• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011
    NP: ANGELS IN AMERICA - THOMAS NEWMAN

I'll never tire of this one, it's absolutely superb. His best, IMO. Fantastic recording as well - the strings on Bayeaux Tapestry blow me away every time. So crisp and detailed.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Mars Needs Moms - John Powell

Somewhat generic in parts, bits of temp tracking here and there, but overall a very fun orchestral score with very apt integration of synths. The quieter tracks like The Sacrifice are lovely too. Shame it's a download-only release. Powell is in top form, can't wait for Rio. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

I'll never tire of this one, it's absolutely superb. His best, IMO. Fantastic recording as well - the strings on Bayeaux Tapestry blow me away every time. So crisp and detailed.

cool

After ROAD TO PERDITION, i'd say that this along with American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption and Cinderella man are his best scores to date indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JOHN POWELL = Marms needs moms

Fun score but whoever established Mars-related topics to be scored with the friggin Theremin should be shot. (was that Elfman?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Timmer wrote
    Just out of interest, can anyone think of a score where the inclusion of some dialogue was a bonus?

I always play All Systems Go when I want to hear The Launch from Apollo 13. In that case I think it is a bonus and adds something to the music (especially how those tracks flow into eachother).

Of course I would have hated it if they had put the dialogue where it is in the film, somewhere in that track The Launch, so a very good thing they separated it!

Maybe technically not dialogue, but I enjoy the songs (Pippin, Aragorn, Bilbo) in Return to the King. It is sort of dialogue, because those are spoken/sung lines in the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011 edited
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - largo winch 2

The calmer, more dramatic parts like The conspiracy, Malunai, The Massacre of Kai Pu, or the gorgeous "Escape from the camp" and "Largo's sorrow" are the highlights for me. I also enjoyed the brief re-appearance of the main theme from the previous movie, in "getting closer".
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I thought stuff like The Conspiracy was complete drone. sleep

I've taken a few action cues and stuck them in the original Largo Winch playlist.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: LOST Season 5 (Michael Giacchino)

After a better 4th season, this one just continues to deliver me ... stuff I already heard before. Pfff, just plain average

Move onto season six asap. Season five is the weakest musically by a long way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Drone? Not for me sir smile The action cues are standard Desplat but enjoyable, or the tension-building 'the Fracken' cue for instance with the Birth-ish bass line. I think i like this score more than the first one 'cause it contains more dramatic material. "Bathroom fight" or "Helicopter fight" are some nice kick-ass ostinati-led action cues for example.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: Mars needs Moms (Powell)

First listen... the main theme is soooooooo...close to the Shrek (deep blue sea) one...

Anyway another fun to listen Powell orchestral score.

I hear no Shrek whatsoever. Dawn Of The Dinosaurs (Rescues) yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Bregje wrote
    I always play All Systems Go when I want to hear The Launch from Apollo 13.

Excuse me, I mean Launch Control of course. rolleyes
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Dialogue is the rape of film music on cd. In the ass.

Nigel Westlake's Babe comes to mind, your explanation sums it up pretty well. The music is so good, it feels like a rape whenever dialogue (and sound effects) show up. vomit

On some occasions it's not awful though. I like Robert Carlyle's talking on Angela's Ashes.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : Quigley Down Under - Basil Poledouris

One of my favourite Poledouris scores which has a fantastic theme !
    Saddle up !

indeed, fantastic score, but I adore the Intrada version more. The Prometheus album is too long, and it delivers too many action theme statements, making it less exciting near the end

but what a catchy theme

Yep another expanded album that doesn't quite do what the original does: provide enough excitement to keep me from dozing off. Luckily the album is filled with enough memorable cues.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BLACK BEAUTY (Danny Elfman)

Some wild dissonance here and there, but mostly beautiful, melancholic, slightly Gaelic melodies.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Bregje wrote
    Bregje wrote
    I always play All Systems Go when I want to hear The Launch from Apollo 13.

Excuse me, I mean Launch Control of course. rolleyes

There's no track called 'Launch Control' on the album, nor the promo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yes, there is. On the album.

