• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    Why We still buy cd's? I mean...We pay 20 euros for buy a cd that probably only will be used for rip into our portatile Mp3....

What do you think? we buy scores because we want to have the cover and the package only? then What about download scores from Itunes where we will not have covers or the phisical cd?

thoughts please...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    CDs are digital too... biggrin

Seriously though, I will only go over to purely electronic purchases when the prices have dropped to nigh-zero. If I buy something to keep (as opposed to going to a film or concert), I want something to show for it, and something to be able to look at as I'm doing right now at my six cabinets filled with CDs.

It just feels better (in a really anal and materialistic way slant ).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    So...Do you want look to your room and see real cd's even if you will not put in your player because you will play your Winamp selection?

What can be the solution ? How we can have the package and no have a unuseful cd in our home?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who said that we only play the mp3's? I am not too fond of those in general and i keep playing my CDs all the time, even if that means they get marks from the time and usage, i don't care. Nothing beats opening the case, smelling the bootleg, putting the CD in, pressing play, hearing it spinning in the first few seconds before it takes off; nothing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007 edited
    As for digital releases, i don't have a problem with them as long as they're the economic and easy way to get the music you like but if you ask me, in my ideal world, everything would go out on CD alone and those would be cheap enough for me to actually buy on CD the ones i want to. And i'd have a house 10 times the flat i am currently living in with CD-shelves like the ones Erik has but multiplied in order to carry my hordes of CDs. I'd so love that, and i'd immediately ditch every single External HDD or DVD with mp3s i now have.

Oh and did i also mention that i am probably one of those 15 music-lovers in the entire world that are between 15-55 and don't currently own nor do they plan to get a portable mp3 player? shame wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't mind a digital release if it's the only economical way of releasing the music, but I hate the concept. I changed computers a couple of months ago and it's so much bloody effort to transfer everything off one onto the other, and so much effort to convince various applications that things I have bought do actually belong to me even though they find themselves on a different computer, and it'll only be worse next time I change. Add to that the crappy sound, the sheer inconvenience and what not and I just hate the whole thing. But like I said, if it's really the only way of releasing it, I guess it's better than nothing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Who said that we only play the mp3's? I am not too fond of those in general and i keep playing my CDs all the time, even if that means they get marks from the time and usage, i don't care. Nothing beats opening the case, smelling the bootleg, putting the CD in, pressing play, hearing it spinning in the first few seconds before it takes off; nothing.

Some people said that about LP's.

Some people STILL say that about LP's!? wink cool

p.s. D, I'm one of your 15 biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    In order for me to fully embrace the digital release is for iTunes... are whomever is supplying the files... to encode them at the highest bit rate possible. Ideally uncompressed WAV, DRM Free with a high quality full art work (at least 300 dpi). This way I have the option to burn the files to CD and have the exact same sound quality I would have if I purchased the physical disc. Now, this does cause problems in the storage of the files. WAV's are gigantic. However, once downloaded now have the option to re-encode these uncompressed files to whatever format I choose and to whatever bit rate I choose. I can now discard the WAV's or back them up to a DVD or burn a music disc.

But, again, WAV files are HUGE so the download will take some time and some people don't have the skills to re-encode the files. So, to compromise, the consumer has additional choices at varied bit rates and files types. 320K, 256k, all the way down to 192k MP3, AAC, WMA, etc. The minimum bit rate would be 192k. Now, this would help solve the space issue. For those that have smaller hard drives and don't necessarily care about high quality uncompressed sound can now purchase the lower res 192K file of their choice. In additional, no matter what size file you select they are all the same price. $0.99 per track or $9.99 per album.

