• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2011 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE NEXT THREE DAYS (Danny Elfman)

More of the ambient/slow/textural music I've come to appreciate recently. Love it!

Thought it was generic to the point of tedium. But then I see you liked Breaking and Entering yesterday to which I 'd apply exactly the same comment. smile

Final Analysis - George Fenton
    Been so long since I listened to anything by him and this remains my personal favourite with its Herrmann-esque brilliance. Incredible action/suspense writing; a score that cries out for expansion though at 30 minutes there's no denying it's a perfect album.

Narnia 3 - David Arnold
    First listen. Seems full of filler cues that have no real reason for existing on CD, but there's a few decent pieces ('The Duel' is light and funny and not what you'd expect). Haven't reached the 11 minute cue yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    David OC wrote
    Thor wrote

More of the ambient/slow/textural music I've come to appreciate recently. Love it!

Thought it was generic to the point of tedium. But then I see you liked Breaking and Entering yesterday to which I 'd apply exactly the same comment. smile

Yup, I'm very much into that kind of music these days. THE NEXT THREE DAYS, BREAKING & ENTERING, CRASH, SOLARIS, MOON, TRAFFIC and so on. Brilliant stuff! And I'm very much NOT into busy, orchestral adventure music, although I play that too once in a while (since my collection is so full of it). So we're probably at opposite points in life, musically, you and I. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Something's Gotta Give - Hans Zimmer & Co

One of the best romantic comedy scores to come out of the factory. Charming and intimate.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  1. NP: Lovegood - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2011
    Thor wrote

It is a style I find myself liking a lot these days (though I didn't think this particular score was anything special). Like you I greatly like Isham's Crash - haven't found anything similar which I like as much, yet. I should probably give Clint Mansell another go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wonderland - Michael Nyman

Gorgeous. I'd forgotten how good it is. Warm, emotional, attractive music.
    Southall wrote
    Wonderland - Michael Nyman

Gorgeous. I'd forgotten how good it is. Warm, emotional, attractive music.

There aren't many (or any) Nyman reviews on your website, you should do some more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I should, you're right. I thought he wasn't doing much film work these days, but looking at the IMDB he seems to be rather prolific. Wonder if any of them get released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Solaris - Cliff Martinez

Possibly my first listen to this; certainly won't be my last, though I imagine I'd have to be in a certain sort of mood to want to hear it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Solaris - Cliff Martinez

Possibly my first listen to this; certainly won't be my last, though I imagine I'd have to be in a certain sort of mood to want to hear it.

It's not one I listen to often though I do like it, very hypnotic and relaxing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Solaris - Cliff Martinez

Makes a whole new sense if you've seen the movie too. An excellent experience for me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Solaris - Cliff Martinez

Excellent CD, just my kind of stuff. Strange that you like this and not so much NEXT THREE DAYS, since they're basically within the same style.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Elfman's? No, not really similar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Elfman's? No, not really similar.

confused

It's VERY similar in parts, although it has a SLIGHT extra touch of grooves/busy-ness.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Different style and the orchestration is completely different. I didn't hear anyone coming close to what Martinez did for Solaris yet.

n.p. The Adjustment Bureau (2011) (Thomas Newman)

Saw the movie last night, i think this score is underrated by film score fans so far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cripes! Give us a chance, it's barely been available and I haven't heard it yet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I mean from the comments i've heard / read so far smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Different style and the orchestration is completely different. I didn't hear anyone coming close to what Martinez did for Solaris yet.

I think scores like SOLARIS, MOON, TRAFFIC, THREE NEXT DAYS, IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH, CRASH, THE LOVELY BONES etc. are all within the same general genre, even though there are obviously also subtle differences between them.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Manwe wrote
    NP: The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer (et al.)

Lovely it is. I always tend to forget how carried away I still become by this.

It is quite nice BTW to have a job where you can listen to music while working. smile cheesy biggrin

The best way to pass the long hours at work is by listening to music, whatever is available on my portable player! I can do that too, I even have a couple of speakers lying around when I'm by myself.

Prince of Egypt is not something I'd put on though... I'm always singing along loud as fuck. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2011 edited
    Thoughts about your last comments, guys...

Goldsmith Forever Young : is a fantastic score. the fanfarre is thrilling and the love theme gorgeous. One of my favourites.

Elfman's Next Three Days : could be in the same "style" of Solaris, "Chill out" sound but it's not so good. Martinez Solaris is one of my all time favourite scores.

Goldsmith's Lionheart: I can appreciate this score but not so enjoy it. The action motif annoys me, and the Hungarian performance is horrible. "King Richard" is AMAZING, thought

Zimmer's "Rango" is not a headache, but the best thing of it is the suite. A suite where Zimmer play his usual tricks.

Williams' (I have to put another 's?) Jaws 2: I enjoy much more this score than the original.

Mars needs Moms is good if not great. it's much more coherent and mature than some "frantic" Powell scores in the past but also it's less original. Anyway, I adore when composers uses theremin and Powell on autopilot is not Zimmer on autopilot.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    I mean from the comments i've heard / read so far smile

I don't know. I was a bit "Meh" on the score, but I might listen to it again. The Adjustment Bureau, I mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nautilus wrote
    Elfman's Next Three Days : could be in the same "style" of Solaris, "Chill out" sound but it's not so good. Martinez Solaris is one of my all time favourite scores.

Well, I haven't had the time to properly digest TNTD yet, but I'm totally in love with it after the first two listenings. It's more varied than SOLARIS, I think, but I like them both.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Elegiac - Biutiful

Nice piano solo.
    Nautilus wrotethe Hungarian performance is horrible. "King Richard" is AMAZING, thought

If performing a cue contained anything with action, they usually struggled. They were decent in Poledouris "Farewell to the King" though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER and LORNE BALFE - megamind

I've seen the movie and this score works absolutely gorgeously in the film. Dramatic and passionate versus clever action cues, it has it all, varicolored and huge fun. Kudos.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011
    Prince of Persia - Harry Gregson Williams

The opening cues and ending cues are pretty good, but the middle is a bit suspect where the score becomes a bit unfocused.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    KevinSmith wrote

The opening cues and ending cues are pretty good, but the middle is a bit suspect where the score becomes a bit unfocused.

Unfocused is probably right - with Gregson-Williams you don't exactly hear evidence of the meticulous planning that goes into creating the architecture of a score the way a Jerry Goldsmith or any superior composer would.
    In saying that though, I don't mind Prince of Persia, it's one of his finer efforts based on the couple of listens I've had.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Piranha - Pino Donaggio

Fun horror/suspense score that doesn't outstay its welcome at 30 minutes. Regardless of whether he's your taste or not you at least have to admit Donaggio has a very distinctive compositional style, especially his string writing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A SINGLE MAN (Abel Korzeniowski)

One of my most-played soundtracks of 2009.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Unfocused is probably right - with Gregson-Williams you don't exactly hear evidence of the meticulous planning that goes into creating the architecture of a score the way a Jerry Goldsmith or any superior composer would.
    In saying that though, I don't mind Prince of Persia, it's one of his finer efforts based on the couple of listens I've had.

Loved it, personally. Along with Kingdom of Heaven and Spy game, some of the few very inspired HGW moments.