• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: SKETCHES ON STAR WARS (John Williams)

Performed by the Terry Trotter Trio, these are smooth jazz arrangements of the famous themes. I love it.

Here's something entertaining for you Thor, one of my favourite comedians too.

THE IMPERIAL MARCH

He, he....this one's pretty good too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SmYX6vq … re=related

biggrin

I've seen Bill Bailey live a couple of years back ( he did the Imperial March then too, playing it like a 'cockney knees up' ), he was brilliant! The man is a very accomplished musician too, just like Mike Oldfield he seems to be able to play any instrument he's given and in any style.

I saw Bill Bailey live here too a couple of years back and he was indeed brilliant and clever!
    He often makes references to films either vocally or musically which I always find entertaining.

NP: Cinema Symphony - Andrew Pearce

Erik, you manipulator of minds!
    How could I not put this on after your glowing and most accurate review!
    It really is a fantastic work. I can hear Goldsmith quite clearly in parts of this too, which is no bad thing!
    Even the main theme Pearce uses throughout this work contains the first few notes from Lionheart. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    BLADE RUNNER - VANGELIS

It's one of my alltime favourite soundtracks and one of the analysis chapters in my master thesis. Great choice.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CRASH (Mark Isham)

Superb, moody synthscapes. One of the Top 10 best synth scores of all time!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    King Kong - James Newton Howard

Very good considering the limited amount of time that JNH had with this one.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    Born on the Fourth of July - John Williams

Something somber is necessary to balance out the large epic that was my previous listening score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote

+ his zillion helpers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Born on the Fourth of July - John Williams

Something somber is necessary to balance out the large epic that was my previous listening score.

Excellent score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

+ his zillion helpers.

Crispy Bacon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CErapf79rqM
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Today I've played four scores through that are all relatively new to me. They all got their second or third listen today.

Inception - Hans Zimmer

Mostly boring, I thought. A lot of the same doom and gloom sound over and over. I did enjoy "Time" and "528491." A lot of people have really liked this one, so my feelings don't seem to echo the majority, but I was very unmoved by this.

TRON: Legacy - Daft Punk

Much more enjoyable than Inception for me. The first time I heard it I dismissed it mostly as little more than club music. After I gave it a couple much more focused listens I've decided that I like this score more than I ever thought I would. Some of it gets a little old, but some of it is really interesting to listen to. The mix of the synth and the orchestra is different, the adding of layer upon layer upon layer of beats, synth, or strings was really fascinating in some tracks. Of course I noticed similarities to Inception (especially after listening to it right after that one!) and Nolan's Batman scores, and some cues totally sounded like Vangelis. It was weird for me, but a good weird. The fully orchestral stuff was nice. Favorite tracks: "Outlands," "Adagio for Tron," "Disc Wars," "C.L.U.," and "Flynn Lives."

Little Children - Thomas Newman

I could take or leave this score. It is like musical tofu. Listening to nothing would be about the same. There is the last track, which is interesting, though gets a little old. I heard a lot of praise for that last track when it first came out as being vintage Newman and I was imagining something grander than what it turned out to be. Too bad. It's just about the only thing that rises from the rest of this album and gets noticed.

Mother of Mine - Tuomas Kantelinen

Probably my favorite of the bunch. Not as audibly intruiging as Tron, but far more in my comfort zone. It's lovely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: El Mal Ajeno - Fernando Velazquez

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote

cool

Wonderful isn't it?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NORWEGIAN FILM MUSIC (various)

Self-made compilation of Norwegian film music history with artwork by now famous soundtrack designer Jim Titus.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cristian wrote

cool

Wonderful isn't it?

Totally! It's in my top 3 from 2010. I think Fernando Velazquez is a composer to watch in the future, I hope he will write more scores like this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Certainly. He's very gifted and has a very apt sense of music in general.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: TACT TARO BEST WORKS 2000-2005 - Taro Iwashiro

One of my favorite compilation CD ever! This album is a must for any fan of Taro Iwashiro's music and a very good opportunity to discover this composer for those who aren't familiar with his work. The Blood And Bones suite is outstanding and I'm glad that they included two cues from Yoshitsune, I consider this score to be his best.

Info here:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … 2000-2005/
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : VERTIGO - Bernard Herrmann

Classic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    christopher wrote
    Mother of Mine - Tuomas Kantelinen

Probably my favorite of the bunch. Not as audibly intruiging as Tron, but far more in my comfort zone. It's lovely.

I have this score, I know I do. I remember writing a review of it, I remember loving it. But it's nowhere to be found. Aargh!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: CRASH (Mark Isham)

Superb, moody synthscapes. One of the Top 10 best synth scores of all time!

I'm inclined to agree. Terrific album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's absolutely gorgeous!
    Tron - Wendy Carlos

I prefer Daft Punk's sequel score to this, but that's a given really. It's amazing to think that people actually thought that the sounds that synths made in the early days were good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Tron - Wendy Carlos

I prefer Daft Punk's sequel score to this, but that's a given really. It's amazing to think that people actually thought that the sounds that synths made in the early days were good.

Must admit that I never liked Carlos' score for the original.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. On Dangerous Ground - Bernard Herrmann

Charles Gerhardt's recording of The Death Hunt is without equal. cool
  4. The Special Relationship - Desplat

I've really grown to like the funkiness of this score. It's interesting how he melds electronic guitars and pulsating synths so well with a traditional classical orchestra. "Farewell" is especially lovely.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    On Dangerous Ground - Bernard Herrmann

Charles Gerhardt's recording of The Death Hunt is without equal. cool

One of my favourites, a fantastic recording of fantastic music.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011 edited
    Always - Naoki Sato

Majestic in parts, tender in parts and "always" lovely
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011
    Jason and the Argonauts - Simon Boswell

It's a shame there aren't more CD's of his work out there. Very under-represented for such a talented composer. Like Tin Man, this has a good main theme (though Tin Man's was better) and very solid moments of action throughout.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Dark Void - Bear McCreary

Taken on its own terms, it's OK. I mean, if I'd never heard another note of his music, I'd probably think more favourably of it.
    But, my god, his tribal percussion thing (again) is so utterly boring and monotonous. Very simplistic stuff and utterly one-dimensional.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    127 Hours - A.R. Rahman

Slight but interesting enough little score. Nice opening and the Liberation cues are good - especially 'Liberation in a Dream'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/01/15/m … nd-salter/

a review of the 1996 release
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    back to work on the Francis Lai after a brief detour of the horror music.
    listen to more classical music!