• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I can't help with the specifics Erik, but James had that episode with Wordpress the other day. Maybe he could help? I got the impression that their help people were actually helpful!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2012
    Wish I could help, but unfortunately not. My problem was something else - fortunately the backup had worked (despite information to the contrary to my host provider). I think there's a very active Wordpress support community that should be able to help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012
    A cron-job is a unix-based backup job (or a database backup job. I can never remember).
    Anyway, usually when the cron-job fails, it's to do with access rights: if you know how, make sure the directory that wp-cron.php file is in, is *fully* accessible (open up everything; full access rights (you should be able to do so through your FTP program). doesn't matter. you can close it back down again later if you want to).

Additionally, you could replace the wp-cron.php file by downloading the latest local wordpress installation to your desktop, unzipping it and copiying the wp-cron.php from your local disk to your installation.

I don't know where the file is residing though, so you may need to sniff around a little. sad Sorry.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have come to the conclusion that there is very little that Martijn does not know.
  2. Southall wrote
    I have come to the conclusion that there is very little that Martijn does not know.

I am sure Martijn is aware of this fact.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In fact, I have been actively propagating that very fact for many a decade now!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik, have you contacted Bregt?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

I will tell you one thing for sure: next time are completely sure you deleted your comments, profile, or entire websites off the net, well, don't be so sure. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Demetris wrote
    Erik, have you contacted Bregt?

Ha! I wasn't here yesterday. I must say I'm that very familiar with Wordpress to know what it means. Did you find a solution Erik? The first I would check is what Martijn said: access rights.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can.i.has.Bregt.God,pls? :lolcat:
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No, I never did figure it out. It could be an issue with my service provider, who are the worst, BTW. If any one has their site hosted by Netfirms, GET. OUT. NOW! My site is incredibly sluggish! And that's putting it mildly. I can't wait to get far, far away from them but I need an opinion to back-up everything. Currently, NOTHING is working.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Did you try my suggestions?
    One of them really should work. sad

If not, I think the only option left is the "push until it moves" approach, which is risky.
    It basically requires you to back up the mysql database for your site only (you should really be able to do that through whatever interface your provider has made available to you. Unfortunately interfaces differ massively between providers so I can't really give you any more detailed pointers here).

Once done, copy the mysql backup file locally.
    Then copy everything from the root of your wordpress site to your desktop.

Once done (and that may take quite a while), copy everything to the root of the new site, create the required mysql database (it should have the same name as the one from the old site) and import the old mysql database into it (again, the interface your provider has provided to you should offer that functionality).

That should start the new site on the new server.

But it's a very hardhanded and rough approach with much potential for failure (in the sense of breaking links and posts on the site).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2012 edited
    So, did any of this help?
    At all?
    sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012
    My God... I'm such an asshole! Martijn I apologize for not replying. shame

Some of the stuff you mentioned above is a little over my head so I'm going to hand this over to the guy who I'm sharing the account with to see if he can make any fixes. He's a computer wiz so I'm sure he'll be able to figure out the problem. I'll also forward him your advice just in case he can't find the problem. If all else fails I might just let Bregt or you have a peek around my account.

Thanks for all of your help and time! I really appreciate it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
    smile No worries, Erik.
    Hope it works out with your partner sorting it out.
    I'll be off for a while but if and when I'm back and things are still going rough, I'll be happy to try and have a look and help where I can!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2013
    You're our computer expert Erik. I wouldn't be able to help you
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2013
    Movie Wave has outgrown the database allocation I get from my host provider - I have 25 300Mb databases and have filled up one of them. By default, Wordpress puts everything into one database. It does appear to be possible to split it across multiple databases (I certainly hope so, since I won't have to pay any more) but it all sounds rather complicated to me.

Apparently you use this:

http://codex.wordpress.org/HyperDB

Anyone out there who thinks they might actually know what they would be doing? If so, please get in touch, I'd be very grateful for your help (maybe I could make you an admin so you can do it for me, if you know how!)

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2013
    I bit the bullet and spent the money on the extra space. While you have far more data, I must contend with the sounds clips. It seemed the right thing to do.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013 edited
    I don't know about that plugin or how that is done James.

However, what is odd is how come you used so much database space already? I find that the oddest thing. The whole of MainTitles is below 300MB for the whole forum and all the reviews, which is I think a lot more then the bits and bytes you added via WordPress. Perhaps you store the images and all as blobs in your database...

Also, why would you have 25 of 300MB? That is just weird. I think Martijn can agree with that? Can you send me the site of your hosting company?

I can have a look but it will not before I'm back from Valencia.
    Kazoo
  3. You slacker! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013 edited
    Bregt wrote
    I don't know about that plugin or how that is done James.
    Also, why would you have 25 of 300MB? That is just weird. I think Martijn can agree with that?

