• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011
    http://www.empireonline.com/features/2011-preview/

Start drooling already (or laughing in some cases wink )
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011 edited
    PLus a huge list of titles and their trailers covering many many 2011 major movies!

http://www.alltrailers.net/year/2011
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of those listed, I look really forward to

TINTIN (Spielberg, 3D, Jackson, Williams!)
    BLACK SWAN (since everyone raves about it at montages)
    THE TEMPEST (Taymour+Goldenthal)
    HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, PART 2 (final film!)
    THE TREE OF LIFE (it's a new Malick, for cryin' out loud!)

I think these look like a great fun:

127 HOURS
    TRUE GRIT
    THE THING
    THE HANGOVER 2
    BATTLEFIELD LOS ANGELES
    RISE OF THE APES
    PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
    CONAN

I have expectations, but also some worry for this:

WAR HORSE (it's Spielberg & Williams, but I hate animal movies)

And this is going to be awesomest movie ever, as I'm sure D would agree:

JUSTIN BIEBER: NEVER SAY NEVER 3D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap! Giggidy!

I found THE TEMPEST by Goldenthal virtually unlistenable on cd , no matter how many times i tried listening to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeap! Giggidy!

I found THE TEMPEST by Goldenthal virtually unlistenable on cd , no matter how many times i tried listening to it.

Still waiting for my CD in the mail, but I've listened to through it once at facebook, and I loved it! (no surprise there).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I look forward to TREE OF LIFE, THE GRANDMASTERS (Wong Kar Wai: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462900/, assuming it gets finished!), and the handful of arty festival films I don't know about yet that will make the year in film worth it.*

* 2010's version of this film was the incomparable UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES, the very deserving Thai winner of the Palme D'or.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    GRANDMASTERS scored by Umebayashi i presume?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I look forward to TREE OF LIFE, THE GRANDMASTERS (Wong Kar Wai: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462900/, assuming it gets finished!), and the handful of arty festival films I don't know about yet that will make the year in film worth it.*

* 2010's version of this film was the incomparable UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES, the very deserving Thai winner of the Palme D'or.

I found BOONMEE fascinating for the first 45 minutes or so, but after that I fell off. Not necessarily because of the slow pace, which I usually love, but because it got lost in its own ambitions. It just became pretentious, confusing and soulless. Sorry. Loved the moody opening, though, up untill you see the silhouette of the creature in the woods. And the dinner scene.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Of those listed, I look really forward to

TINTIN (Spielberg, 3D, Jackson, Williams!)
    BLACK SWAN (since everyone raves about it at montages)
    THE TEMPEST (Taymour+Goldenthal)
    HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, PART 2 (final film!)
    THE TREE OF LIFE (it's a new Malick, for cryin' out loud!)

I think these look like a great fun:

127 HOURS
    TRUE GRIT
    THE THING
    THE HANGOVER 2
    BATTLEFIELD LOS ANGELES
    RISE OF THE APES
    PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
    CONAN

I have expectations, but also some worry for this:

WAR HORSE (it's Spielberg & Williams, but I hate animal movies)

And this is going to be awesomest movie ever, as I'm sure D would agree:

JUSTIN BIEBER: NEVER SAY NEVER 3D

I've seen Justin Bieber described as "the singing foetus" biggrin

Don't kick me but I really wanna see THOR and CAPTAIN AMERICA and CONAN.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They're remaking Conan?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeap! I believe it's released this year. I shudder to think who might score it though? Whoever takes on that task will be someone capable of walking up hills but being asked to climb Mount Everest.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Yeap! I believe it's released this year. I shudder to think who might score it though? Whoever takes on that task will be someone capable of walking up hills but being asked to climb Mount Everest.

I've heard that Justin Bieber will score it. If anyone can do it, he can.

sorry, enough Justin Bieber jokes for the day...it's all in D's honour.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    D woulde like to oil him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And vice versa.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin cheesy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bring on Mission Impossible 4 and The Burma Conspiracy please. smile
  2. Timmer wrote

For now the composer name is Tyler Bates. The only other option that was rumoured was Steve Jablonsky.

And no, I am not kidding.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HA!

*lost total interest*
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

For now the composer name is Tyler Bates. The only other option that was rumoured was Steve Jablonsky.

From Mt everest to a mole hill! rolleyes

Woe on this film....wooooooooooooooe!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    HA!

*lost total interest*

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure that last year I bought less scores than I've ever bought before ( which was not the case with the multitude of fabulous releases of older scores and re-recordings from FSM, LLL, Intrada, Prometheus etc ), admittedly I haven't heard a lot of them but of what I have heard it's been, with a few notable exceptions, very poor.

Very good though they are, even those "notable exceptions" didn't knock me out, this year I will hope that at least one, just one score will blow my friggin brains out.

I'll not be holding my breath.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahaha, i was going to say Djawadi or Bates as a joke.
  3. PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

I heard good things about his score for The Way, so maybe he finally have a chance to throw the annoying electronics and make a good score
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011
    Depends on your idea of a good score, there's no way his kids feet are gonna fill Basil's size 50's.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Depends on your idea of a good score, there's no way his kids feet are gonna fill Basil's size 50's.

Maybe he don't, but at least he's trying to get rid of 300 sound. In Filmtracks someone watched The Way and said that Bates's music had strings and piano solos. Also, his score for What's The Worst That Could Happen? (a 2003 comedy with Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito) was very funky and jazzistic, nothing like 300, The Day The Earth Stood Still and Watchmen.
  5. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I look forward to TREE OF LIFE, THE GRANDMASTERS (Wong Kar Wai: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462900/, assuming it gets finished!), and the handful of arty festival films I don't know about yet that will make the year in film worth it.*

I found BOONMEE fascinating for the first 45 minutes or so, but after that I fell off. Not necessarily because of the slow pace, which I usually love, but because it got lost in its own ambitions. It just became pretentious, confusing and soulless. Sorry. Loved the moody opening, though, up untill you see the silhouette of the creature in the woods. And the dinner scene.

Thor, it only amazes me when we do agree on a matter of taste. The disagreements are too many for me to expect much else. wink It was my only magic time in a 2010 cinema, blessed with an artist's perspective without the pretentiousness that would have come from a European/American version of the same film.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    GRANDMASTERS scored by Umebayashi i presume?

I think I heard something about Frankie Chan (who did Wong's old martial art films, Ashes of Time too) being the composer, which is appropriate given the subject matter. Score is always hard to guess at in Wong films -- as he says in interviews, he doesn't know how to speak to film composers, and he often gets better results if he gets to them to write music for something else and then edits it into the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, Umebayashi wrote some excellent material for him all the years, for a director who can't speak to film composers smile How did he do that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Thor, it only amazes me when we do agree on a matter of taste. The disagreements are too many for me to expect much else. wink It was my only magic time in a 2010 cinema, blessed with an artist's perspective without the pretentiousness that would have come from a European/American version of the same film.

True, we seldom see eye to eye on taste matters, even though we both share an interest in non-Hollywood fare. So let's form an "alternative film club" - you and me and Joep - and we'll discuss our hearts out. smile
    I am extremely serious.