• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    David OC wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Prince of Persia - Harry Gregson Williams

The opening cues and ending cues are pretty good, but the middle is a bit suspect where the score becomes a bit unfocused.

Unfocused is probably right - with Gregson-Williams you don't exactly hear evidence of the meticulous planning that goes into creating the architecture of a score the way a Jerry Goldsmith or any superior composer would.
    In saying that though, I don't mind Prince of Persia, it's one of his finer efforts based on the couple of listens I've had.

Loved it, personally. Along with Kingdom of Heaven and Spy game, some of the few very inspired HGW moments.

I prefer Sinbad over any of those you mentioned. And MGS4 isn't bad either.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. BICENTENNIAL MAN - JAMES HORNER

This is gorgeous fluff, it's so bittersweet it could've only come from Horner, and I like it a lot for its sweeping melodies. Too many rips to count, but I wouldn't be a fan of the man if that bothered me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2011
    Rips Schmips! If it's good that's all that counts, I like the score too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. More sweeping lovely music in

PAN TADEUSZ - WOJCIECH KILAR

Track 4 Swiatynia Dumania could just as well have been written by John Barry! It's gob-smacking! There is something about Kilar that makes me return to this man often, his knack for the melodic and accessible is pretty much what I crave for in film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HELLRAISER (Christopher Young)

Massive display of "delicious darkness", the only type of horror film music I can stomach on CD.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote

Massive display of "delicious darkness", the only type of horror film music I can stomach on CD.

This one, Hellbound: Hellraiser II and The Fly II are the only horrors by Young I can stomach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

This one, Hellbound: Hellraiser II and The Fly II are the only horrors by Young I can stomach.

Some parts of it sound VERY much like Horner, IMO, like the string work in "The Rat Slice Quartet" or that clanging percussion stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    More sweeping lovely music in

PAN TADEUSZ - WOJCIECH KILAR

Track 4 Swiatynia Dumania could just as well have been written by John Barry! It's gob-smacking! There is something about Kilar that makes me return to this man often, his knack for the melodic and accessible is pretty much what I crave for in film scores.

It's a shame that more of his work in film isn't available except as compilations of themes.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Not even SPECIES?
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    BICENTENNIAL MAN - JAMES HORNER

This is gorgeous fluff, it's so bittersweet it could've only come from Horner, and I like it a lot for its sweeping melodies. Too many rips to count, but I wouldn't be a fan of the man if that bothered me.

It has probably the best usage of the Genius motif to this day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Then check out BLESS THE CHILD! Here, I'll help ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVSeSoLxg2w

Scoregasm included.
  5. BobdH wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Then check out BLESS THE CHILD! Here, I'll help ya: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVSeSoLxg2w

Scoregasm included.

That cue is amazing!
  6. "Scoregasm Included" sounds like it should be a title for a track from a Harry Potter movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RIPLEY'S GAME - Ennio Morricone

nothing like a bit of neo-baroque especially when it's from the pen of maestro Morricone, fantastic score!
  7. Agreed.

NP: Largo Winch 2 (Desplat)

This isn't doing much for me. The new dramatic theme is nice, but for the most part the rest of it doesn't pulse with the energy of the first score. I think if the album were reduced to something a bit more manageable like the old Varese 30-40 minute albums, there would probably be a good album here.

Another one which I wasn't crazy about recently: La Ligne Droit (Patrick Doyle) -- a new sound for Doyle, and heavenly relief from his overbearing blockbusterish scores, but even this more Philip Glassy palette starts to feel old by album's end. Like Sleuth, the material is great, but it wears me down eventually.

So back to an old friend from here: Sagan (Armand Amar)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ironclad - Lorne Balfe

Alan's Patrick Doyle recommendation worked out well for me. This one did not. Horrendous.
  8. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Not even SPECIES?

Nope, I bought it and I sold it already... not too much on that album that stood out IMO. And I already have the theme played twice as slow on one of my compilations and that'll do!
  9. yonythemoony wrote
    BobdH wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Scoregasm included.

That cue is amazing!

I've got Bless the Child a few weeks ago, heard it twice now, and it does have something, but to say it tops those three I mentioned is not something I'm willing to do (yet). The finale is great yes.
    •  
    MICHAEL COLLINS - ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL

A true inspired Goldenthal work. Emotional and exciting... Love it! It has the sound I wanted 'Interview with a Vampire' to have (but I should maybe listen to it some more). I'll listen to Interview next.

And why do I hear 'Belfast Child' from the Simple Minds in 'She Moved Through the Fair'. Some sort of traditional irish anthem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote

A true inspired Goldenthal work. Emotional and exciting... Love it! It has the sound I wanted 'Interview with a Vampire' to have (but I should maybe listen to it some more). I'll listen to Interview next.

And why do I hear 'Belfast Child' from the Simple Minds in 'She Moved Through the Fair'. Some sort of traditional irish anthem?

"She Moved Through the Fair" is a traditional Irish folk song, yes.

Superb score; one of Goldenthal's most accesible. But not in a bad way.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote

Yeah, James Horner nicked it in Braveheart too.
  10. Southall wrote
    Ironclad - Lorne Balfe

Alan's Patrick Doyle recommendation worked out well for me. This one did not. Horrendous.

Sorry about the Balfe experience. Hopefully I will be remembered for the Doyle recommendation.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm shocked that I didn't know that. It must be very cleverly disguised. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm shocked that I didn't know that. It must be very cleverly disguised. shocked

I'm surprised you've never noticed it, every time I listen to Braveheart ( which is irregularly often ) I expect Jim Kerr to suddenly start singing.
  11. INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE - ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL

A much tougher listen than 'Michael Collins', and I would even dare say I prefer the twisted yet memorable 'In Dreams' over this. In the end I can't keep a single track in my memory, and I'd love to because this is Dark Knight Elliot doing his stuff, yet it seems so inaccessible to my ears.

And that GNR song is so inappropriate... angry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Ironclad - Lorne Balfe

Is it generic wallpaper...or worse??
  12. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm surprised you've never noticed it, every time I listen to Braveheart ( which is irregularly often ) I expect Jim Kerr to suddenly start singing.

From now on, I'll keep an ear out for it, the fact I never learned about it, is probably why I never noticed it. Could you tell me what track it is best heard in?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE - ELLIOT GOLDENTHAL

A much tougher listen than 'Michael Collins', and I would even dare say I prefer the twisted yet memorable 'In Dreams' over this. In the end I can't keep a single track in my memory, and I'd love to because this is Dark Knight Elliot doing his stuff, yet it seems so inaccessible to my ears.

And that GNR song is so inappropriate... angry

It fits in the film though I prefer the original Rolling Stones version.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

From now on, I'll keep an ear out for it, the fact I never learned about it, is probably why I never noticed it. Could you tell me what track it is best heard in?

Not off-hand, it's there near the begining in the delicate tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

So back to an old friend from here: Sagan (Armand Amar)

Absolutely gorgeous although i do prefer "ao: the last Neardental" over it .
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Stunning score, the collins one.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.