• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. David OC wrote
    Dark Void - Bear McCreary

Taken on its own terms, it's OK. I mean, if I'd never heard another note of his music, I'd probably think more favourably of it.
    But, my god, his tribal percussion thing (again) is so utterly boring and monotonous. Very simplistic stuff and utterly one-dimensional.

I haven't made it through this one yet. Much prefer the simpler, more emotional BSG music rather than this wall of sound.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    David OC wrote
    Dark Void - Bear McCreary

Taken on its own terms, it's OK. I mean, if I'd never heard another note of his music, I'd probably think more favourably of it.
    But, my god, his tribal percussion thing (again) is so utterly boring and monotonous. Very simplistic stuff and utterly one-dimensional.

I haven't made it through this one yet. Much prefer the simpler, more emotional BSG music rather than this wall of sound.

I prefer the mix of the two, as presented in his best bsg score to date imo, the 3rd installment.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Agreed. BSG 3 is a fine album. That album and the best parts of seasons 2 and 4 do mean that I'm really interested in what Mccreary does for at least a few scores. DARK VOID had the disadvantage of being a game score (which often means drama is less the subject than kinetics, nothing implied about the craftsmanship involved in the scoring).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011 edited
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ~ Jone Williams

My favourite by far "Indiana Jones" score and me and my dad's favourite film from the four. We always watch it together! I'm his "junior" you see! shame smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  3. Stavroula wrote

My favourite by far "Indiana Jones" score and me and my dad's favourite film from the four. We always watch it together! I'm his "junior" you see! shame smile

smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Stavroula wrote

That is so cute! cheesy

And yes, it is a great film and score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Stavroula wrote

Awwwww!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Atham wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Atham wrote
    Farewell To The King - Basil Poledouris
    With the exception of parts of this score, Conan The Destroyer and Flesh + Blood has Basil scored anything else in the Conan style?

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=10408

Thank you plindboe!

Welcome. smile It's a very fine album, with high quality music, but it's ridiculously short. Here are a couple of reviews:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/conan_spectacular.html
    http://www.soundtrack.net/albums/database/?id=2517

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Sahara - Nick Dodd (with Clint Mansell)

I remember this score being better the last time I listened to it...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Stavroula wrote

Excellent choice, wise lady. It's my preferred one too, especially the score. beer

But you're wrong about one thing though. The Indiana Jones series doesn't contain a fourth film. It's the first film in another series, that is not about Indiana Jones and his adventures, but about lifeless characters and boring adventures, however I admit they do look a lot like certain well known Indiana Jones characters. Sadly the guy directing this first film in another series that isn't about Indiana Jones wasn't really Steven Spielberg but some nobody shooting his first project, and failing miserably, he simply used the same name as an alias.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Excellent choice, wise lady. It's my preferred one too, especially the score.

Mine too.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    BLADE RUNNER - VANGELIS

It's one of my alltime favourite soundtracks and one of the analysis chapters in my master thesis. Great choice.

It's another character in the movie, that much is certain. Without it, the film would certainly have been not as mesmerizing.

Anybody knows whether the 3-disc 25th Anniversary album is worth getting? I hear the 3rd disc is entirely new material by Vangelis in the same style of Blade Runner.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anybody knows whether the 3-disc 25th Anniversary album is worth getting? I hear the 3rd disc is entirely new material by Vangelis in the same style of Blade Runner.

I have it, and if you're really a fan of the music, it certainly is. Disc 1 obviously is the best, though, with Disc 2 simply adding more atmospheric music without much diversity. Disc 3 is a totally different affair, with added monologues from the director and other individuals, sometimes not so much in the Blade Runner mood. It's some kind of conceptual music. You need to be a fan of this kind of music to really appreciate, if you're just a casual fan because of the film, disc 1 (the original soundtrack album) will do fine.
  5. OK will try before I buy, thx Bob. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Mine too.

My fave Indy film, my 2nd fave Indy score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Mine too.

My fave Indy film, my 2nd fave Indy score.

My third fave Indy film and third fave Indy score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kingdom of The Crystal Skull being your first, of course!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Isn't it everyone's?

I actually don't think the score is that far distant behind the others. I'd say there is a bigger gap between Raiders/Temple of Doom (both incredibly good) and Last Crusade, in my estimation. The film is very much behind the others, but I still found it enjoyable enough.
  6. Amalia (Nuno Malo)

Don't honestly see what's all the fuzz about this score, it's nice but nothing special. Then I like his other score Julgamento a lot more
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lover's Prayer - Joel McNeely

Gorgeous music. McNeely has so much talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Southall wrote
    Isn't it everyone's?

I actually don't think the score is that far distant behind the others. I'd say there is a bigger gap between Raiders/Temple of Doom (both incredibly good) and Last Crusade, in my estimation. The film is very much behind the others, but I still found it enjoyable enough.

Last Crusade is top-drawer Williams, but it marks a transition from the clear-cut eighties use of thematic material to the more amorphous nineties works where thematic associations are less obvious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Yes!! Highly, highly underrated score, that one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Yes!! Highly, highly underrated score, that one.

That and Javier Navarette's "fireflies in the garden"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011
    Conspiracy Theory - Carter Burwell

One of his best.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    But you're wrong about one thing though. The Indiana Jones series doesn't contain a fourth film. It's the first film in another series, that is not about Indiana Jones and his adventures, but about lifeless characters and boring adventures, however I admit they do look a lot like certain well known Indiana Jones characters. Sadly the guy directing this first film in another series that isn't about Indiana Jones wasn't really Steven Spielberg but some nobody shooting his first project, and failing miserably, he simply used the same name as an alias.

yeah

Southall wrote

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Listening to the Ghost of Frankenstein/Salter and Skinner
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE KINGDOM (Danny Elfman)

As long as we're onto underrated scores, this is one of Elfman's best representatives. If you're into post-rock (Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Sigur Ros etc.), you'll love it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: The Way of the Gun - Joe Kraemer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt

Thx Tom. You're on a roll! cheesy
    Kazoo