• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Eric wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    ULTRAMAN GREAT - SINSUKE KAZATO

Tremendously rousing, with memorable themes and epic moments. This was a blind buy after reading a review of it on Jon Broxton's old Movie Music UK site. The review is now taken off-line, sadly, but it was a glowing one.
    One of my better blind buys for sure. beer

Have you ever watched any Ultraman series or films Gilles ?

I was big into tokusatsu some time ago , but the lack of time
    to watch all those series mellowed it down a bit .
    Of the newer Ultraman series my favourite was Ultraman Nexus .
    Too bad the series was cut short ... sad

No, I only know of the music on that album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Rango Suite - Hans Zimmer

Very quirky. Reminds me a little bit of Sherlock Holmes. By the way, it's very cool to hear woodwinds in this cue.

Dangerous words.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Rango Suite - Hans Zimmer

Very quirky. Reminds me a little bit of Sherlock Holmes. By the way, it's very cool to hear woodwinds in this cue.

Dangerous words.

Because?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ONE FROM THE HEART - Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle

This album is gorgeous, it's really more of a late night listen with a glass of brandy but I felt like playing it now, superb!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011 edited
    Rango Zimmer

A really funny score. A better listening than Megamind.
    "Rango suite" is really catchy. "We ride, really" with the arrengement of Los LObos song is the highlight.
    Zimmer doing the man with the harmonicha is always cool

Crysis 2 (a lot of people)

An improvement over MW2. A real orchestra, and a better main theme.

Battle LA Tyler

Good. Lazarus project meets Rambo with a very typical Tyler Anthem.

I don't know if its because of my subwoofer, but the action doesn't sound as good (as clear) as it should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You forgot "meets John Murphy"

The rango thingy is definitely not for me. I'll watch the movie though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    You forgot "meets John Murphy"

The rango thingy is definitely not for me. I'll watch the movie though.

Yeah, specially "Sunshine".

Definetly the orchestra from BLA doesn't sound as good or complex as , for example, AV2 or Eagle Eye sad

About Rango, you are coherent, since you don't like SH. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the info Jordi smile

Yeah, Battle: LA has some enjoyable moments for those who enjoy Tyler's standard orchestral compositions. The choir is used as an atmospheric layer btw.
  3. christopher wrote
    Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events - Thomas Newman

This CD is pretty eclectic, and not at all my favorite Newman album, but I love "The Letter that Never Came" of course. I also really like the simple piano of "Resilience". Newman is a master of simple piano (see also Meet Joe Black). I will also say that the track titles of this album are brilliant.

If you like simple piano, then you will love Revolutionary Road.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good score, works perfect in the film, which is a very lukewarm case of movie imo.
  4. NP: End Credits - Let Me In (Michael Giacchino)

Gorgeous. The main theme reminds me a lot of Soderqvist's Eli theme
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHNNY GREENWOOD - norwegian wood

The most interesting and challenging form of film music i've heard in many months now. Certainly not for everyone though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Is Powell confirmed to join Zimmer in "kung Fu panda 2"?
  5. Nautilus wrote
    Is Powell confirmed to join Zimmer in "kung Fu panda 2"?

I hope so.
  6. Yes, he is.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yay
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm slightly disappointed every single movie in his upcoming filmography is an animation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... because Powell never produces the goods when he is working in animation.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. NP: Melina - Largo Winch (Desplat)

I love the beginning with that little theme in the piano and the string ostinato. And the second half sounds a lot like Powell's Paycheck (especially at 2:00)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011
    For some reason Tyler's recent action scores have been rather lacking in the recording department, very flat dynamic range and practically no bass, which really killed scores like The Expendables which had no interesting themes to speak of.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  8. NP: Arwen's Song (Complete) - LOTR Rarities

Liv Tyler has such a amazing singing voice, and I think I like this version, than the one in Return of the King
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COCOON - James Horner

Excellent score!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. I'm listening Battle: Los Angeles. So far so good. There's a little bit of Tranformers, but it's more enjoyable than Jablonsky's music. And also, I like the chorus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Anthony wrote
    I'm slightly disappointed every single movie in his upcoming filmography is an animation.

I'm excited about it. The guy is the master of animation scores, and he always creates something special when he scores an animated movie.

Peter smile
  10. Timmer wrote

Excellent score!

Agree with you there but the track order completely sucks... What's the finale doing at the start?

I only listen to it in the order of the film: 1, 5, 2, 8, 7, 9, 4, 6, 10, 3, 11, 12
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. SPEED 2: CRUISE CONTROL - MARK MANCINA

The rhythms... Sweet Jesus! It's exactly what I love most about this score. The fact that all these action cues are propelled forward by a goddamned addictive rhythmic structure. And the way Mancina uses all the themes on top of those cool rhythms. Typical Mancina action writing and I love it for that reason!!! punk
  12. plindboe wrote
    Anthony wrote

I'm excited about it. The guy is the master of animation scores, and he always creates something special when he scores an animated movie.

Peter smile

I agree. It's because of his scores for animated films that I've discovered his work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    For some reason Tyler's recent action scores have been rather lacking in the recording department, very flat dynamic range and practically no bass, which really killed scores like The Expendables which had no interesting themes to speak of.

I couldn't agree more. Where is the recording of Darkness Falls or AVP2?

The orchestra in BLA seems too rendered.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Excellent score!

Agree with you there but the track order completely sucks... What's the finale doing at the start?

I only listen to it in the order of the film: 1, 5, 2, 8, 7, 9, 4, 6, 10, 3, 11, 12

It doesn't bother me, this is probably because I was aquainted with the album long before I saw the film.
  13. NP: The muster of Rohan (alternate) - LOTR Rarities

I love thoses renditions of the Rohan's theme in the last minute