• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011
    plindboe wrote
    Wonderful and magical moment indeed. Pure Elfman.
    Peter smile

That he makes me want to cry in happiness over the fate of a pig is one of the surest signs of musical genius I've ever experienced...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Crysis II - Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe

Wow, huge step up from the generic banality of MW2.

Not really. Only the few orchestral pieces stand out but are still generic Zimmerisms. The rest sounds synthetic, loud and noisy.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

Not really. Only the few orchestral pieces stand out but are still generic Zimmerisms. The rest sounds synthetic, loud and noisy.

Listening to it atm. Better than Inon Zur's effort that's for sure, but not very structured nor memorable. There could be a cool 30-40 minute score in this however. Makes me crave for short releases even more as the full 90 minutes of Crysis II is just too much of the same, half of it being basic filler stuff.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. 40-50 I'd say, but yeah, my sentiments (almost) exactly.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. GEARS OF WAR 2 - STEVE JABLONSKY

Quite good in places. The action moments are sometimes riveting and the theme is cool as ice!

Now this I can enjoy immensely. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap. love it too. I am a sucker for Jablonsky, in fact i'd say the only one's style i like from the rc these days, other than Zimmer of course. (except for the awful prince of persia game score or the sims 3 mickey-mousing bukkake). Really looking forward to TRANSFORMERS 3 punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011 edited
    Glad I paid no attention to The Sims 3 hype. tongue

Jablonsky's best writing for action films or games anyway.

BTW have you heard the orchestral & choral suite of Gears 2? Found on this album! It's mindblowing. punk
  4. NP: Dumbledore's Farewell - Half-Blood Prince (Nicholas Hooper)

So sad. I like that the cello plays a variation of the In Noctem theme (according to soundtrack's liner notes)
  5. PLAYERS - JERRY GOLDSMITH

I like this one a lot, even the calm acoustic guitar-flavoured tracks. The theme is splendid and I can't ever sit still when it plays. One of those legendary themes that puts a big smile on my face. The love theme is also wonderful. A nice little gem, even if I never heard of the film before this release.

It's still available, so get it!
  6. Timmer wrote
    NP : THE TOUCH - Basil Poledouris

A lovely score, great percussion and gorgeous themes.

hey, I heard this one today. Excellent score indeed, so beautiful and magical punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote

I hear less Zimmerisms in the score than was in MW2. More interesting orchestrations and arrangements, and less of the "insert modular percussion/orchestra cue here" approach in MW2, while using almost the same palette of sound. And there are much more organic (both real and generated) elements sprinkles about to enliven my interest level. If MW2 was a 2 stars score, this would be the 4 stars version.
  7. FAR AND AWAY - JOHN WILLIAMS

The full 90 minutes of Crysis 2 4 stars? shocked

Meh... slant

This is a solid 4 stars, themes up the wazoo, brilliant action cues and Chieftains fun, in short Williams greatness!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    What he said.

(It's a four-and-a-halver for me, but I won't quibble)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    FAR AND AWAY - JOHN WILLIAMS

Meh... slant

This is a solid 4 stars, themes up the wazoo, brilliant action cues and Chieftains fun, in short Williams greatness!

I think you forgot to get the "if" portion of that statement.

And why would you compare a supposed 4 star game score with any 4 star movie score? You can't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But he just did?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    But he just did?

No offense to the OP, but I think it's unwise. Both scores are different in genre and medium.
  8. A score is a score, regardless of medium it's written for. So you're basically saying that a 4 star game score is always inferior to a 4 (and half for Martijn) star film score, because you can't compare the two? Why the distinction? For me it's about the music, either it's good or not.

Take away a good 50-60 minutes from Crysis II and maybe then we can see if there's a 4 star score in there. With a little luck we might just find it.
  9. Enjoying these opening tracks from SUPERMAN THE MOVIE: Prelude and Main Title / The Planet Krypton / Destruction of Krypton / The Kryptonquake.

My adoration of the complete Superman score is pretty much summed up in those 21 minutes. Legendary film music and one I simply cannot live without!!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    DreamTheater wrote
    A score is a score, regardless of medium it's written for. So you're basically saying that a 4 star game score is always inferior to a 4 (and half for Martijn) star film score, because you can't compare the two? Why the distinction? For me it's about the music, either it's good or not.

