• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012
    I know we're not going to have a choice in this matter. Like money, mail, movies, and books they're all going to disappear.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  1. I think downloads have been a good thing. Not really noticing any loss of actual quality, instant access to music, the release of music that would otherwise not be released and saving a tidy sum on shipping and handling are great benefits of digital downloads.

I don't think that I could go back to not having them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012
    My contribution to this old thread.

When a CD is affordable (which most of the time is with the amazon reseller system) I prefer the CDs. To me it provides a a nice lossless backup. After buying them, I rip them into itunes and put them in a box.

I have no idea what kind of format will be used in like 10 years. This way I am quite safe for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2012
    What will happen at some point is they will no longer be a standard feature on a computer, the cost of the blanks will increase, and a cd player will increase in price.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    We're already there, Tom.
    My CD player conked out, wanted to purchase a new one...can't do it for love or money!

(Well, not entirely true: but it's -mirabile dicty- the exact same issue I have been having with replacing my records player when it broke down last year: you can either buy a ridiculously cheap USB ones (only useful for recording to PC) or a massively expensive, hi-tech, super design one.

They've become retro gimmicks, things that are status-imbuing rather than household audio appliances.)

MY new PC has no dedicated CD player either.
    It now has a multifunction disk reader/writer.

It is a little harrowing realising you're seeing the end of a medium as a mass product... again. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    No bluray/DVD player? I do not own a CDplayer for many years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Caliburn wrote
    No bluray/DVD player?

That is a multifunction disk reader/writer. smile
    But my PC is not hooked up to the audio system downstairs.

I now play my CDs through the DVD player indeed....but it just doesn't have the same...I dunno...feel to it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I can't remember when I last had a dedicated CD player hooked up to my Gale speakers. I think that I do have it somewhere but all CDs are played through my DVD player. I only really ever listen to music now via digital files - whether it be through headphones/laptop/iPod or when I hook the iPod up to the "big speakers".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I tend to go digital for the better part as well, but I really like the physicality of CDs and records.
    I just -with rather considerable pain and effort- found a new CD storage system that ISN'T from IKEA, and I am looking foward to showcasing my non-soundtrack CDs again.
    It's an esthetics thing as well.
  3. Martijn wrote
    I tend to go digital for the better part as well, but I really like the physicality of CDs and records.
    I just -with rather considerable pain and effort- found a new CD storage system that ISN'T from IKEA, and I am looking foward to showcasing my non-soundtrack CDs again.

Interesting design, but a tad impractical for everyday use I would think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not a bit of it!
    I'm hanging it up tonight (deo volente...) and will post some pictures when it's filled.
    It's really cool!
  4. I think it looks great, but won't the space for the CD disappear when you take a disk that's sitting horizontally in the spiral? Or is there a system where the space is kept open for the CD to be replaced?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah, I see your point!

Well, no, there's no 'placeholder' system....but there's only room for 150 CDs in all (which is plenty for my non-soundtrack collection...or at least those CDs I would like to showcase), which means it's only 10-15 CDs per compartment.
    So it is easy as pie to simply fit the CD back, even when through gravity the horizontal compartments "compact" when you remove one CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

I like it and look forward to the pics, are you filling it with pop, classical etc?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yup!
    Basically everything non-soundtrack that I think is worth showing off!

(All my *soundtracks* are upstairs in my study, and I'd need a couple of dozen snails to showcase those. dizzy )
  5. No adhering to any kind of sorting system then? wink
  6. Martijn wrote
    (All my *soundtracks* are upstairs in my study, and I'd need a couple of dozen snails to showcase those. dizzy )

I have just thought when reading this...would it be possible to buy a digital photo frame and load it up with soundtrack CD artwork and then just have them exhibited on shuffle?

I quite like that idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You know what? That IS a really cool idea!
    I happen to have one spare one, and I think that's exactly what I 'm going to do!!
    (When I have the time... dizzy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No adhering to any kind of sorting system then? wink

For a hundred CDs I need no heavy system.
    I'm sure I'll be able to remember the compartment, and depending on the amounts of alcohol involved I'll be highly unlikely to put a Beatles CD back with Tommy Dorsey...
  7. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    No adhering to any kind of sorting system then? wink

For a hundred CDs I need no heavy system.
    I'm sure I'll be able to remember the compartment, and depending on the amounts of alcohol involved I'll be highly unlikely to put a Beatles CD back with Tommy Dorsey...

Having a sorting system has nothing to do with being able to find anything! Things like CDs, DVDs, etc need to be organised alphabetically or chronologically because they should be!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Errrr...Can I sort them by colour for a more pleasing visual effect?
  8. Martijn wrote
    Errrr...Can I sort them by colour for a more pleasing visual effect?

Yes, but that only works for regular Varese releases (except Star Trek Nemesis) OR Club releases and things like FSM releases.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I *said* it's only NON-soundtracks. angry
    You're just confusing the issue now!
  9. Martijn wrote
    I *said* it's only NON-soundtracks. angry
    You're just confusing the issue now!

Sorry! shame

Soundtracks is my only area of expertise in this matter. I will shut up from now on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    Martijn wrote
    We're already there, Tom.
    My CD player conked out, wanted to purchase a new one...can't do it for love or money!

(Well, not entirely true: but it's -mirabile dicty- the exact same issue I have been having with replacing my records player when it broke down last year: you can either buy a ridiculously cheap USB ones (only useful for recording to PC) or a massively expensive, hi-tech, super design one.

They've become retro gimmicks, things that are status-imbuing rather than household audio appliances.)

MY new PC has no dedicated CD player either.

If you want a CD player they are still available here. I'd think about a Marantz 5004. Check it out and let me know.
    It now has a multifunction disk reader/writer.

It is a little harrowing realising you're seeing the end of a medium as a mass product... again. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For some reason, likely me my response wasn't included. What I was saying is they are available in the US. I'd look at a Marantz 5004 a good compromise in a unit. Good quality under $500 without going bonkers.
    Tom
  10. Tom, your reply was included. It seems to have been incorporated into the bulk of Martijn's original post that you quoted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

I like it and look forward to the pics, are you filling it with pop, classical etc?

Took a bit of doing, but it's up!
    Not properly sorted yet (just bunged the loose CDs in there), but this is pretty much as it will be.
    Very happy with it! Quite stylish.

It was a proper drama actually getting it fitted: the walls apparently are made of reinforced concrete.
    I knew that and had already gotten myself a hammerdrill to get through it....but what I didn't know is that -apparently- it's been reinforced by steel....which meant my metal/pipes/stud detector went absolutely haywire all over the wall! Utter panic!

Anyway, I realised after some research that it was *probably* just the metal reinforcement of the prefab concrete proper, so I took a chance. Luckily it paid off.
    The upshot of the alternative would have been that I'd be having legions of plumbers, plasterers and electricians in now. :scream:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If you hit the electrics it wouldn't have been you calling them in. dizzy

Looks promising, I like it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. It does look good - though you need to straighten up that pile near the middle. wink