean British Scots will always make a comment about this because they don't like the idea of the encompassing word "British" (which they are a part of) being termed "English" (the Auld Enemy).

There's also this notion in Scotland that when the (London-based) media are referring to something good done by someone from Wales or particularly Scotland they will talk of it being a British achievement (so England is associated with the glory) but when it's something bad then they make sure that Scotland or Wales is mentioned so that England is distanced from the stain or slur on the country.

But as mentioned in the BBC quiz QI the word "England" was interchangeable with the word "Britain" right up until the 1930s. Then the Scottish Nationalists got in on the act...

And to make matters worse, the Union Flag is the flag that represents the United Kingdom (all the countries of Great Britain plus Northern Ireland). And there are all the individual flags for the various countries (with Scotland actually having two). On special occasions in Scotland and Wales (maybe even in Northern Ireland) their respective flags will be flown - and not usually the Union Flag. But in England, these special occasions are usually marked by the flying of the Union Flag (and not the England flag though that is changing.)

Quite complicated so I may have missed something.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good example, Alan, would be ...

Britains Andrew Murray makes it through the first round of Wimbledon.

Followed days later by...

Scotland's Andrew Murray crashes out in second round at Wimbledon.

The media here are very fickle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010
    Yikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I went to an electronics store yesterday and asked to listen to their high end phones and was told they couldn't be taken out of the box. I felt like buying them, taking them home, and then returning them if I didn't like them. Poor store policy
  4. sdtom wrote
    I went to an electronics store yesterday and asked to listen to their high end phones and was told they couldn't be taken out of the box. I felt like buying them, taking them home, and then returning them if I didn't like them. Poor store policy

Out of interest Tom, did you take a CD along with you? And if you did, which one(s) did you take?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I did take a CD and it was the new Gunning release on Chandos. I feel the 24bit 96kHz makes a difference. No matter in this case as I wan't able to listen anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2010
    I listened to the Sennheiser 555 at Best Buy today and they are very good. At $90 a bit more affordable also
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    I still haven't decided for sure but I think I'm going to choose a pair of lower end Grado's, a pair in the $300 range.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    I've also listened to the ADT 700D series and there sound is good also.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2010
    Perhaps there will be good deals after Xmas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2010
    I was listening to a 320 file last night and just cringed at the poor quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2010
    rolleyes
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. In my experience, I can't understand the experience of 320kbps and poor sound quality.

Why do you still do it Tom if you know you are going to have a bad experience?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2010
    I use it as more of a initial listen of a work. The quality is good enough so that if I like it I'll make sure I get it on CD, a lossless file.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010
    I think I'll do a bit of listening to some equipment today
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010
    This has been quite a learning experience for me. No more 320 downloads unless I have to
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tom, be careful with these rash revelations.
    Lex Luthor is paying handsomely to know your true identity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As of today I've done nothing. I'm only researching
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Tom, be careful with these rash revelations.
    Lex Luthor is paying handsomely to know your true identity.

Brilliant! Simply brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Once I did the research and listening there is a difference on nice equipment. I had never taken the time to listen to any download on my stereo, only the computer and earbuds/phones which upon further review is really just radio listening quality. I have identical recordings at 320 and lossless. If I listen through the computer setup there is no difference. But through the speakers and I'm guessing good cans and a nice higher end cd player, similar to the one I have without the tubes there will be a difference. That extra nuance will be there for me to enjoy.