• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: BLACK RAIN (Hans Zimmer/various)

Some fine songs, a classy power ballad (by Zimmer) and a suite of his earliest fullblown power anthem score. It could stand up to an EXPANDED release, though! shocked

WHAAAAAAA ........ ??????? shocked shocked shocked

omg

Thor wants an expanded release !!!!!!!!!!

Can somebody wake me up?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Secret of the Sahara - Ennio Morricone

First listen...

I'll be interested to know what you think of this one, it's a favourite of mine.

I think I need another listen to think about it. I'll tell you in a year or so.

Dismissed it already eh!? rolleyes

Indeed, that's a bit quick. Zimmer used "Kerim" in "Gladiator" and Tarantino used "The mountain" in "Inglorious basterds" so obviously others find something noteworthy in this score.

The main theme, the two "dedications" and the beautiful love theme "Miriam an Philip" are well worth to listen to as well.

Of course for some people slow=boring, so not surprising it will be dismissed undeservedly from time to time.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011
    Seriously? Sahara is one of his most beautiful scores, moving and mesmerizing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE PRINCE OF EGYPT - HANS ZIMMER & STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

Undeniably one of Hans' very best with tremendous song writing by Stephen Schwartz that complement the score in every sense. The music is incredibly heartfelt one time, very uplifting another time, and it never fails to capture the feeling that I'm listening to genuine film music magic, of the kind that doesn't come along very often anymore. As I'm writing this 'The Burning Bush' is playing and this is without a doubt one of Zimmer's top compositions, so rich in emotion and melody that I'm always crying my eyes out... Of course the songs are just as great and tell the story in superb musical form, and they're always inspiring and powerful. There's hardly a track that goes by where I'm not feeling some sort of emotion. The Prince of Egypt remains top 5 Zimmer for me and here's hoping he writes something as emotionally stirring again in the near future.

Entire album = punk <- this has been mathematically proved

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Secret of the Sahara - Ennio Morricone

First listen...

I'll be interested to know what you think of this one, it's a favourite of mine.

I think I need another listen to think about it. I'll tell you in a year or so.

Dismissed it already eh!? rolleyes

No, it's just I don't listen to the same score more than once a month or so, and I'm in no rush to get to it. I would give it 3.5 stars.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011 edited
    ^ That's a bit odd. While I can understand that some scores only warrant only one listen it would be recommended to give a score that you HAVEN'T heard before a few spins within a few days to make sure you soak it all in.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    And I have to check out Iron Will and Lover's Prayer, never heard them.

Steer clear of Iron Will, unless you like big sweeping themes, top notch action/adventure music, a couple race-to-the-finish-line cues that are 100% exhilarating, and double in-your-face finale to top it all off.

You know those times when you buy a score based entirely on someone else's recommendation and find yourself blown away by all kinds of awesomeness, and you thank your lucky stars that you took a chance on it? That's what happened to me when I bought this score.

(Thanks for recommending it so convincingly a while back, Erik)
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ That's a bit odd. While I can understand that some score only warrant only one listen it would be recommended to give a score that you HAVEN'T heard before a few spins within a few days to make sure you soak it all in.

-Erik-

Word. I usually give a new acquisition 5 spins before I put it on the shelf. It's funny how often a score that really blew me away (or failed to) on the first listen ends up doing the opposite after five.
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    christopher wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ That's a bit odd. While I can understand that some score only warrant only one listen it would be recommended to give a score that you HAVEN'T heard before a few spins within a few days to make sure you soak it all in.

-Erik-

Word. I usually give a new acquisition 5 spins before I put it on the shelf. It's funny how often a score that really blew me away (or failed to) on the first listen ends up doing the opposite after five.

My theory is that I don't kill it by over-listening to it.
  4. point taken
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote

dizzy
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

dizzy

My theory is that I don't WANT to kill it by over-listening to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    How can you kill it by listening to it a few more times. We aren't asking you to listen to it 100 times repeated for the next 5 days. Give the score a few more chances before you file it away.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: AVATAR - James Horner

Incredible to think it but this is my first listen since the few months following its release. Despite this obvious neglect, I do like it. A lot.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LSH wrote

Incredible to think it but this is my first listen since the few months following its release. Despite this obvious neglect, I do like it. A lot.

cool

One of my most-played discs in recent times.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Charlie Brown - Vince Guaraldi

I always get a lift when I hear Guaraldi's jazzy music for a great cartoon series. The 6-minute suite "Red Baron" is a great example of what you get from one of his Charlie Brown scores.
    cool
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    How can you kill it by listening to it a few more times. We aren't asking you to listen to it 100 times repeated for the next 5 days. Give the score a few more chances before you file it away.

-Erik-

yeah

I can understand not wanting to "kill it by over-listening", this is something I do with all my favourite albums where I'll "retire" the Conan's, the Star Trek's, The James Bond's etc for a few months but when it comes to something I haven't heard before I need to give it a number of listens to get my head around it, I couldn't give any score a star rating based on just one listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Timmer wrote
    ...I couldn't give any score a star rating based on just one listen.

But you must be able to form some immediate opinion? Just give that a score between 0 and 5? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ...I couldn't give any score a star rating based on just one listen.

But you must be able to form some immediate opinion? Just give that a score between 0 and 5? wink

Initially? Yes, of course! And there'll ( hopefully? ) always be those scores, Star Trek TMP for example, where on first listening it totally blows your socks off but as I'm sure everyone here has experienced, there are those scores that don't make much of an impression on first listening that can later become personal favourites!? John Barry's THE LION IN WINTER is my own most extreme example, I hated it on first listen and didn't play it again for years, now, as you know, it's in my top ten film scores of all time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Staccato.
    listen to more classical music!
  7. sdtom wrote
    Staccato.

Elmer Bernstein's jazz score Staccato is definitely worth a listen.
  8. Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

This isn't one of my most listened to scores, and I doubt it will ever top Titanic in that area, but hearing the score in the film a few times now, I've grown to like it more too, after my initial disappointing first listens.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLUE LAGOON - Basil Poledouris

Lush, very attractive score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE YOUNG INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES, VOL. 1 (McNeely/Rosenthal)

I've been on a McNeely binge after we discussed him earlier. LOVER'S PRAYER, SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE and now working my way through these four discs. Great stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite - Joe Hisaishi

This is what I call a great theme from a composer who I consider to be one the best we have right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

This isn't one of my most listened to scores, and I doubt it will ever top Titanic in that area, but hearing the score in the film a few times now, I've grown to like it more too, after my initial disappointing first listens.

This was my most-played album of 2010 and will probably be my most-played of 2011 too. I've probably already listened to it more than Titanic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Both are exceptionally good albums but for me they'd both need a lot more plays before they even got close to KRULL.
  9. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

This was my most-played album of 2010 and will probably be my most-played of 2011 too. I've probably already listened to it more than Titanic.

I like Avatar more than Titanic, movie and score. I even like it more than Aliens.
    The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Jeremy Soule

First listen...
  10. ...and last. For a while at least. wink