• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : COCOON - James Horner

Excellent score!

Agree with you there but the track order completely sucks... What's the finale doing at the start?

I only listen to it in the order of the film: 1, 5, 2, 8, 7, 9, 4, 6, 10, 3, 11, 12

It doesn't bother me, this is probably because I was aquainted with the album long before I saw the film.

In all fairness the album order isn't a terrible listen, but I prefer it when the big action cue (3) comes just before the finale cue (11) making for a perfect Horner finish. The way he could do them at the time without blinking an eye. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Thanks for the film order, DT. I'll have to give that a try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011 edited
    NP: Paul - David Arnold

Reminds me a bit of Murray Gold/Ben Foster's Doctor Who/Torchwood scores with the rock guitar when it appears. A bit of harmonica (for Middle America?), acoustic guitar and ondes martenot(?) for that light-hearted alien feel. And there's some sort of instrumentation than reminds me of an ice cream van tune!

But as for the Syd Masters and the Swing Riders's country version of John Williams' "Cantina Band"? I don't know whether to love it or hate it!!?

Nice and undemanding.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Sammath Naur - LOTR Rarities

That choral bit at 2:45 is impressive.
  4. David Arnold tweeted me saying that he was thinking of ice cream vans for this - "very British" he says. Very true indeed. I may go and see Paul just to see this in context.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    David Arnold tweeted me saying that he was thinking of ice cream vans for this - "very British" he says. Very true indeed. I may go and see Paul just to see this in context.

Haha, cool. That reminds me that Debbie Wiseman tweeted me today
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2011
    JP : Fantastic Four - John Ottman

I love the Main Title theme , it's heroic like it should be .
    The rest of the album has its ups & downs ...

NP : The Best Of Godzilla 1954-1975 - Akira Ifukube

The first volume of a compilation of vibrant Godzilla music by maestro Akira Ifukube .
    Grand stuff ! cool
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  6. I say that he tweeted me. But I do know that I'm only an anonymous follower who has said something that David feels is worth replying to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    JP : Fantastic Four - John Ottman

I love the Main Title theme , it's heroic like it should be .
    The rest of the album has its ups & downs ...

NP : The Best Of Godzilla 1954-1975 - Akira Ifukube

The first volume of a compilation of vibrant Godzilla music by maestro Akira Ifukube .
    Grand stuff ! cool

When I think of Japanese composers, Ifukube is the first name that springs to mind, with all due respect to Joe Hisaishi who I enjoy, I'll take Ifukube's music over his any day.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    David Arnold tweeted me saying that he was thinking of ice cream vans for this - "very British" he says. Very true indeed. I may go and see Paul just to see this in context.

Wouldn't you rather see the film because you want to see it?

It looks fun and the reviews have been pretty good on the whole.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Not really. There are not many films I want to see for the film's sake any more.

People have their own reasons for wanting to see specific films: plot, director, actors, etc Even just to have a snog.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Not really. There are not many films I want to see for the film's sake any more.

People have their own reasons for wanting to see specific films: plot, director, actors, etc Even just to have a snog.

True! Me, I only go to see a film because I want to see it, because I've heard it's good either from reviews or word-of-mouth, the score and who's scored it is a very secondary thing for me these days and more often than not having no bearing on my watching the film at all.

p.s. That wasn't always the case, many years ago there were a lot of films that barely interested me that I would go and see because they had scores by Goldsmith, Barry etc, I happily sat through multiple showings of THE FINAL CONFLICT just for Jerry's score.
  7. Since having children our outings to the cinema have become less and less of a regular occurrence. Blockbuster, eye candy films that are best seen on a big screen are what gets me parting with my cash. Other films that would do just as well on the small screen I'll catch a few years down the line.

A good score that intrigues me may get me out to the cinema.The Tempest could have been one of those films but apathy meant that I missed it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's not exactly a cheap treat anymore either, I can imagine taking the kids makes it an expensive day out.
  8. It can be. Cinema tickets tend to lead to lunch, snacks. But the most expensive part of the day thesedays is petrol!

I've not had to fill the car much with me not working but it's over £50 to fill the tank when, not too long ago it would cost "only" £35.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It can be. Cinema tickets tend to lead to lunch, snacks. But the most expensive part of the day thesedays is petrol!

I've not had to fill the car much with me not working but it's over £50 to fill the tank when, not too long ago it would cost "only" £35.

Tell me about it , I have 3 kids !
    If we're going out to see a movie it costs me about €40 for the five of us , if it's a digital or 3D version even more ! Then we have the little snacks and drinks which can be bought at total 'rip me off' prices - so a few
    hours of film pleasure costs me about €60 - €70 ! I remember a time when I was young and going sometimes twice a week ! But those were the affordable days !

