• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I've just been listening to the original re-recorded album of 'E.T.' which I've always preferred as a listening experience.

One moment that I've always found noticeable by it's absence is the "cameo" of Yoda's theme in the Halloween track. It's very fun to hear it pop up but it's also an incredibly beautiful musical moment.

It got me thinking as to where else this has happened, a theme from another unrelated film popping up for a "cameo" in another score, not including sequels, remakes etc. Can anyone think of any?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    Two James Bond cameos come to mind, the use of Lawrence of Arabia in The Spy Who Loved Me and The Magnificent Seven in Moonraker ( which also includes the five note motiv from Close Encounters ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    James Horner
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Not what I was getting at...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    James Horner

10 kudos points to D for most appropriate use of 'James Horner' in a long time. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Last Action Hero includes the terrorist theme from Die Hard.

The Incredibles includes the V2 rocket theme from Medal Of Honor.

Lost includes the U-boat motif from Medal Of Honor.

Speed Racer includes Matthew Fox's/Jack's motif from Lost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I believe John is more going for the intended cameo's of a theme from another film for comedic effect, not another thread for the unoriginal re-usage of themes...
  3. Exactly, I think we've been down that tiresome road enough times in the past...

And great examples Tim and Anthony! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Do sequel scores also count? I mean, like the ark theme popping up in THE LAST CRUSADE and so on?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Why what an interesting grey area Thor! I was trying to avoid sequel scores and just concentrate on intended reprisal of a theme from another unrelated film but that's an interesting one as it is a cameo by the Ark theme although the Ark itself has no real connection to 'The Last Crusade' (other than being a sequel to 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' of course) so yes, it's in!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ah, so Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and it's short cameo of the Ark theme in the opening IS allowed as well? Then that;s my entry :P.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's also a brief statement of Live And Let Die in The Man With The Golden Gun where Bond see's Sheriff Pepper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Giacchino's MOH: Underground theme pops up in Ratatouille.

Goldsmith's Gremlins Rag theme pops up in Looney Tunes: Back in Action when our heroes jump into a 1970 AMC Gremlin.

Goldsmith uses his Patton theme in The 'burbs.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

Goldsmith's Gremlins Rag theme pops up in Looney Tunes: Back in Action when our heroes jump into a 1970 AMC Gremlin.

Goldsmith uses his Patton theme in The 'burbs.

-Erik-

I've always felt that the gremlin motif (the descending theme) appears - quite appropriately - in the gremlin-on-the-wing scene in TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE too, but it's probably the other way around, as TW is from 1983 and GREMLINS from 1984.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    I've always felt that the gremlin motif (the descending theme) appears - quite appropriately - in the gremlin-on-the-wing scene in TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE too, but it's probably the other way around, as TW is from 1983 and GREMLINS from 1984.

That's interesting! If the appearance of the theme really is unmistakable, that means Goldsmith's might've based a main theme of a film on what's essentially a minor theme written for television! Or he might've known back then already that he was going to score Gremlins, and already did some preparations in advance?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

No matter how many times I listen to that four seconds of music, I just can't hear it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    That's interesting! If the appearance of the theme really is unmistakable, that means Goldsmith's might've based a main theme of a film on what's essentially a minor theme written for television! Or he might've known back then already that he was going to score Gremlins, and already did some preparations in advance?

Well, judge for yourself at about 3:20 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQVmAWgl68

Either way, it's probably a little beside the point John was getting at.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Going back to Indiana Jones (which seems to be laced with this stuff) there's a quote of 'The Basket Game' from Raiders prior to the bridge sequence in Temple of Doom.
  5. A major theme from Bernstein's 'Saturn 3' was reprised a year later in 'Heavy Metal' (Taarna's theme). Deliberately done by the composer however.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

No matter how many times I listen to that four seconds of music, I just can't hear it!

shocked

Here, have a listen. First is the MOH:U theme and then the section with the cameo in Ratatouille right after.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

shocked

Here, have a listen. First is the MOH:U theme and then the section with the cameo in Ratatouille right after.

-Erik-

I couldn't hear much similarity there either, to be honest...there are, maybe, two similar notes, but that's it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's the first five notes of the theme! It's right there!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    But why is that theme there?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    BobdH wrote

Well, judge for yourself at about 3:20 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQVmAWgl68

Either way, it's probably a little beside the point John was getting at.

Yes, that does sound very much like an early concept of the Gremlins theme, no mistake about it! Cool!

And... I believe this kind of stuff is exactly what John is getting at, I believe? Unlike the bickering above about the themes that incidentally find their way into other works of the composer...
  6. I love that descending three notes figure that Powell use in his scores. He used it in Paycheck, X Men: The Last Stand, Horton Hears A Who and How To Train Your Dragon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010
    BobdH wrote

Because Manon, the main character in MOH:U, fights for the French Resistance. Ratatouille takes place in Paris.

-Erik-
  7. It is in the scene where a character mentions another character worked with the Resistance and as Erik told, it's also Paris.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    BobdH wrote

Because Manon, the main character in MOH:U, fights for the French Resistance. Ratatouille takes place in Paris.

-Erik-

You know games !!! beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. Yeah, got a PSX emulator and actually downloaded MoH: U biggrin

Cool game, though I also got Airborne on PS3 (did you know it's actually FullHD? 1080p??), will give more attention to it later.

I haven't played Guns of the Patriots for a while, got into Tiger Woods PGA 2010 recently with my dad biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2010
    I enjoyed the small tribute paid Steiner in the new Peter Jackson King Kong Film.
    listen to more classical music!