Take away a good 50-60 minutes from Crysis II and maybe then we can see if there's a 4 star score in there. With a little luck we might just find it.

Nah, I'm just saying that I wouldn't ever make the comparison because they were made to function distinctly in a wholly different medium. If you were to compare them in term of music on an CD to be evaluated on their own merit, then sure, you could make that leap. Plus, FWIW, I was only positing a "4 stars" rating to Crysis 2 "IF" I had given MW2 "2 Stars", which I haven't.

That said, I think that the score Crysis 2 is so much better than MW2, that a 3.5 to 4 stars rating would appropriately indicate my enthusiasm for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    the sims 3 mickey-mousing bukkake

lol
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    Enjoying these opening tracks from SUPERMAN THE MOVIE: Prelude and Main Title / The Planet Krypton / Destruction of Krypton / The Kryptonquake.

My adoration of the complete Superman score is pretty much summed up in those 21 minutes. Legendary film music and one I simply cannot live without!!!! punk

I love the huge epic nature of the Krypton portion of the score. It's like a symphony in itself.
    Majestic, thrilling and very dramatic. But then again, the whole score is pure Williams awesomeness to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011 edited
    Something I was listening to earlier on was some suites of underscore (written by Hoyt Curtin) from Hanna-Barbera cartoons:

Yogi Bear - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQcVU4-WUmI

The Flintstones - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t90bvf28PwQ

Top Cat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiqB7a0Q7cw , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nRWYSM3ziU

Taken from a 4 CD set Hanna-Barbera Pic-a-nic Basket of Cartoon Classics there's much I recognise in these suites, particularly in the Top Cat suites.

Nostalgic stuff!

I was looking for some underscore from Wacky Races but these will do nicely.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    FAR AND AWAY - JOHN WILLIAMS

Meh... slant

True.

Crysis 2 gave me headache today, this morning; It was the wrong choice for me to play, on a not so good wake up and a tough day. Really, Z and co can write some really great music, but this is not in games, obviously.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Enjoying these opening tracks from SUPERMAN THE MOVIE: Prelude and Main Title / The Planet Krypton / Destruction of Krypton / The Kryptonquake.

I love the huge epic nature of the Krypton portion of the score. It's like a symphony in itself.
    Majestic, thrilling and very dramatic. But then again, the whole score is pure Williams awesomeness to me!

You're on a roll of playing greatness! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BIRTH - Alexandre Desplat

I'm not overly crazy about this score but it's just right for this time in the morning. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Indeed! We share a refined taste Mr. Tim sir. beer
    Later I plan to listen to The Lion In Winter, Jaws 2, Poltergeist and Conan if time alows.
  10. NP: Bajo La Tormenta - Tiempo de Tormenta (Ángel Illarramendi)

Nice main theme played in the strings, with piano. I just watched the movie, and Illarramendi's score is one of the best things about it. I love how this is played during the main titles
  11. NP: Exodus - Doomsday (Tyler Bates)

Epic. Sorry, haters. But when someone asks this guy to write music without a overload of electronic noise, he can do it very well (I heard very good thing about his score for The Way, and his jazz/tropical score for What's The Worst That Could Happen? is very good)
  12. lp wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    A score is a score, regardless of medium it's written for. So you're basically saying that a 4 star game score is always inferior to a 4 (and half for Martijn) star film score, because you can't compare the two? Why the distinction? For me it's about the music, either it's good or not.

Nah, I'm just saying that I wouldn't ever make the comparison because they were made to function distinctly in a wholly different medium. If you were to compare them in term of music on an CD to be evaluated on their own merit, then sure, you could make that leap. Plus, FWIW, I was only positing a "4 stars" rating to Crysis 2 "IF" I had given MW2 "2 Stars", which I haven't.

That said, I think that the score Crysis 2 is so much better than MW2, that a 3.5 to 4 stars rating would appropriately indicate my enthusiasm for it.

From what I heard of Crysis 2 compared to the dull MW2 I'd say the former is much more enjoyable so I agree with you there.

And about the 'IF' part, duly noted. Not fair to put the two against each other, just because I felt like listening to Far and Away at that instant. It's like saying oranges are better than apples because I enjoy their taste more.
  13. Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

If you meant me instead of Atham, that roll ended just after 'The Krypton Symphony' because I had to catch some sleep