• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Just over a million people, byt average ticket price, and divide that by American's total movie going population...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011
    Largo Winch 2 - Sandy Desplat

I like this but nobody else seems to. I'm barely familiar with the first score at all (I think I've listened to it once) - was it so much better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote

I like this but nobody else seems to. I'm barely familiar with the first score at all (I think I've listened to it once) - was it so much better?

Ah, OK, after the fantastic opening it does get a trifle dull, I admit.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011 edited
    James, I highly urge you to check out the first score. It's better in every way. LW2 is electronic heavy action and dull underscore.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

Ah, OK, after the fantastic opening it does get a trifle dull, I admit.

My main problem with it that a 60+ minute album of the material was a bit stretching at times.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Hawk - Stuart Hancock

I was ripping this CD to my PC and my heart sank when I read a comment from the composer in the liner notes: "...the music actually developed from an initially more theme-based composition into a more texture-based one...the music only finally opens up fully, in terms of direct thematic material...in "The Rising Soul" [the end credits]."

And sure enough, after having listened to the CD, tracks 1 and 13 are the ones I will be visiting again. Maybe I need to see the movie (what are the chances of that for a 40-minute film that's taken 8 years to be made?) to fully appreciate the textures.

Are PR companies promotions for soundtracks in general getting better at shifting numbers ("Any fan of Howard Shore’s Lord of the Rings trilogy scores will love Hawk as it is filled with dark and mesmerizing themes") or are I becoming more of a softy? Hawk is not what I was expecting and it's going to take a lot longer for me to "get" this.

I'd be interested to hear what other people think of this one.

I have heard the first 8 tracks of it and I needed to stop listening, it was just so uninteresting. I'm actually forcing myself to listen to it again, you're really not the only one
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Liberty Heights - Andrea Morricone

Exceptional. I remember thinking that this guy was destined to follow in his father's footsteps - surprised I've not heard of anything new from him in a long time, now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Cassandra Crossing - Jerry Goldsmith

Jezza's most underrated score. Beautifully filters the 70s Euro-thriller style of people like Barry, Legrand and Morricone with some vintage, unmistakable pure Goldsmith action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Hi-Lo Country - Carter Burwell

He lets go in this score in a way he rarely has in any other. Hugely enjoyable.
  3. NP: Murder in the First (Christopher Young)

One of his most moving. I think I will play it again.
    There is an interesting, and I hope fans of Young forgive me for saying this, but I think it's never too hard to figure out what temp music he was presented with, or what his inspirations were, if that is another way of looking at it. (In this case, you can hear the first track go from Barber's Adagio to the Intermezzo from Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana.)
    Does anyone know if the music works well in the film? Listening to it today, I can't help but think it's all so consistently moving over the whole album that it could get a bit overbearing in the film?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Sneakers - James Horner

A classic score from Horner's early years. It's amazing how much of what's made Horner (in)famous to this day started with this score: the Genius theme, the crashing pianos..."Playtronics Break-In" is a feat in itself.
  5. NP: Cold Mountain (Gabriel Yared)

A beautiful score, which Yared carries with typical elegance. There are two main themes, and a clutch of other one-off melodies. The themes themselves are simple, in the style of hymns of the time, but by no means that minimal kind of nothing theme that pops up in all scores but can rarely be noticed. Some of the best cues on the Oscar promo went unused in the film -- including the overture-style introduction to all the themes (replaced a gorgeous piece of sound design and music editing by Walter Murch's team); and the flowing epilogue cue.

Now onto... De Battre Mon Couer S'est Arrete (Desplat). I would like to make a film to this one day.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011
    NP:Jane Eyre - Dario Mareanelli

I'm alone at work. The day is a bit dark and I'm always in a melancholic mood during Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and the atmosphere of the score ties perfectly with what I feel. I like this one for its darkness, its moodiness and the use of the piano. One word comes to my mind: heartbreaking.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Murder in the First (Christopher Young)

One of his most moving. I think I will play it again.
    There is an interesting, and I hope fans of Young forgive me for saying this, but I think it's never too hard to figure out what temp music he was presented with, or what his inspirations were, if that is another way of looking at it. (In this case, you can hear the first track go from Barber's Adagio to the Intermezzo from Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana.)
    Does anyone know if the music works well in the film? Listening to it today, I can't help but think it's all so consistently moving over the whole album that it could get a bit overbearing in the film?

Superb score, one of my favourites. Taps into my beloved religious sound too, although the influences are clearly visible (but not for the worse). Could be without the raunchy marches that break up the mood, however. Haven't seen the film in ages, so don't remember how it works there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011
    Stavroula wrote
    NP:Jane Eyre - Dario Mareanelli

I'm alone at work. The day is a bit dark and I'm always in a melancholic mood during Maundy Thursday and Good Friday and the atmosphere of the score ties perfectly with what I feel. I like this one for its darkness, its moodiness and the use of the piano. One word comes to my mind: heartbreaking.

My favorite score of the year so far.

Thor wrote

Superb score, one of my favourites. Taps into my beloved religious sound too, although the influences are clearly visible (but not for the worse). Could be without the raunchy marches that break up the mood, however. Haven't seen the film in ages, so don't remember how it works there.

Also one of my favorite scores, stunning music. Those cues that break up the mood are really annoying but I never listen to them, I just remove them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Murder in the First (Christopher Young)

I've watched the film multiple times and thanks to the music and great acting (especially Kevin Bacon and Gary Oldman) it's a very emotional film, a real heartfelt drama where the music has all the room to shine and makes you care for what happens at every moment. If you love the score, the film won't disappoint.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. BLOOD+ - MARK MANCINA

In 2006 Mancina returned to his 90s style and delivered a melodic, rhythmic and fun score with some bloody great cues near the end of the album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    BLOOD+ - MARK MANCINA

In 2006 Mancina returned to his 90s style and delivered a melodic, rhythmic and fun score with some bloody great cues near the end of the album.

If I remember Demetris' comments from a while back, don't be tempted by the second disc from Blood+ "Original Soundtrack 2". A bit of a snoozer compared with the first CD. I was tempted by the second because of the quality of the themes from the original CD: "more of the same" I thought. But Demetris' comments put me off.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    Liberty Heights - Andrea Morricone

Exceptional. I remember thinking that this guy was destined to follow in his father's footsteps - surprised I've not heard of anything new from him in a long time, now.

Indeed, that extraordinary score should have been his big break. I think that even though he has inherited much of his father's talents, he hasn't inherited the energy and the work ethic. Ennio is in his 80s and he still seems to churn out more scores than his son.

Btw, James, if you haven't heard his L'inchiesta yet, that's another great score. It's more in the Gladiator vein, so an entirely different score from Liberty heights.

Peter smile
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    BLOOD+ - MARK MANCINA

If I remember Demetris' comments from a while back, don't be tempted by the second disc from Blood+ "Original Soundtrack 2". A bit of a snoozer compared with the first CD. I was tempted by the second because of the quality of the themes from the original CD: "more of the same" I thought. But Demetris' comments put me off.

I had listened to both volumes, and yes, the second holds nothing that makes the first worthwile.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    BLOOD+ - MARK MANCINA

I had listened to both volumes, and yes, the second holds nothing that makes the first worthwile.

indeed, the first is typical Mancina and fun to listen to, the second is boring as hell
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh