• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: The Sacrifice - Mars Needs Moms (John Powell)

Wonderful. The first couple of minutes reminds a little bit of Desplat's Farewell To Dobby, but with female chorus and some weird synth sounds. And the rest is impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2011
    Broken Arrow - Hans Zimmer

There is a certain charm in how incredibly naff it is. It's like the film music equivalent of a woolly jumper from your gran at Christmas - no matter how awful you know it is, you can't help but smile a bit at how quaint and well-intentioned it is.
  2. Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Alexandre Desplat/Aaron Zigman

Charming score, one of the better fantasy children's scores since 2005.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. James, did you go for the expanded release?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Southall wrote

There is a certain charm in how incredibly naff it is. It's like the film music equivalent of a woolly jumper from your gran at Christmas - no matter how awful you know it is, you can't help but smile a bit at how quaint and well-intentioned it is.

It took me a while to find out what this score is and I must say that of all the actioners he did in mid-90s, except Crimson Tide, which I always thought was a psychological thriller, this work is my favourite. It's pure fun and it's meant to be nothing else just than a slightly more nuanced than always fun score. It's as melodic as Hans in action mode can get and definitely way better than Drop Zone which is chaotic as hell sometimes.

Charming is a good word for it. Also notice that this score has a huge notion of autoirony, which is very nice.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. NP: Gribble's Loss - Mars Needs Moms (John Powell)

I love how Powell uses the piano in this one. By the way, the main theme sounds in this one, and it's sounds like the Omatikaya theme from Avatar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    James, did you go for the expanded release?

Got a promo. The original album was one of the earliest soundtrack purchases I made, I think (certainly my first Zimmer) and I hated it and traded it away very swiftly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE COLOR PURPLE (Quincy Jones)

Lovely theme

The Delerue theme?

Yes, the first part of the theme is a bit similar to Delerue's OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE theme, but the similarity is overrated (as they usually are in such cases). Besides, I don't really mind anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Martian Mambo - Mars Needs Moms (John Powell)

biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin
  7. Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE COLOR PURPLE (Quincy Jones)

Lovely theme

The Delerue theme?

Yes, the first part of the theme is a bit similar to Delerue's OUR MOTHER'S HOUSE theme, but the similarity is overrated (as they usually are in such cases). Besides, I don't really mind anyway.

Our Mother's House is one of Delerue's overliked scores. Besides, the main theme (repeats a fair bit), there's not much else to talk about.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    ^^ Too bad there aren't more famous black composers. Aside from Jones, there's only Terence Blanchard that I know of...

There's a few that have dipped their toes, Herbie Hancock, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis. Also Stanley Clarke who's done quite a few film scores but I haven't been impressed by them, some of his jazz/funk albums are masterpieces though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Got a promo. The original album was one of the earliest soundtrack purchases I made, I think (certainly my first Zimmer) and I hated it and traded it away very swiftly.

Someone did me a CDR of it years ago, I don't know where it is now and I don't care.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Beyondness of Things - John Barry

It`s not bad, a bit expendable in terms of alluding to previous (and better) Barry scores.

It's a superb album that stands on it's own, love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    ^^ Too bad there aren't more famous black composers. Aside from Jones, there's only Terence Blanchard that I know of...
    terence's writing and style are nothing short than brilliant.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I agree. Expect that some times he can be way too minimalistic, like in Miracle At St. Anna.
  9. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Someone did me a CDR of it years ago, I don't know where it is now and I don't care.

I don't like most of Broken Arrow either.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Red Cliff - Taro Iwashiro

Great, great, great! I have the tracks Battle to Battle, Blood Color and Beyond the River on repeat right now.

shocked Bregje???
    You ...you're alive?!?!?

We missed you so! cry

Oh! Thanks. smile
    Yes, I'm still alive.

And listening to Red Cliff again. wave
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    Southall wrote

It took me a while to find out what this score is and I must say that of all the actioners he did in mid-90s, except Crimson Tide, which I always thought was a psychological thriller, this work is my favourite. It's pure fun and it's meant to be nothing else just than a slightly more nuanced than always fun score. It's as melodic as Hans in action mode can get and definitely way better than Drop Zone which is chaotic as hell sometimes.

Charming is a good word for it. Also notice that this score has a huge notion of autoirony, which is very nice.

I'm with you Pawel... Broken Arrow is one of those 90s Zimmers that have never lost their appeal for me. In fact I secretly would love Hans to compose Broken Arrow 2.

While I think Crimson Tide is a synthesized masterpiece, Broken Arrow gets more spins as it's not as dark.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  11. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I take it it's underneath a huge pile of dust, you should start to look there. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. WINDTALKERS - JAMES HORNER

The main theme is quite good, and when James puts it in action mode, it's even better. So tracks like 'Taking the Beachhead' and 'Marine Assault' are great. The overall score isn't consistently good though and has too many elements we've already heard better in other works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I take it it's underneath a huge pile of dust, you should start to look there. wink

If you enjoy it, Gilles, then really that's all that matters, I didn't like it and no amount of plays is going to make me like it, if it's under somewhere dusty I'll leave it there to become fossilised wink
  13. No problem whatsoever, hence the wink.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ON THE BEACH (Christopher Gordon)

Great score, with one orchestral setpiece after the other for 70 minutes. From beautiful to harrowing to heroic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

I agree. Expect that some times he can be way too minimalistic, like in Miracle At St. Anna.

Yeap, not my favorite work of his, but requiem for Katrina is phenomenally good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  14. NP: Damien: Omen II - Jerry Goldsmith

Goldsmith's choice of synths crops up now and again in these discussions. It's often a love/hate thing. But what was he thinking then he used the Jew's harp in the titles of this film? It's especially irritating in the original score version. I can't help but see Spring Mario bouncing about in my mind's eye.
  15. Christodoulides wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

Yeap, not my favorite work of his, but requiem for Katrina is phenomenally good.

Besides 25th Hour, it's my favorite of Blanchard. Though half of the album is music made by the members of his band (Aaron Parks wrote the amazing "Ashe") and themes from Inside Man.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Damien: Omen II - Jerry Goldsmith

Goldsmith's choice of synths crops up now and again in these discussions. It's often a love/hate thing. But what was he thinking then he used the Jew's harp in the titles of this film? It's especially irritating in the original score version. I can't help but see Spring Mario bouncing about in my mind's eye.

biggrin

There's still more than enough great tracks to make up for that. I prefer the "original" album recording.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LIVE - Michael Nyman

Brilliant stuff! It contains some of his concert works which I mostly prefer but does have a lengthy suite from THE PIANO.
  16. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

biggrin

There's still more than enough great tracks to make up for that. I prefer the "original" album recording.

Goodness yes!! I even love the tracks that contain the Jew's harp. Of the two I do prefer the one I was familiar with first: the re-recording. But it is great to hear them both for comparison. Though I wish that there was not damage on some of the original soundtrack recording tracks - spoils slightly my favourite tracks on the CD.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

biggrin

Goodness yes!! I even love the tracks that contain the Jew's harp. Of the two I do prefer the one I was familiar with first: the re-recording. But it is great to hear them both for comparison. Though I wish that there was not damage on some of the original soundtrack recording tracks - spoils slightly my favourite tracks on the CD.

Due to your thread I had a look at the track listing, while looking at the shelf I see that I've never played my deluxe copy of THE OMEN, it's still sealed and I bought it when it came out. shocked