That's my solution in the nutshell.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Many of us are glorified bottlecap collectors Jordi. We like to have things. Someone gave me a burnt DVD earlier this year with IMAGES, MONSIGNOR, LIFEFORCE, ALIEN and others all in fairly good quality formats. That didn't stop me buying all those CDs, and in fact I didn't listen to the music until I had them on CD - there simply wasn't enough time. There are some things I'm more likely to buy for download than on CD, but even with some of Mikael's borderline Movie Score Media releases, I'll usually take the risk of purchasing the CD in case I really like it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    In order for me to fully embrace the digital release is for iTunes... are whomever is supplying the files... to encode them at the highest bit rate possible. Ideally uncompressed WAV, DRM Free with a high quality full art work (at least 300 dpi). This way I have the option to burn the files to CD and have the exact same sound quality I would have if I purchased the physical disc. Now, this does cause problems in the storage of the files. WAV's are gigantic. However, once downloaded now have the option to re-encode these uncompressed files to whatever format I choose and to whatever bit rate I choose. I can now discard the WAV's or back them up to a DVD or burn a music disc.

But, again, WAV files are HUGE so the download will take some time and some people don't have the skills to re-encode the files. So, to compromise, the consumer has additional choices at varied bit rates and files types. 320K, 256k, all the way down to 192k MP3, AAC, WMA, etc. The minimum bit rate would be 192k. Now, this would help solve the space issue. For those that have smaller hard drives and don't necessarily care about high quality uncompressed sound can now purchase the lower res 192K file of their choice. In additional, no matter what size file you select they are all the same price. $0.99 per track or $9.99 per album.

That's my solution in the nutshell.

-Erik-
    worth getting, IMHO.

I agree with you 100%. IMHO, iTunes sucks, and so do MP3s and M4As. They're all lossy encoding and even a 320kbps MP3 can sound like a wimp on a good quality audio player compared to an original CD. When I have to listen to my stuff on the computer, I rip them in lossless like APE or FLAC (which take much less space than WAV files), rarely MP3. So I bet original CDs are really worth getting.
    • CommentAuthorTrekkinD
    I'm still very much fond of the CD, I've never bought a digital release, and don't really want to. I'm sure I'm missing some great stuff, but I won't enjoy it at the lower resolution. Honestly, it's a lot more satifisying to browse through real CD's to find something to listen to than to browse on the computer or an MP3 player. I've embraced MP3's to use for taking music outside the house and to work, it's a lot simpler than picking out what CDs to bring and saves wear and tear. However, I'm used to purchasing CD-Quality audio and I don't want to pay for anything less. It's a pain enough to manage the MP3's that I have encoded from CDs to make sure that I have them properly backed up (I don't know why I take as much time with it, the CD counts as a backup.)

I'd probably reconsider if (hopefully a win) they started offering uncompressed downloads like Erik suggested above, but if there is an option, I'd go for the CD. I think that Moviescore media has the right idea of offering all the different formats including CDs for those who want them.

Another thing is that I don't want to pay for something at 128kps and in a couple years have to purchase it again at 256kps if I wanted the higher sound quality. (I'd only purchase at a low bit rate, if there was a promise of a free upgrade when the music appears online at a higher bit-rate.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I have hundreds of CDs, but never play them. All the music has been transferred on my computer. I love that I can find and play anything in want in a couple of seconds. I love that I can make huge playlists on my computer with all my favorite tracks. I love that I can rate my stuff, and if I want to hear my 4 and 5 stars tracks by a certain composer, I'll simply set up a playlist with such rules, and there it is. CDs are such a pain.

Peter punk
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Buying a download would feel just the same as downloading for free. If I want mp3's I'd rip them from my original cd and that's that. As far as the price mentioned in the first post... I rarely pay 20 euros for a cd. I've made a few exceptions these last few years, but other than that it's always much lower. I only buy scores from ebay and shops when they're really low and don't have the urge to purchase new releases. So if new cd's will dissapear, there would still be more than enough older cd's to buy. And I would get mp3 releases for free and have absolutely no problem with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    They're all lossy encoding and even a 320kbps MP3 can sound like a wimp on a good quality audio player compared to an original CD.

