• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011
    Nah, thrown away money :0
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Plus very little repertoire available on sacd; it's essentially a commercially failed experiment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    advice taken
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    Slowly I'm progressing. I got a Marantz CD5004, Rega Ear Amp, and Grado 325i cans. Still not good enough but it will have to do for now.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    breaking in my new headphones which are a huge improvement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    My new equipment is breaking in so nicely. I'm hearing things on CD's I've never heard before. Very impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    I could recommend the setup to any of you who can't use speakers but want some really nice sound. And yes with this setup you can hear the difference between 320 and a CD especially when the CD is an all digital recording.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Don't overlook the REGA headphone amp. It does make a difference. I'm sure the Marantz 5004 makes a difference too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice to hear you got new stuff eventually! How much did you pay in total for those?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    $1200.00 but every CD I put on is like a new listening experience for me because you hear unlike I've never heard before especially with the digital. And analog recordings now show some of there shortcomings. MP3's are laughable. I'm very happy D.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    MP3's are laughable.
    Thomas

""There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance... that principle is contempt prior to investigation" Herbert Spencer"

I'm glad you're happy, though. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I am pleased Tom that you are rediscovering your CDs again with your new setup. But I personally help but feel sorry that you are apparently shutting the door on mp3 scores - even 320kbps. There are many interesting scores I have discovered that are download only.

It's interesting that being a Golden Age champion you can listen to these old recordings. Surely sound quality is even worse in these sometimes compared to a 128kbps mp3?

Sure, these latter examples are poor compared to CDs but I make allowances and give a bit of slack because sometimes it is all that is available. As is the case sometimes with a Tiomkin, Herrmann or Steiner recording from way back.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a great experience, to re-discover all your music with every new audio system you buy; i forgotten when was the last time though, but it's great smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am pleased Tom that you are rediscovering your CDs again with your new setup. But I personally help but feel sorry that you are apparently shutting the door on mp3 scores - even 320kbps. There are many interesting scores I have discovered that are download only.

It's interesting that being a Golden Age champion you can listen to these old recordings. Surely sound quality is even worse in these sometimes compared to a 128kbps mp3?

Sure, these latter examples are poor compared to CDs but I make allowances and give a bit of slack because sometimes it is all that is available. As is the case sometimes with a Tiomkin, Herrmann or Steiner recording from way back.

I'm not giving up on MP3's as this is the now thing. My comment is based on the fact that with the new system you can hear the difference.

I have a simple separate system for my mono listening. The speaker has a much lower dynamic range the amp is mono, the cd player very basic. I haven't put a 78 transfer through the new system and I probably will not. Mono sounds much better through a single source (speaker). However the quality is much better than 128kps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011 edited
    what is a 'mono' ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    what is a 'mono' ?

a single channel as opposed to stereo which is two and dolby can be 5 or more. And you can have two ears and the information is processed nicely.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, not really. 2 ears = 2 channels minimum wink
  2. Ideal though if you are deaf in one ear.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ideal though if you are deaf in one ear.

...said glass 'half-full' Alan biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ideal though if you are deaf in one ear.

you won't hear as much
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2011
    The new Usher even though it is mono has a cleaner sound than on my old system.