I just filled up my car this afternoon - about €60 it was ! It was €1,59 / liter !
    Everything goes up except my paycheck !
  9. NP: Todo Se Cumple - Teresa, el Cuerpo de Cristo (Ángel Illarramendi)

I love this main theme. Why Illarramendi ain't scoring american films?
  10. I recently played Christopher Gordon's music to the Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games

I program out a whole bunch of songs when I listen to this. Gordon did some orchestral work with several of them, but they still don't hold my interest. Of the original music he composed for this, there's the opening track (absolutely horrid), the finale track (annoying), a couple tracks in the middle which are okay, and about four tracks that are fantastic. Good enough for me to give this ****.

Then I played Dinotopia by Trevor Jones

I'm afraid this score is one of those that is well-written, but not that memorable, other than the main theme. Jones is one of these theme guys that write great themes, but whose music I rarely find enjoyable beyond those great themes (Delerue and Barry are this way for me as well, with some exceptions). I would give this score 3 stars ('average' by my ranking) if not for that theme. With the theme, ***1/2.
  11. Jones can write some of the most gorgeous background music, Dinotopia is such a score that is more filler stuff than themes, and for me he can write that mix every time. It helps that the filler stuff is mostly very melodic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. Erik Woods wrote
    I said the following in a previous now playing thread...

Erik Woods wrote
    Enemy at the Gates isn't a bad score... but unlike you the four-note danger motif is a irritation which limits my interest in the score. But now that I've created a suite I find myself wanting to hear the score... well, at least that suite... more often. Great recording by Simon Rhodes and I too second more large choral music from Horner!

Thanks for providing that suite Erik, I missed it the first time, you seem to have summarized the score very well in about 17 minutes... I'll even say I'm going to listen to this suite all the time instead of the whole album.

beer <-- We both have a Leffe on that if you'd like. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011 edited
    Seabiscuit - Randy Newman

This album isn't the most consistent of listening experiences. It jumps from Newmany Americana to Spanish guitar to period-style bar music, etc. I can't say I'm a big fan of the recording. The orchestra often feels too small. The strings sound thin sometimes, and the brass doesn't feel big enough. I don't know if it's a result of the actual size of the orchestra or the recording, but whenever this score tries to be big, it's disappointingly small-sounding. Still, there are highlights. My favorite cue is the fantastic Spanish guitar track "Marcela/Agua Caliente." The finale, "A Nice Ride", is good, too, though suffers from the complaint already mentioned. Maybe it's just me. Anyone else noticed what I'm talking about?

Edit: Re-listening to it, I think "A Nice Ride" actually sounds pretty good. For a good example of this thin sound, though, try the last minute and a half of "Red's First Win", or listen to the brass in the last 30 seconds of "The Derby."
  13. NP: Hancock (Expanded score) - John Powell

The alternates of Death and Transfiguration and The Moon and the Superhero are the best thing of the expanded release. Too bad there's no Superman-esque ostinato
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Battlestar Galactica Vol 1 "Saga Of Star World" - Stu Phillips

It's nice finally having this score in complete form and good stereo.
    The brass still sounds scratchy but it does sound improved all round.
    And the liner notes are interesting and informative.
    I've always enjoyed the 1978 Stu Phillips score. Just big, bold, brassy fun with a great theme! punk
  14. COCOON - JAMES HORNER

Only one 'Glenn Miller' like track, but the emotional music is a worthy substitute.

The Chase / The Ascension... they should've been mixed together like in the film. love

Horner in early top form!! Cocoon is one of those scores that made me into the fan I am today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011
    Likewise. Love Cocoon!!! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (Bricusse/Williams)

The original LP release. No idea why I'm listening to it, it's not really very good, except maybe "Apollo" and "Where did my Childhood Go?". And Peter O'Toole can't sing if his life depended on it. It was just conveniently in my iTunes window. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

The original LP release. No idea why I'm listening to it, it's not really very good, except maybe "Apollo" and "Where did my Childhood Go?". And Peter O'Toole can't sing if his life depended on it. It was just conveniently in my iTunes window. smile

Mayhap they should have got someone else to do his singing voice like was done for Man of La Mancha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Mayhap they have got someone else to do his singing voice like was done for Man of La Mancha.

They should have.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. NP: Battle Los Angeles Main Titles - Brian Tyler

Cool. I like how Tyler makes a combination between epic chorus, rock and militaristic percussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : The Music Of ITC - Various

A pure nostalgia trip for me ! I grew up watching most of these series .
    The Prisoner , The Persuaders , The Protectors , Return of the Saint , Danger Man , The Baron , Department S , The Champions , Jason King etc ... Those were the days of cool television programmes . Great stuff ! cool