Sorry, but that's such a placebo affect. You really do need Superman's ears to be able to her the difference between that and the original CD.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    They're all lossy encoding and even a 320kbps MP3 can sound like a wimp on a good quality audio player compared to an original CD.

Sorry, but that's such a placebo affect. You really do need Superman's ears to be able to her the difference between that and the original CD.

Yeah exactly. There's a cut off point somewhere around the 220kbps limit where the human ear can't tell a difference. And any difference you did hear would probably be because of the way the MP3 player was mixing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

It is when you listen to the music on speakers, on your pc, stereo, or just in 'everyday life'. When I listen to scores, it's mostly with my discman and earplugs, on bed, late in the evening. Then, I assure you, nothing beats the original CD, though it depends on the nature of the music (the grandeur of it is a big factor, for example). That's also why I'm suspiciously looking at the digital (sorry: iTunes / MP3) market; I want my CD's to be factory pressed, so you're sure there are no hitches from the download, or from when you burned the disc yourself. You don't want to worry about the transitions (iTunes tracks don't have nice transitions; they're tracks in itself, so they can be purchases standalone), you pay for others others to worry about it. So you can buy a CD, flip it in your CD-player, and just listen.

The only improvement of this whole digital (iTunes) era, is that certain music that othermise might never've seen the light of day, now get a channel to be released. For that music, I would pay for a download. It is concerning, however, that they are more and more keeping good music from being released on CD just to get an iTunes exclusive as a marketing trick. It's 'cheating', and I fear it'll be a much more often used trick, just because a downloadable file is so much cheaper to put on the market then a good CD.

So, I keep my fingers crossed and hope, one day, some recordlabels will come to their senses again. I do not want to do everything with my computer (hell, they even have digital novels! Papers! They force us into 24/7 computeraddicts!).
  2. My main gripe with downloads has always been not having the physical CD in the hand - actually holding the CD helps me to feel like I actually have the music. Downloading a bunch of tracks, they immediately get filed in a folder and/or transferred to my mp3 player. Somehow, it doesn't seem to register as much as having the CD - even after having listened to the music!!

The quality of the encoding has never been an issue with me: 192kbps wma, 320kbps mp3, etc. I can't really tell the difference in most cases. And compression needs to be pretty bad for any music to sound as bad as something like Max Steiner's She - and I can listen to that for the music rather than criticise the quality of the sound.

We should be happy that there are download-only releases if it means that more music is available: more music to sample and expand exposure to new composers. I regularly buy Mikael's scores online - and they are great. However, when I was sent some of his releases on CD I am now drawn to buy the CDs rather than as downloads. I really like the packaging of his CDs and I'm prepared to pay more for the physical CD.

I don't like that some scores are released exclusively by iTunes - these scores should be available in all downloadable formats.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I always want the real deal, meaning a CD, it feels just right to support the filmmusic labels that way
    But I can't afford to buy everything I wanna here, so I guess you have to make a choice, buy what you absolutely want and sadly go for a download approach for the others

Its sad because there was a time I purchased everything, but you can't keep doing that.
    Honestly I believe the digital age also makes sure that scores that usually never would have been released now are brought forward as download, I think it actually stimulated the industry a bit
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Tommy_Boy wrote
    I always want the real deal, meaning a CD, it feels just right to support the filmmusic labels that way
    But I can't afford to buy everything I wanna here, so I guess you have to make a choice, buy what you absolutely want and sadly go for a download approach for the others.

Are you talking about "unauthorised downloading" here?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    I always want the real deal, meaning a CD, it feels just right to support the filmmusic labels that way
    But I can't afford to buy everything I wanna here, so I guess you have to make a choice, buy what you absolutely want and sadly go for a download approach for the others.

Are you talking about "unauthorised downloading" here?

actually both, the paying and the non paying, but the paying download is cheaper than the actual CD, I guess its easier to publish the scores as downloads if an actual CD would not make a lot of money
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Very true. Sites such as iTunes have provided scores that would not make it to CD because of money. I'm very thankful for that. smile
  6. don't get me wrong, I still want the real deal. But even though filmmusic has a gained a lot more interest these last couple of years, we still have to accept it isn't the biggest best selling genre out there

So you must actuall applaud the download way of life
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I think I have finally realized WHY people say stuff like that. It's probably because they've downloaded and listened to 320k MP3s that were encoded from a lossy source, like a previous download or a lossy bootleg, and thus it's not really 320 even though its encoded that way. Make sense? If you're playing a 320k mp3 that you ripped yourself, properly, from a commercial CD, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007 edited
    One thing about downloads is that there's no chance of your music being unplayable because of the disc being cracked. The George and The Dragon CD I had received today was cracked and won't play in my player.

But, on balance, there are reasons why downloaded tracks won't play either!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    One thing about downloads is that there's no chance of your music being unplayable because of the disc being cracked. The George and The Dragon CD I had received today was cracked and won't play in my player.

Ow? As in cracked by the post dilevery companies?

I once had a total package broken from the sleeve to the part where the cd starts! I was very lucky the cd's werent broken, but te cover art was totally wasted on one side (the part where probably a machine put all its weight on. Bad machine!!!)
    Kazoo
  7. Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Ow? As in cracked by the post dilevery companies?

I assume so. It's usually Intrada CD cases that are trashed (and usually the teeth in the centre holding the disc in place). But I've never had a cracked CD before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    I have LP's and still listen to them. I have cassettes and still listen to them. I have CD's and still listen to them. But I listen through a nice amp and good speakers, not a computer and headphones which doesn't compare at all to the quality of the electronics I have. I don't have an MP3 player and have no desire to get one.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007 edited
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I bet I have Superman's ears, then wink LOL

Scribe wrote
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I think I have finally realized WHY people say stuff like that. It's probably because they've downloaded and listened to 320k MP3s that were encoded from a lossy source, like a previous download or a lossy bootleg, and thus it's not really 320 even though its encoded that way. Make sense? If you're playing a 320k mp3 that you ripped yourself, properly, from a commercial CD, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Hey there, I do not download albums, I buy them (unless I relly can't find them, then I use iTunes) and sometimes copy friends' CDs, and then rip them onto my computer. Actually I ripped a CD to 320 kbps and then FLAC, and there was, if not a lot, pretty significant difference. But again, that's my opinion, don't be furious over it. We've all got different listening "capacities" (sorry, I don't know how to express it correctly, I mean we all listen to different stuff differently) not to mention have got different sound equipment and while some cannot tell the difference between a 128kbps MP3 and an APE file, some are not satisfied with a 320 kbps MP3 either. I'm afraid I fall into the second category :P though it sometimes happens that the original quality of the CD recording itself is not very good (very rarely).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    I want to change the subject of this theath a little bit:

A lot of people has blame Disney for his pack of Pirates Trilogy, But I think this is the kind of things we have to support and buy. 3 cd's, a fourth cd with 50 minutes of unrealeased music (plus 20 minutes of remixes for who is interested, so 76 minutes) and a dvd with the making of (mediocre, but it's 45 minutes of zimmer talking to the camera).

So, with more things like these is with we can fight the piratery (Ironically) or the digital downloads (legal or not)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    Nautilus wrote
    I want to change the subject of this theath a little bit:

A lot of people has blame Disney for his pack of Pirates Trilogy, But I think this is the kind of things we have to support and buy. 3 cd's, a fourth cd with 50 minutes of unrealeased music (plus 20 minutes of remixes for who is interested, so 76 minutes) and a dvd with the making of (mediocre, but it's 45 minutes of zimmer talking to the camera).

So, with more things like these is with we can fight the piratery (Ironically) or the digital downloads (legal or not)

Well, people who already bought the three cores, will likely not buy this set just because of a DVD with some movies and some suites. But hey, I always wait for these boxsets of trilogies. wink
    Kazoo