• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Black Robe - Georges Delerue

It's a pity that Delerue's final score ended on a derivative note; bits of the score coming from at least three other Delerue prior scores (The Black Stallion Returns/Joe Versus the Volcano/Salvador/etc). It's not bad, quite emotional at times, though, but you can quite clearly tell what is from what. The 'Libera Me' is beautiful.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Black Robe - Georges Delerue

It's a pity that Delerue's final score ended on a derivative note; bits of the score coming from at least three other Delerue prior scores (The Black Stallion Returns/Joe Versus the Volcano/Salvador/etc). It's not bad, quite emotional at times, though, but you can quite clearly tell what is from what. The 'Libera Me' is beautiful.

That it is. Beautiful example of the religious sound. Although the suspense bits are a bit grating.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011 edited
    NP: THE GOOD THIEF (Elliot Goldenthal)

Difficult to describe, this one. Algerian music with acidic jazz twists? Timmer would probably call it "artsy-fartsy", I love it! tongue wink

Oh, and some great songs too, like Cohen's "A Thousand Kisses". They all mesh well with the score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Difficult to describe, this one. Algerian music with acidic jazz twists? Timmer would probably call it "artsy-fartsy", I love it! tongue wink

Oh, and some great songs too, like Cohen's "A Thousand Kisses". They all mesh well with the score.

Yeah, it's "artsy-fartsy" but it's very good "artsy-fartsy", I like the Cohen song and there's one particular ( and criminally short ) jazz track by Goldenthal that I absolutely love.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    JOHN POWELL = Marms needs moms

Fun score but whoever established Mars-related topics to be scored with the friggin Theremin should be shot. (was that Elfman?)

NOPE! Elfman's is a nod to 1950's sci-fi films, a homage to the style of that era, I suspect ( without any knowledge of the film at all ) that Powell's is too.

LOVE the THEREMIN cool punk

I know where it came from. But who put it on "Mars" topics? Was it Mars Attacks?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. FINAL FANTASY VIII: FITHOS LUSEC WECOS VINOSEC - NOBUO UEMATSU

This mindblowing album opens with this stunner. A choral masterpiece and the start of something incredible! Check out the other cues on youtube, there's lots of variety here, even a beautiful love song performed by Faye Wong. Special mention must go the 'Ending Theme', 13 minutes long, and as brilliant a climax as I've ever heard. Uematsu is called the John Williams of asian videogame composing and if you have heard this soundtrack you'll know why.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

That it is. Beautiful example of the religious sound. Although the suspense bits are a bit grating.

MAURICE JARRE - Jesus of Nazareth
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, Mars Attacks music is a homage of films like Invaders From Mars ( the 1950's version ) and....

wtf

YES. It was Elfman's fault!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

MAURICE JARRE - Jesus of Nazareth

^
    Are you playing this or trying to suggest something?

I think I'll start calling you Mysterious D. wink
  3. CRYSIS 2 - HANS ZIMMER & LORNE BALFE

My own 35 minute playlist and it's MUCH better this way. I basically kept all of the really cool tracks and it makes for a really fun listen.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: RANGO - Hans Zimmer et al

There are some great sounding tracks that I just love coming back to. "Rango Returns" is a particular favorite of mine. Sure, it's the "Parlay" cue set to the Rango theme, but dammit, it's awesome sounding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: RYO-MADEN - Naoki Sato

Great stuff. That main title music is a killer track.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    MAX PAYNE - Beltrami/Sanders
    Fairly generic thanks to Sanders' synthetic embellishments but the last 2 tracks are really good - easily the highlights of the album.

JOY RIDE - Beltrami
    Forgotten how enjoyable this tight, perfect little CD is, featuring all the familiar Beltrami-isms in the action/suspense cues.
  4. NP: Terremoto e Battaglia - Pompeii (Marco Frisina)

I like the percussion in this one, and thoses renditions of the main theme, but why the brass sounds so weird?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2011
    NP : TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA - Ennio Morricone

Love it, brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The final ever LOST CD - Michael Giacchino

Typically solid but despite the strength of the recurring themes it's usually the stunning action music that I'll keep returning to. So far on this disc there have been three beauties - 'Pulling Out All the Stops', 'If a Tree Falls' and the absolutely ripping 'Locke v. Jack'!!
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Yeah, it's "artsy-fartsy" but it's very good "artsy-fartsy", I like the Cohen song and there's one particular ( and criminally short ) jazz track by Goldenthal that I absolutely love.

Ew. I dislike this score. There is one track on there that I enjoy and the rest of it is just no good for me at all. One of my least favorite purchases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    lp wrote
    NP: RYO-MADEN - Naoki Sato

Great stuff. That main title music is a killer track.

Great stuff, indeed! You should also purchase the volume II and III.

NP: Hidalgo - James Newton Howard

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    KevinSmith wrote

It's a pity that Delerue's final score...

I've always heard that his last score was Rich in love.

KevinSmith wrote
    The 'Libera Me' is beautiful.

My all-time favourite choral piece. love

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    David OC wrote
    MAX PAYNE - Beltrami/Sanders
    Fairly generic thanks to Sanders' synthetic embellishments but the last 2 tracks are really good - easily the highlights of the album.

Heaven to the max is one of the most beautiful tracks I've ever heard. It's the definition of "gorgeous".

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2011 edited
    NP: THE LOVELY BONES (Brian Eno/various)

Eno's score is, well, lovely, but some of the songs are a little jarring.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Ew. I dislike this score. There is one track on there that I enjoy and the rest of it is just no good for me at all. One of my least favorite purchases.

Love it. Seen the film and was taken by the score, especially the horse race scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

I saw the movie and thought the score completely destroyed an already flawed movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

I saw the movie and thought the score completely destroyed an already flawed movie.

I disagree, I thought the score worked beautifully in a flawed but better than I was led to believe movie.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

It's a pity that Delerue's final score...

I've always heard that his last score was Rich in love.

KevinSmith wrote

My mistake!
    The 'Libera Me' is beautiful.

My all-time favourite choral piece. love

Peter smile
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

I disagree, I thought the score worked beautifully in a flawed but better than I was led to believe movie.

I'm definitely in Timmer's camp here. The film was on my Top 10 list from last year, and was really underrated. I think it will gain appreciation in a few years, like A.I. did. The score is pure bliss. Many fine songs too, and there's no denying that the score/song mix in the film was absolutely perfect. My only qualm is that a few of the songs aren't my cup of tea when listened to alone (and don't work as well on album as in the film).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Just came across a download featuring "Classic Film and TV Scores of Hans J. Salter" that certainly features a wide variety of examples of this composer's work:

Wichita Town: music from a 1959 TV western this is your typical western score very much in the style of Jerome Moross. Bold brass statements, acoustic guitar, music to suggest open vistas, etc. Definitely worth a listen.

The Black Shield of Falworth: a "Technicolor & Tights" film from 1954 definitely in the same family as a Rozsa/Ivanhoe or a Korngold/The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Hitler: a 1962 film starring Richard Basehart as Hitler, very ominous and militaristic in tone.

Certainly a selection that shows off Salter's wide range.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Ironclad - Lorne Balfe

First listen ...
    Bombastic and lots of choir use ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  7. I really like Ironclad though I think that I will be in the minority.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    La Ligne Droite - Patrick Doyle

Has become my favourite score by him. Can't get enough of it.