• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    A lot of people has blame Disney for his pack of Pirates Trilogy, But I think this is the kind of things we have to support and buy.

You finally bought something, and now all of a sudden you tell us to do the same thing?

I wholeheartedly disagree. The Treasure Chest from the Pirates films is a marketingstunt to sell their old soundtracks they hadn't sold yet. The only people who buy such a thing, are the ones who downloaded the soundtracks in the first place and now they finally go 'well, allright, let's buy it then'.

People who already bought the CD's, because they like to legally buy things, will feel out in the cold. "I already bought this, am I forced to double dipp to get that extra disc!?". They'll get irritated and download the bonusdisc. And in the future, they'll download soundtracks because they're holding out for the inevitable DeLuxe edition.

So now we should get carried away with the marketing tricks? I don't think so. It's things like this that prevent people from buying CD's. They should've delivered new versions of the soundtracks, like filmversions of the music, or complete scores. Then it would be worth double dipping, because it wouldn't make your old purchases obsolete.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    Indeed so, Bob... I've got all three Pirates soundtracks, so even though I have a small interest in hearing the new material, I won't be buying the box set. I find it pretty alienating actually... like all the endless repackaging of Star Wars music, no doubt leading to deluxe editions of the three prequel scores before too long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Indeed so, Bob... I've got all three Pirates soundtracks, so even though I have a small interest in hearing the new material, I won't be buying the box set. I find it pretty alienating actually... like all the endless repackaging of Star Wars music, no doubt leading to deluxe editions of the three prequel scores before too long.

There are other ways to listen the unrealeased suite, James.

Anyway...the suites are so good that makes almost 50 euros worth to pay!

Oh...And for sure, on this way with the third score, the suites and the Dvd are the only way to make me buy the first 2 scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    There are other ways to listen the unrealeased suite, James.

Yes, illegal ones. Which proves my point. They should've released this disc as a standalone as well, for the (true) fans. I would've bought it, probably.

Nautilus wrote
    Anyway...the suites are so good that makes almost 50 euros worth to pay!

Only because you hadn't bought the first 2 scores. If you had already payed a combined 40 euro's for the first 2 scores, which were made obsolete with the purchase of the Treasure Chest, you had actually payed 90 euro's, which is what the fans of also the first 2 scores are facing. You only double dipp the third score, that I would do for an extra DVD and new music, of course, especially when I considered At World's End among the best scores of the year!

Nautilus wrote
    Oh...And for sure, on this way with the third score, the suites and the Dvd are the only way to make me buy the first 2 scores.

Which means you buy into the marketing trick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    BobdH wrote

Only because you hadn't bought the first 2 scores. If you had already payed a combined 40 euro's for the first 2 scores, which were made obsolete with the purchase of the Treasure Chest, you had actually payed 90 euro's.

Now I feel better about spent 50 euros! tongue

You are right Bobdh, Im just saying for the people who hasn't the original scores it's a good buy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can hear the difference even with a 320
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote

Care to explain?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    tongue
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote

Care to explain?

-Erik-

Some people has the theory the human ear can't appreciate more than what 320 bit rate can give.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I like having my music on a physical medium. The digital releases are a more economical (and more prevalent) way to release some true gems out to the public, but I really like physical releases. I just like looking at my collection, going to the case, opening the CD case and popping it in the player. I'm just funny like that.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  1. BobdH wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    A lot of people has blame Disney for his pack of Pirates Trilogy, But I think this is the kind of things we have to support and buy.

You finally bought something, and now all of a sudden you tell us to do the same thing?

I wholeheartedly disagree. The Treasure Chest from the Pirates films is a marketingstunt to sell their old soundtracks they hadn't sold yet. The only people who buy such a thing, are the ones who downloaded the soundtracks in the first place and now they finally go 'well, allright, let's buy it then'.

People who already bought the CD's, because they like to legally buy things, will feel out in the cold. "I already bought this, am I forced to double dipp to get that extra disc!?". They'll get irritated and download the bonusdisc. And in the future, they'll download soundtracks because they're holding out for the inevitable DeLuxe edition.

So now we should get carried away with the marketing tricks? I don't think so. It's things like this that prevent people from buying CD's. They should've delivered new versions of the soundtracks, like filmversions of the music, or complete scores. Then it would be worth double dipping, because it wouldn't make your old purchases obsolete.

Bob, you have more or less captured my thoughts on this point.

I suppose Star Wars and The Lord of The Rings are the two best examples of scores were I have bought multiple versions - and there is substantially more music heard in the second releases. Other "double dipping" tend to be expanded scores such as Total Recall, The Omen scores, Alien, Aliens, etc. But to buy 3 CDs that are identical to what I already have just to get a "bonus" CD? No!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Yep. One example of a score crying out for a limited CD release is John Debney's "Lair". The only commercial release available is at iTunes, but I would prefer a limited CD release with better sound quality.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I suppose Star Wars and The Lord of The Rings are the two best examples of scores were I have bought multiple versions - and there is substantially more music heard in the second releases. Other "double dipping" tend to be expanded scores such as Total Recall, The Omen scores, Alien, Aliens, etc. But to buy 3 CDs that are identical to what I already have just to get a "bonus" CD? No!

