• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well i feel you partly 'cause i can't get into his pre-2000 material mostly. But what about WOLFMAN, T4, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, WANTED, etc? I find his music more and more mature and interesting as years go by and the afore-mentioned are excellent scores, for me at least.

I have only listened to Wolfman, and even that I didn't find that interesting, except for 3-4 cues.

Have you watched the movie too? IT fits it like a glove!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. No, maybe someday but I'm not dying to see it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The film is mediocre, but the score is pretty good. Mixed awfully high in the film, which on the whole was a bit too noisy (I had to wear ear plugs).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    I usually enjoy a Star Trek based score, but this one leaves me rather cold. When people (at least non film score fans say they like it/love it, I suspect it's mostly based of the grand string/brass theme heard at the start and end of the score). The Star Trek theme is barely used on the legal album and the scary/action bits (aside from 'Red Alert') are nothing special. I much prefer the better written Star Trek IX: Insurrection score to this.

I've always considered the theme from First contact to be one of Jerry's greatest and most sweeping. It's up there alongside "The trees", "Lost in the wild" and "Theme from Powder". The rest of the album could be a pile of stinking poo, and I'd still love it, since that theme makes such an immense impact.

Peter smile

I agree. I remember when a primitive Real Audio file or something that someone had recorded in the cinema appeared on the internet (must have been in my earliest days on the internet) and I loved that theme instantly. Still do. The rest of the score I don't think is as coherent as any of his other Star Trek scores, but I can forgive that because of the killer theme (and because he wrote the whole thing in about an hour and a half).
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well i feel you partly 'cause i can't get into his pre-2000 material mostly. But what about WOLFMAN, T4, ALICE IN WONDERLAND, WANTED, etc?

I love The Wolfman, Alice in Wonderland, Spider-man 2, et al. It shows a nice change of style and approach for Elfman, but every Elfman score is distinctly his. There's no doubt who wrote the score.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    NP: Tron - Daft Punk

I like this score. But I don't love it. The orchestral writing can seem too generic, however well appointed and executed. I don't understand how one can say that it was written with pen and paper, especially when considering how the the melodic development is elementary at best. The electronic portion is on par with what they've done before. So nothing new there. Good score, not a great score.

I would say that it IS a great listen!

One of my favourite listens from last years scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    The film is mediocre, but the score is pretty good. Mixed awfully high in the film, which on the whole was a bit too noisy (I had to wear ear plugs).

I think the movie was fun and very atmospheric. I loved the volume and the mix too. It added to the whole tone.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Anthony wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Kick-ass (the score) (by a bunch of dudes)

Soundtrackcollector.com says "Ilan Eshkeri (rejected score)", "Marius De Vries (rejected score)", "John Murphy (rejected score)", "Henry Jackman", so I can't imagine the chaos it took to arrive at the final score. One thing I like is that even though scores apparently were rejected all over the place, parts of the rejected scores were still kept in the movie so the final result consists of a hodgepodge of music by all four composers. On paper this sounds like a bad idea, but I think it comes together really well and they all provide interesting cues. Highly listenable album for an entertaining movie.

One of my favourite cues of 2010, despite being rather short, is "Flying home" (Marius Vries). It's great in the movie, as well as a standalone listen.

Peter punk

I thought they all worked together on this one? There wasn't any "replacing" going on as far as I'm aware.

Oh, no -- they all got hired independantly of each others; different dates.

Eshkeri first. Then Marius De Vries, and finally Murphy. Jackman of course being the final.

And somewhere inbetween all them, Lennertz recorded a long demo.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011
    Merlin - Trevor Jones

Good score, great main theme, album's too long, oh well...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think the album is great!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. You two just can't agree, can you? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    Angels and Demons - Hans Zimmer

The wait through the unoriginal and weaker action material is totally worth it when you get to 'Science and Religion'.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Merlin - Trevor Jones

Good score, great main theme, album's too long, oh well...

I'd say it's just about right. Very enjoyable score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You two just can't agree, can you? biggrin

Well, I consider Merlin to be Jones' finest score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting wrote

-Erik-

And I consider The Dark Crystal to be Jones' finest score.

1) The Dark Crystal
    2) Thirteen Days
    3) Loch Ness
    Batman Returns - Danny Elfman

While I can appreciate the bittersweet drama that is Batman Returns, I still favour Batman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

You consider right.

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski begin_of_the_skype_highlighting     end_of_the_skype_highlighting wrote

-Erik-

1) The Dark Crystal
    2) Thirteen Days
    3) Loch Ness

I'm with Kevin on this one. The Dark Crystal was one of my favorite albums in 1983. Not quite Krull or Rerturn Of The Jedi but a big one nontheless!

But Merlin is very good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE RELIGIOUS SOUND (John Williams)

Self-made iTunes playlist.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. KevinSmith wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

1) The Dark Crystal
    2) Thirteen Days
    3) Loch Ness

Last of the Mohicans for me... but Merlin is great too, wonderful score. And I don't have a problem with the length of that album.

Also very high on my Jones-list: The Mighty and Dark City.

About The Dark Crystal: themes are good, but the rest of the score never grew on me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. TRON: LEGACY - DAFT PUNK

I love the packaging the score came in, and the black disc.

And the score's pretty good too. smile

A symphony of awesomeness? That's about right !!!!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I have done a selection of track from LOST from season 1 to 3. I need help to choose tracks from seasons 4,5 (Wich I think could be "expendable"), 6 and 61/2 .

Please help! too much music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How many tracks have you taken from the other seasons?

A good season 6 playlist I've got (for the entire season) is about 2hrs 20.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm with Kevin and Atham, DARK CRYSTAL ftw.

2. Last of The Mohicans
    3. Merlin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd substitute Cleopatra for Merlin, but I won't quibble. Both are mighty fine scores.
    Speaking of which, so is The Mighty.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Have you seen Cleopatra? The girl who plays her is awesome to look at ( and leaving very little to the imagination with her attire ), the film ( TV mini series? ) is appalling in the extreme though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nope, not seen it, and not gonna. I'll stick with my CD cover.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011 edited
    A wise choice wink

I think I managed to make it half way through ( on some late TV channel ), and that was a chore, before turning it off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    So THIS is where the activity is at maintitles. Lots of discussion going on that isn't strictly about NP? Have never followed these threads before.
    I am extremely serious.
    No love for Dinotopia?