• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011
    Inception A score that is really fun to return to. Captures the mood of the film very well.

Did anyone else wish that the ending of Lost could have been more like the ending of Inception. I would have been all there if it were all a dream, yet these characters had still learned something from it all. It would have been incredible if they were walking through an airport thinking that for some reason they recognized each other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    omaha wrote
    Inception A score that is really fun to return to. Captures the mood of the film very well.

Funny! I was just finishing that soundtrack.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Before slipping open The Omen?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011 edited
    NP: Malos Habitos - Daniele Luppi

For review. I found this Mexican film on Youtube as I wanted to get a sense of how this sombre score fitted into the movie. Having now watched half the film (without subtitles) it is all a bit clearer - and this is a good example where having seen the film helps with an appreciation of the film. Which is a shame as not many people will have seen this movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Rango - Hans Zimmer et al.

I really like this album, but I would love the score without all of the dialogue. The Rango suite is excellent and is such a pure Zimmer thing, that it only seem to emphasize the idea, that the rest of the album would have been a much better listening experience sans dialogue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dialogue has been a bane of, thankfully, only a small amount of score releases, it's still a pain in the rear though when it gets in the way of something you enjoy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. definitely, if I want to hear dialogue I'll go see the movie
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just out of interest, can anyone think of a score where the inclusion of some dialogue was a bonus?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I thought some dialogue in Hannibal really added to the atmosphere.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dialogue is the rape of film music on cd. In the ass.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Quigley Down Under - Basil Poledouris

One of my favourite Poledouris scores which has a fantastic theme !
    Saddle up !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can only think of one just ONE album I have where I enjoy ( and enjoy immensely ) the dialogue and sound effects that are mixed with the music tracks and that's FLASH GORDON by Queen.
  3. Eric wrote
    NP : Quigley Down Under - Basil Poledouris

One of my favourite Poledouris scores which has a fantastic theme !
    Saddle up !

indeed, fantastic score, but I adore the Intrada version more. The Prometheus album is too long, and it delivers too many action theme statements, making it less exciting near the end

but what a catchy theme
  4. Jeff Bridges' dialogue in Tron: Legacy was, I thought, quite effective.

And there was some dialogue in one of the tracks from Coulais' The Chorus that also worked well. Though in this case, with it being in French, that made it seem less like dialogue!

On a related note, I don't like English language opera as it sounds a bit daft. Though I do enjoy some musicals!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Timmer wrote
    I can only think of one just ONE album I have where I enjoy ( and enjoy immensely ) the dialogue and sound effects that are mixed with the music tracks and that's FLASH GORDON by Queen.

yeah
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Bregt wrote
    I thought some dialogue in Hannibal really added to the atmosphere.

I might have agreed to that, until I remember that there were a couple tracks that had passages that I really wanted to hear, but wasn't able to, since they were buried by the dialogue.
  5. NP: LOST Season 5 (Michael Giacchino)

After a better 4th season, this one just continues to deliver me ... stuff I already heard before. Pfff, just plain average

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    Timmer wrote

yeah

beer

I just love that album, great fun from begining to end and great music too, I have a promo of Howard Blake's score ( no dialogue or effects ) and it's very good but I hardly ever play it compared with the popular album.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Tailor of Panama- Shaun Davey

What a theme what a theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing some Zimmer scores...What's wrong with them!!?¿! No way to listen well in my Home Cinema 5.1 (with only the frontal speakers). Specially the metal section are annoying.

NP: Mars needs Moms (Powell)

First listen... the main theme is soooooooo...close to the Shrek (deep blue sea) one...
    The "Martian Mambo" is sooooooooooo....close to "mini sloths song"......

Anyway another fun to listen Powell orchestral score.
  6. Nautilus wrote
    I was playing some Zimmer scores...What's wrong with them!!?¿! No way to listen well in my Home Cinema 5.1 (with only the frontal speakers). Specially the metal section are annoying.

NP: Mars needs Moms (Powell)

First listen... the main theme is soooooooo...close to the Shrek (deep blue sea) one...
    The "Martian Mambo" is sooooooooooo....close to "mini sloths song"......

Anyway another fun to listen Powell orchestral score.

The main theme reminds me of the Omatikaya theme from Avatar. And yeah, Martian Mambo is like "Mini Sloths Sing-A-Long" but much more quirky. Best cue is The Sacrifice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Just out of interest, can anyone think of a score where the inclusion of some dialogue was a bonus?

No.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    NP: ON THE BEACH (Christopher Gordon)

Great score, with one orchestral setpiece after the other for 70 minutes. From beautiful to harrowing to heroic.

Indeed. And it doesn't really feel too long at 70 minutes either.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

I think, like cheese and me, this only gets better with age.
  8. Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

No.

Star Trek II
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: ON THE BEACH (Christopher Gordon)

Great score, with one orchestral setpiece after the other for 70 minutes. From beautiful to harrowing to heroic.

Indeed. And it doesn't really feel too long at 70 minutes either.

True. Great example that length doesn't really matter to me (as popular opinion would have it), but rather HOW the music is arranged. This is a kind of suite/segmentation format that works very well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PARTY (Henry Mancini)

Suave. cool
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    The Mummy - Jerry Goldsmith

I think, like cheese and me, this only gets better with age.

It is - to put it shortly - my alltime favourite Goldsmith soundtrack album!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

No.

Star Trek II

I like the expanded version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Jeff Bridges' dialogue in Tron: Legacy was, I thought, quite effective.

I concur. This and Star Trek II. I LOVE Spock giving the classic Star Trek voice over.