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The lady's right: track 8!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

After ROAD TO PERDITION, i'd say that this along with American Beauty, Shawshank Redemption and Cinderella man are his best scores to date indeed.

I will add to that list Meet Joe Black and The Horse Whisperer

NP: Blood Diamond - James Newton Howard

A favorite score of mine from JNH, I'm glad that Edward Zwick choose him for this movie, they are developing a great collaboration, JNH scored three of his movies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Just out of interest, can anyone think of a score where the inclusion of some dialogue was a bonus?

I always play All Systems Go when I want to hear The Launch from Apollo 13. In that case I think it is a bonus and adds something to the music (especially how those tracks flow into eachother).

Of course I would have hated it if they had put the dialogue where it is in the film, somewhere in that track The Launch, so a very good thing they separated it!

Maybe technically not dialogue, but I enjoy the songs (Pippin, Aragorn, Bilbo) in Return to the King. It is sort of dialogue, because those are spoken/sung lines in the movie.

The "dialogue" in the Rings movies I wouldn't count, they are integral to the score.

I agree with you on the snippets in APOLLO 13 but, as you say Bregje, it doesn't interfere with the music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Dialogue is the rape of film music on cd. In the ass.

Nigel Westlake's Babe comes to mind, your explanation sums it up pretty well. The music is so good, it feels like a rape whenever dialogue (and sound effects) show up. vomit

On some occasions it's not awful though. I like Robert Carlyle's talking on Angela's Ashes.

BABE eh? Why not try Camille Saint-Saens dialogue free SYMPHONY # 3 'Organ' wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN POWELL = Marms needs moms

Fun score but whoever established Mars-related topics to be scored with the friggin Theremin should be shot. (was that Elfman?)

NOPE! Elfman's is a nod to 1950's sci-fi films, a homage to the style of that era, I suspect ( without any knowledge of the film at all ) that Powell's is too.

LOVE the THEREMIN cool punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The lady's right: track 8!

Track 7 even wink 'ALL SYSTEMS GO - THE LAUNCH'

on the promo it's track 3.

for all of our sakes I think it's best if I'm in charge of the escape spaceships when Bellus consumes the earth in a giant fireball
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, track 8. "LAUNCH CONTROL". angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Bregje wrote
    Yes, there is. On the album.

confused

Martijn and Bregje are right, I am wrong! sad

Having sold the album all this time ago I totally forgot about such a track.
  4. MEDAL OF HONOR: UNDERGROUND - MICHAEL GIACCHINO

For a long time this was my least favourite of the MOH scores. Maybe because it's a tad darker than the other ones. However the soundtrack truly shines where all the others do too: the action music and use of themes are second to none. But I still prefer the first MOH, which is an action masterpiece, and Frontline, which is also incredibly emotional at times.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

TRACK TRACK 7 tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

TRACK TRACK 7 tongue

Hmmmmm? I figured there's a reason you're insisting on track 7 so I just briefly skimmed through the tracks, you're correct, LAUNCH CONTROL does start on track 8 with the music coming in at track 9 and yet the album states it's all on track 7.

We're both right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tin Star/Bernstein has a different western flavor but it had to as it starred Anthony Perkins.
    listen to more classical music!
  5. NP: Sky Battle - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

punk punk punk punk
  6. It's funny listening to some of the tracks on MovieScore Media's releases of Chris Ridenhour's music to various "mockbusters" and listening out to the similarities (or otherwise) to the better known blockbusters of a similar name.

biggrin

Some of it is quite good stuff - though I wish they were not done as suites. Sometimes 20 minutes straight is just a little too much on the ears.

Any chance of a breakdown of the suites Mikael?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Anthony wrote
    I thought stuff like The Conspiracy was complete drone. sleep

I've taken a few action cues and stuck them in the original Largo Winch playlist.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: LOST Season 5 (Michael Giacchino)

After a better 4th season, this one just continues to deliver me ... stuff I already heard before. Pfff, just plain average

Move onto season six asap. Season five is the weakest musically by a long way.

ah good to know that. Considering you're the Lost connaisseur here, I was curious whether it was just me wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh