• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011
    NP: LES MONDES ENGLOUTIS (Vladimir Cosma)

Inspired by plindboe's pick in the "Alan" thread, as I call it. smile A childhood favourite.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Cleopatra - Trevor Jones

Trevor Jones at his best, this score is one of my favorite.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Cristian wrote
    NP: Cleopatra - Trevor Jones

Trevor Jones at his best, this score is one of my favorite.

punk
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011 edited
    Lifeforce - Henry Mancini

One of the best sci-fi horror scores of the 1980s.
    Femme Fatale - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Generally alright, the 13 minute Bolerish cue is an interesting variant of the original idea. Half of the album is good or very good and the other half is just awful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE MANS - Michel Legrand

Superb! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. KevinSmith wrote

Generally alright, the 13 minute Bolerish cue is an interesting variant of the original idea. Half of the album is good or very good and the other half is just awful.

That Bolero-rip sure did catch my attention in the film. More than the steaming hot erotic scenes it accompanies. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Concert - John Barry

Marvelous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote
    That Bolero-rip sure did catch my attention in the film. More than the steaming hot erotic scenes it accompanies. tongue

I need to watch this movie.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Concert - John Barry

Marvelous.

A great album!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    The Concert - John Barry

What concert? The?

Is this a live album or sumpthink?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Concert - John Barry

What concert? The?

Is this a live album or sumpthink?

Peter smile

It's a studio recording (early 70s) recreating a concert he did a few days earlier. Came out on CD for the first time last year (Universal France).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

biggrin

It's a superb score IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote
    It's a studio recording (early 70s) recreating a concert he did a few days earlier. Came out on CD for the first time last year (Universal France).

The top one here?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    About FEMME FATALE: I am sure you mean 'generally awesome".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

The top one here?

Peter smile

That's the one. Very good, quite in-depth booklet too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I can't make it out, what is your new avatar?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    NP : A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS - Ennio Morricone

Fan-bloody-tastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Emos.rule.the.world
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Emos.rule.the.world

I thought it was Justin Bieber and Bella Swan?
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Film Music (Stromberg & Morgan)

Wonderful music. Of course, the composers assembled it as a listening experience demo for people interested in hiring them (which has lots of moods and tempos mixed throughout) ... but very dynamic and nicely-orchestrated music nonetheless. Another set of composers who aren't getting the top projects in Hollywood like they deserve....
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Cristian wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cristian wrote
    NP: Unfaithful - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

This is my kind of music, gorgeous stuff.

His best score to date along with

EVENING
    TOTAL ECLIPSE

He never went beyond those 3 scores.

His best scores to date in my opinion are:

1. Bliss
    2. Leonie
    3. Unfaithful

No one like his score to Hachiko? It's my absolute favorite of his.
  2. SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - JOHN WILLIAMS

Exemplary restrained writing, such a score is what the movie needed, the fact that the battle scenes went unscored was another great decision on the part of Williams, or was it Spielberg? Makes the moments that have music that much more effective. As for the album, I never play track 1 but let the reprise play out at the end, I never do this on any album in fact when Williams reprises his main theme at the end, works better IMO. I keep the best for last, in this case one of the best cues John has ever written. That hymn represents everything those men and women fought for and reminds us their sacrifice was not in vain. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ODDS'N'ENDS (Danny Elfman)

An iTunes list of various rare Elfman tidbits. Very eclectic mix!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - JOHN WILLIAMS

Exemplary restrained writing, such a score is what the movie needed, the fact that the battle scenes went unscored was another great decision on the part of Williams, or was it Spielberg? Makes the moments that have music that much more effective. As for the album, I never play track 1 but let the reprise play out at the end, I never do this on any album in fact when Williams reprises his main theme at the end, works better IMO. I keep the best for last, in this case one of the best cues John has ever written. That hymn represents everything those men and women fought for and reminds us their sacrifice was not in vain. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

Couldn't have said it any better!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - John Williams

While I do like the 45 minutes of highlights on the original CD, the CD feels longer than it should be (with the somewhat poor presentation of the album). I don't think it's one of the best Star Wars scores (or John Williams), I'm contemplating getting rid of my copy...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote

While I do like the 45 minutes of highlights on the original CD, the CD feels longer than it should be (with the somewhat poor presentation of the album). I don't think it's one of the best Star Wars scores (or John Williams), I'm contemplating getting rid of my copy...

I did it awhile back, as the regular CD was more than good enough.

Do it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011 edited
    KevinSmith wrote

I like the original CD. There's some creative editing on that album but I do also find there to be two or three cues that are deathly boring. One major disappointment for me was that Williams didn't initially turn The Flag Parade into a concert work. He did so AFTER the film came out. I absolutely loathe the way The Flag Parade just fades out on the original and UE of the score. Thank goodness we have the RSNO's incredible rendition of Williams' concert arrangement of that cue on the "The Phantom Menace and Other Film Hits" album released by Varese.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Do it!

Not sure, if you got me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Do it!

Not sure, if you got me?

Ah, you're considering getting rid of the original and keep the Sony?

In that case, DON'T do it!
    I am extremely serious.