• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Red Cliff - Taro Iwashiro

Great, great, great! I have the tracks Battle to Battle, Blood Color and Beyond the River on repeat right now.

shocked Bregje???
    You ...you're alive?!?!?

We missed you so! cry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011
    The Great Miracle - Mark McKenzie

Crikey. Three tracks in and so far this is incredible. If it's like this all the way through then I'm going to be playing this endlessly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Crikey. Three tracks in and so far this is incredible. If it's like this all the way through then I'm going to be playing this endlessly.

Keep me up-dated, I want to know more.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Aside from hints of past McKenzie, there's a hint of Morricone in there I think (when he's in his religious mode) and even just a shade of James Horner. I think it's the most beautiful film score I've heard in a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : The Best of Dragon Quest - Koichi Sugiyama

Thanks Gilles , I'm enjoying this immensely !
    Fantastic stuff ! cool

punk A.W.E.S.O.M.E punk

Indeed, great stuff! punk

NP: Merlin - Trevor Jones

Magic! Outstanding score from start to finish, Trevor Jones is well known for composing great themes. My favorite score by him.
  1. Cristian wrote

NP: Merlin - Trevor Jones

Magic! Outstanding score from start to finish, Trevor Jones is well known for composing great themes. My favorite score by him.

Maybe not his favourite, but certainly his most magical to my ears. Even though that theme is repeated a lot it never gets tiring, and the bits in between the theme some of his most inspired. I truly love those 10+ minute cues!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Very Best of Michael Nyman 2CD - Michael Nyman

A pretty good sampler of Nyman music for a newbie like myself.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Aside from hints of past McKenzie, there's a hint of Morricone in there I think (when he's in his religious mode) and even just a shade of James Horner. I think it's the most beautiful film score I've heard in a long time.

I knew he had a score like this in him! beer
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    I really enjoy it. Thost first two tracks are outstanding. I don't think he gets back to those heights until tracks 12 and 14, but there is some great stuff there. I've liked it more and more with each listen. I wrote a review of the score, which I will post in the McKenzie thread if anyone is interested.
  3. THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - BASIL POLEDOURIS

Good score alert! Please advice captain! Shoot down target or let it surface for all the world to hear, sir?

Negative, hold your fire! By all means let it surface son, you're doing the world a favor.

Right away sir!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011
    christopher wrote
    I really enjoy it. Thost first two tracks are outstanding. I don't think he gets back to those heights until tracks 12 and 14, but there is some great stuff there. I've liked it more and more with each listen. I wrote a review of the score, which I will post in the McKenzie thread if anyone is interested.

Yes please!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    christopher wrote

Yesssssssss wave
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Incognito - John Ottman

Excellent dramatic score by John Ottman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER - BASIL POLEDOURIS

Good score alert! Please advice captain! Shoot down target or let it surface for all the world to hear, sir?

Negative, hold your fire! By all means let it surface son, you're doing the world a favor.

Right away sir!

Wonderful score indeed!
    But at only 30 mins on CD (taylor made for Thor and Southall wink ) it's screaming for an expanded release!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

From you James I take this as a 'must hear'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Right away sir!

Wonderful score indeed!
    But at only 30 mins on CD (taylor made for Thor and Southall wink ) it's screaming for an expanded release!

Fantastic score, one of my Basil faves but I've only seen the film once, is there really much more music? I had the CD before I saw the film and I don't remember there being much more than is represented on CD?
  5. Warlock: The Armageddon - Mark McKenzie

This is a good score by one of the more forgotten composers in the film music world. It was an early entry in Mark McKenzie's career, and he had to endure significant problems during the recording to get the music recorded. It's not really a full blown horror score in the vein of Hellraiser I & II (which I find are two of the more overrated scores of Christopher Young's career and horror scores in general) but it definitely has some horror parts (with help from Young & Goldsmith), channeling Dies Irae through the choir. Contrasting the horror parts, is the love theme and the heroic Druid theme are the highlights of the score, the heroic theme, with the supporting trumpets, not being far away from The Rocketeer (which was written after). Beware of the sound quality, because it was literally recorded in a warehouse. But however, you should seek out this score if you like horror & dramatic scores and you are a Mark McKenzie fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Right away sir!

Wonderful score indeed!

Fantastic score, one of my Basil faves but I've only seen the film once, is there really much more music? I had the CD before I saw the film and I don't remember there being much more than is represented on CD?

True there isn't too much more music (in film). But if the expanded bootleg is anything to go by there is plenty left off. Even if much of it was unused in the final cut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yup, I think it's fine the way it is. Beyond the choral main theme piece, there isn't really that much interesting stuff, not even on the CD. Lots of synth noodling and suspense cues.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Agree on the 30 minute album: sometimes these work better than longwinded expanded releases. But to name another Poledouris which must be released complete at one point or another: Starship Troopers, one of his best scores IMO.
  7. CLEOPATRA - TREVOR JONES

Featuring some stunning moments and a splendid theme. A great listen before I'm off to work. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Agree on the 30 minute album: sometimes these work better than longwinded expanded releases. But to name another Poledouris which must be released complete at one point or another: Starship Troopers, one of his best scores IMO.

Definitely! There's some great cues missing from the Varese release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Yup, I think it's fine the way it is. Beyond the choral main theme piece, there isn't really that much interesting stuff, not even on the CD. Lots of synth noodling and suspense cues.

Indeed. Not one of my favourites. The only track I like is the choral opening (basically by Prokofiev anyway, isn't it?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Ghost Rider - Christopher Young

When I'm in the mood for it , I kinda like this score ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  8. I don't particularly like Ghost Rider, but that theme is plain cool!
  9. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON - JOHN POWELL

First listen outside of the film, and I have to say, not even this one will turn me into a Powell-fan. I've never been one, I like a cue here, a cue there from a select bunch of scores by him, but most of the time I find his style of composing immensely irritating. It's always so busy, so chaotic, so all over the place and I've never been able to connect to his music because of that.

This score has a few good tracks, but overall it gets on my nerves. Now that I think of it, the only Powells I have and remotely enjoy are Chicken Run & Face/Off. This won't be added to them. Sorry to all those who love this score but I don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Eric wrote

kinda ? It is kick-ass!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011 edited
    NP: ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Danny Elfman)

One of his best in the last 10 years. A scandal that it was overlooked at the Oscars.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Christodoulides wrote
    Eric wrote

kinda ? It is kick-ass!

Like I said , kick-ass when I'm in the mood for it ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Was playing: Largo Winch 2 - Alexandre Desplat

Very enjoyable, the kind of fluffy action score you wouldn't expect to hear from him.

Now playing: Concerto for Guitar - Elmer Bernstein

One of the most beautiful things he ever wrote.