• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011
    Eric wrote
    NP : The Music Of ITC - Various

A pure nostalgia trip for me ! I grew up watching most of these series .
    The Prisoner , The Persuaders , The Protectors , Return of the Saint , Danger Man , The Baron , Department S , The Champions , Jason King etc ... Those were the days of cool television programmes . Great stuff ! cool

So much brilliant music contained in these shows, for me it's the work of Edwin Astley that really stands out and so much of it is sooooo memorable, superb stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Battle Los Angeles Main Titles - Brian Tyler

Cool. I like how Tyler makes a combination between epic chorus, rock and militaristic percussion.

Epic? It's just an atmospheric choral layer which can very easily be non-organic (as in sampled, don't have the cd right now to confirm this or not).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Battle Los Angeles Main Titles - Brian Tyler

Cool. I like how Tyler makes a combination between epic chorus, rock and militaristic percussion.

Epic? It's just an atmospheric choral layer which can very easily be non-organic (as in sampled, don't have the cd right now to confirm this or not).

It's a real live chorus, they're credited in the digital booklet. And sounds some much better than the synth chorus in The Expendables. I agree that epic isn't the word and that the chorus serves as a atmospheric layer but that doesn't diminish the impact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks for the info.

Yeap, i agree with you that it has impact. Epic would be something frontal with lyrics and all, but yeah it's enhancing the atmosphere a lot.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Thanks for the info.

Yeap, i agree with you that it has impact. Epic would be something frontal with lyrics and all, but yeah it's enhancing the atmosphere a lot.

Yeah. It's just that it came out in my mind the word epic, and that's why I said it.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : The Music Of ITC - Various

A pure nostalgia trip for me ! I grew up watching most of these series .
    The Prisoner , The Persuaders , The Protectors , Return of the Saint , Danger Man , The Baron , Department S , The Champions , Jason King etc ... Those were the days of cool television programmes . Great stuff ! cool

So much brilliant music contained in these shows, for me it's the work of Edwin Astley that really stands out and so much of it is sooooo memorable, superb stuff!

So much great music as well as many wonderful memories. I'd certainly recommend this compilation. I've not heard it bit I recommend it over the separate 2/3 CDs that are available. Those are a bit bitty with many, many short cues. Interesting from an orchestration point of view and his use of a small ensemble of players.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Heritage of the Wolf - Balto (James Horner)

One of the my favorite Horner cues.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011 edited
    I think and believe composers were a lot more creative in TV work back in the day with such limited resources, you only have to listen to the work of composers like Edwin Astley, Barry Gray, Laurie Johnson, Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams, Bernard Herrmann, Sol Kaplan, Gerald Fried, Billy Goldenberg and many others.

Listening to some on these boards you'd think good TV scoring only started when Giacchino did LOST. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Hear Hear, Tim!

But there was also some not so good stuff. I was listening to the Label X Star Trek re-recordings and I was surprised how little I enjoyed them. Having been used to the GNP Crescendo releases I'd just assumed that they were all great.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very true Alan, there has been good and bad in every decade, I do think that the 1960's in particular, was an incredibly creative time for music and I mean all kinds of music.
  6. NP: La Mujer Blanca - Una Historia Reciente (Angel Illarramendi)

I love the flute in this cue which it has a magical sound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    Magical sounding flute?? *want* !!!!!!!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would prefer a "magic" flute. biggrin devil
  7. Scribe wrote
    Magical sounding flute?? *want* !!!!!!!!

Haha. I was talking about the cue having a magical sound, with the strings, glockespiel and the flute.
  8. NP: Suite from Una Historia Reciente - Angel Illarramendi

Very cool. It has a very military tone, very Imperial March-esque
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHOTGUN SLADE (Gerald Fried)

Smooth jazz to an old American western series I've never heard of.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Jazz???
    For a sixties TV western score?
    Now that sounds interesting (and not a bit eclectic!)

NP: Waterworld - James Newton Howard
    I tend to overlook this score. Dunno why. Probably because the film was quite silly.
    But the score is a thunderous bag of powerful goodies! Great driving action cues, massive orchestral and choral drama. It's all big, BIG, BIG! And with a great theme to boot.
    Rivals anything epic done by, say, Arnold (of whose style this score reminds me a little).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Jazz???
    For a sixties TV western score?
    Now that sounds interesting (and not a bit eclectic!)

NP: Waterworld - James Newton Howard
    I tend to overlook this score. Dunno why. Probably because the film was quite silly.
    But the score is a thunderous bag of powerful goodies! Great driving action cues, massive orchestral and choral drama. It's all big, BIG, BIG! And with a great theme to boot.
    Rivals anything epic done by, say, Arnold (of whose style this score reminds me a little).

My favourite JNH and one of my alltime favourite soundtracks, period. It has everything - from rousing orchestral action to exotic textures to a cameo of the religious sound to some fantastic synth writing (as in the glorious "swimming" cue). I've always liked the film too, against majority sentiments!
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Damn right! 'Swimming' is fabulous emotional JNH, and let's not forget the kickass 'Skyboat' and 'Deacon's Speech'. If he ever could write something like this again, I would not hesitate to buy it.

Like the film too for it's immaculate production design and action sequences. With all that went wrong during production, it's all the more amazing the film is so downright fun and spectacular and even tells a touching story.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A FAR OFF PLACE - James Horner

Cracking album, love it! cool
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011 edited
    Supernova - David Williams

First listen...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  10. Timmer wrote
    NP : A FAR OFF PLACE - James Horner

Cracking album, love it! cool

I've sold this one long ago... and I won't ever buy another copy. Hated it! vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. NP: El Final - Yoyes (Angel Illarramendi)

Very dramatic. I love that Illarramendi brings the main theme in the last couple of minutes with different variations in low strings and ethnic woodwinds being played at the same time, during the climax of the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: El Final - Yoyes (Angel Illarramendi)

Very dramatic. I love that Illarramendi brings the main theme in the last couple of minutes with different variations in low strings and ethnic woodwinds being played at the same time, during the climax of the movie.

YOYES is beautiful, as are most of Illaramendi's scores. Don't fancy his suspense writing, but his melodies are gorgeous. Melancholic bliss.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: El Final - Yoyes (Angel Illarramendi)

YOYES is beautiful, as are most of Illaramendi's scores. Don't fancy his suspense writing, but his melodies are gorgeous. Melancholic bliss.

I agree. I've been recently watching a lot of movies scored by him. In all of them, his music fits perfectly. I've heard that he recently scored a movie called 180, but there's no news of a score release
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Haven't seen many (any?) of his movies myself, but I have several of his soundtracks. I'd be curious to hear them in context some day.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    Haven't seen many (any?) of his movies myself, but I have several of his soundtracks. I'd be curious to hear them in context some day.

They're very rare, mostly from Spain. But, movies like Luna de Avellaneda, El Hijo de la Novia, Tiempo de Tormenta, Los Borgia, had a very wide audience
  14. Illarramendi's string writing often reminds me of Georges Delerue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Illarramendi's string writing often reminds me of Georges Delerue.

Good parallell. I concur.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Illarramendi's string writing often reminds me of Georges Delerue.

Good parallell. I concur.

Your holiday has done you the world of good! wink