Absolutely. If you want to make more money, then at least do it in that way. But also, the music on LotR and SW is different then the music on the first release, so you really buy a different version of the music you own and you can go back to your first, original soundtrack if you want the 'short ride'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    Absolutely. If you want to make more money, then at least do it in that way. But also, the music on LotR and SW is different then the music on the first release, so you really buy a different version of the music you own and you can go back to your first, original soundtrack if you want the 'short ride'.

I'm perfectly content with the short ride. The long ride always makes me sick. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Bregt wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I want to change the subject of this theath a little bit:

A lot of people has blame Disney for his pack of Pirates Trilogy, But I think this is the kind of things we have to support and buy. 3 cd's, a fourth cd with 50 minutes of unrealeased music (plus 20 minutes of remixes for who is interested, so 76 minutes) and a dvd with the making of (mediocre, but it's 45 minutes of zimmer talking to the camera).

So, with more things like these is with we can fight the piratery (Ironically) or the digital downloads (legal or not)

Well, people who already bought the three cores, will likely not buy this set just because of a DVD with some movies and some suites. But hey, I always wait for these boxsets of trilogies. wink

Yeah, they should've released some unreleased music with this set, instead of the regular OSTs all over again.
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    I love the physicality of CDs, in the same way that I love owning books. It's hard to explain if you're a lover of downloads, but it's nice to look at them - and read the liner notes - even if I don't play them. And that applies to all of my music, not just film music.
  2. djdave wrote
    I love the physicality of CDs, in the same way that I love owning books. It's hard to explain if you're a lover of downloads, but it's nice to look at them - and read the liner notes - even if I don't play them. And that applies to all of my music, not just film music.

I do like that physical interaction with the music format. I've archived most of my CDs into storage for the moment and, although I can listen to the tracks whenever I want off my computer, I do miss being able to just look at the booklet, read the track-by-track details or remind myself of the conductor/orchestrator, etc.

Reading your post, it struck me that for all the scores I've downloaded (and I'm thinking of MovieScore Media's stuff here), I haven't even looked at the printable artwork that's available. I'm not even sure of the covers let alone the back covers!! sad
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    True analog material, especially in the LP vinyl format, has a sound that digital has yet to capture. I am currently listening to a London red label mono recording. It doesn't have the dynamic range, frequency response, it just has a warm sound. Some I understand were recorded with one single mike properly placed so perhaps the microphone had something to do with it. When the material is transferred to the digital format something happens to it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    djdave wrote

My thoughts exactly!

However I've got badly burnt with some of the new Italian releases in recent times so I might download them for half price instead of paying a lot for the cds + shipping.

There are so many good Movie Score Media releases that I'd like to get and it's very tempting to switch to downloads to get almost twice as many scores (online) for the same amount (cds).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    True analog material, especially in the LP vinyl format, has a sound that digital has yet to capture. I am currently listening to a London red label mono recording. It doesn't have the dynamic range, frequency response, it just has a warm sound. Some I understand were recorded with one single mike properly placed so perhaps the microphone had something to do with it. When the material is transferred to the digital format something happens to it.
    Tom

But that's not the 320kbps you're noticing, it's simply because it's been converted into digital format.

I love that technology allows me to carry my music wherever I go, and I certainly love that technology allowed me to keep all my CDs at home while I'm at uni rather than having to use a CD player!
  3. Following on from the I Am Legend clips in the other topic (good clips BTW), has anyone had experience using 7digital.com for buying music, CDs or downloads?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    Was Lair ever released somewhere other than iTunes? Somewhere that has it at a good bit rate perhaps...? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why would you want that?

tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why would you want that?

tongue

crazy crazy crazy

Don´t force me to start a battle like the one about AVP2 tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. I think I would be pretty much defensive about Lair biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why would you want that?

tongue

crazy crazy crazy

Don´t force me to start a battle like the one about AVP2 tongue

Aww man, did iTunes kill it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Was Lair ever released somewhere other than iTunes? Somewhere that has it at a good bit rate perhaps...? confused

There was a five track promo sent out by Debney's PR but nothing commercially higher than 128k AAC.

And I am amazed that Demetris would defend a derivative yet entertaining score like AVP:R yet shit all over the far superior Lair. dizzy

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think I would be pretty much defensive about Lair biggrin

Hehe, ok, then I´d be with you in the "Lair Battle" wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012
    sdtom wrote

I wonder if Nautilus has ever pondered this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    Old thread is old.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    Scribe wrote
    Old thread is old.

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.