Unfortunately I have to echo Bregt's words: while I have quite a bit of Wordpress experience now, this thing baffles me.
    Seems as if you're hosting your site at Wordpress.org, right? Not as a standalone installation on your own (hosted) site?
    Otherwise the 25 x 300 would make no sense to me whatsoever (well, actually it DOES make no sense to me whatsoever, so the only thing I can imagine is this being forced on you for God knows what reason).

I do not know this add-in, but again: it appears to be something that you use at wordpress.org. Not as an addition to a standalone installation (why would you? You could easily increase the size of your database or even do a new install in that case, I guess?).

So...yeah...sorry. Not much help here.
    I understand the theory behind the issue.
    I just never had anything like this at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013
    No, it's not hosted at wordpress, it's standalone. I don't really understand it myself either but my hosting package entitles me to 25 300mb sql databases, and I use one of those for Wordpress (it's theoretically possible to split it across more than one but that's far beyond my capability). Quite why I can have 25 300Mb databases but not one larger one I have no idea.

I have actually worked out why I am using 300Mb - given the images are not held within the database, this seemed hard to believe. But it's because my two "list of reviews" pages (one indexed by title, one by composer) have been set to "keep old versions", every time I've added a review to the pages, a further archive copy has been generated and stored in the database, and those two pages are pretty big.

I've deleted all the archive copies - which made up over 200Mb - but this has revealed an extremely frustrating new issue, which is that MySQL (which is what I'm forced to use by my host) does not ever "release space" (I don't know the technical term) - when you delete something from the database, it just reserves whatever space it was using for future use. So even though I've deleted over 200Mb from it, the database size is still 300.3Mb and so still won't let me add anything to it. There is no easy way around this.

I've asked the host provider for technical support but they've told me they can't help because the problem's with an open source application I'm using and nothing to do with them.

Aaargh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013
    Southall wrote
    No, it's not hosted at wordpress, it's standalone. I don't really understand it myself either but my hosting package entitles me to 25 300mb sql databases, and I use one of those for Wordpress (it's theoretically possible to split it across more than one but that's far beyond my capability). Quite why I can have 25 300Mb databases but not one larger one I have no idea.

That's just plain weird.

I have actually worked out why I am using 300Mb - given the images are not held within the database, this seemed hard to believe. But it's because my two "list of reviews" pages (one indexed by title, one by composer) have been set to "keep old versions", every time I've added a review to the pages, a further archive copy has been generated and stored in the database, and those two pages are pretty big.

I've deleted all the archive copies - which made up over 200Mb - but this has revealed an extremely frustrating new issue, which is that MySQL (which is what I'm forced to use by my host) does not ever "release space" (I don't know the technical term) - when you delete something from the database, it just reserves whatever space it was using for future use. So even though I've deleted over 200Mb from it, the database size is still 300.3Mb and so still won't let me add anything to it. There is no easy way around this.

Do you have access to the databases itself?

I've asked the host provider for technical support but they've told me they can't help because the problem's with an open source application I'm using and nothing to do with them.

That's ridiculous.
    Kazoo
  4. Sounds like the host is not much of a provider.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    Did you manage to work it out James? I see you are posting reviews again.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I just read his review for Gears of War biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Did you manage to work it out James? I see you are posting reviews again.

Yes, via doing something stupid (I had to kind of reverse engineer the database into a new one which wouldn't feature all the unused space, then delete the original one and replace it with the new one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2013
    Glad you worked it out James. I've been relatively happy with Wordpress especially given the fact that I can now offer audio clips.
    Tom
  5. I'm still mulling over having some sort of a website for my consultancy work and I have been looking at a few options. And I am looking for some feedback on my thoughts.

Based upon what people said before I think that using some sort of a WordPress themed site would be something that fits my needs. I've contacted my current email provider and they say that upgrading with them to their product that features hosting would be ideal for a WordPress-based site. And having continued availability of the domain I currently use is great.

There is one specific WordPress-based theme that caught my eye. And I think that it caught my eye because it looks like an actual website rather than a blog. Here's a link to a site that offers the theme (though I am not at present interested in the theme+hosting+domain package at the moment):

http://themefuse.com/wp-themes-shop/medica/

One of my main questions would be whether this is getting a bit ahead of myself? Currently I am thinking that all WordPress themes will be administrated via the usual dashboard. Is this correct or would a theme such as this Medica need me to know more in order to use it?

Also, would this theme be available from other sites (i.e., are these sites selling themes just theme shops selling products)?

It all seems such a complex thing!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013
    I'm a word press fan having used them for the past seven years and having a modicum of trouble with them. There are a large amount of themes that are free and as long as you don't require audio or video capability you get gigs of space for free as well. You're allowed to put up photos at no additional cost as well. I ended up purchasing the book word press for dummies and I found it to be extremely helpful. I could help you along the way if you wish.
    Tom