• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011 edited
    Before I get into John Williams' score to JURASSIC PARK I'm spinning a custom suite from the Stromberg/Morgan re-recording of Bernard Herrmann's MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. I loathe the entire score but I absolutely ADORE the recording - quite possibly the best of its kind! The suite has all of the major highlights (the balloon cues, the crab cue and others) and it's neatly packaged into an 11 minute and 30 second suite. That's about all I can take from this score but I have to say that the suite plays rather well. Like with most Herrmann music I prefer listening to his scores in concert or suite form - rarely does a complete presentation of Herrmann's music keep my full interest.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    SAVING PRIVATE RYAN - JOHN WILLIAMS

Exemplary restrained writing, such a score is what the movie needed, the fact that the battle scenes went unscored was another great decision on the part of Williams, or was it Spielberg? Makes the moments that have music that much more effective. As for the album, I never play track 1 but let the reprise play out at the end, I never do this on any album in fact when Williams reprises his main theme at the end, works better IMO. I keep the best for last, in this case one of the best cues John has ever written. That hymn represents everything those men and women fought for and reminds us their sacrifice was not in vain. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

My gf doesn't normally like John Williams, but she's absolutely nuts about "Hymn to the fallen". It's such an extraordinary piece.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Now playing "Osrich race" from "Prince of Persia" and wondering why people rave about it. Sure it's kinda cute, but it's short and not really catchy or interesting. Every single second of "Sinbad: Legend of the seven seas" pawns this piece.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    Now playing "Osrich race" from "Prince of Persia" and wondering why people rave about it. Sure it's kinda cute, but it's short and not really catchy or interesting. Every single second of "Sinbad: Legend of the seven seas" pawns this piece.

Peter smile

If you are going to say pwn then at least spell it right...errr... wrong...errr... the correct way in idiot language. rolleyes PWNED... no A. wink Git wit the mutha fuckin' times yo!

Anyway, as for "Ostrich Race" It's really nice to hear woodwinds! Any time a composer uses swirling piccolo over top of a big, meaty action cue is alright with me. The horn motif in that cue is also really good!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Jurassic Park - John Williams

One of the greatest scores of all time presented on a terribly produced album. What in the living hell are the end credits doing in the middle of this album with the two main themes bookending the album. Augh! The repetition of those themes almost kills the album.

Anywho, a little rejigging of the tracks in iTunes and now everything is as it should be! Great, GREAT, GREAT music!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - John Williams

While I do like the 45 minutes of highlights on the original CD, the CD feels longer than it should be (with the somewhat poor presentation of the album). I don't think it's one of the best Star Wars scores (or John Williams), I'm contemplating getting rid of my copy...

I did it awhile back, as the regular CD was more than good enough.

Do it!

Not sure, if you got me?

Ah, you're considering getting rid of the original and keep the Sony?

In that case, DON'T do it!

No, I meant, I have the original only.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

One of the greatest scores of all time presented on a terribly produced album. What in the living hell are the end credits doing in the middle of this album with the two main themes bookending the album. Augh! The repetition of those themes almost kills the album.

Actually, I think that's what MAKES the album....one of its very best parts. Like a symphony, the main thematic material is placed in the beginning, middle and end. Just perfect!

But at least we can agree on the quality of the score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

While I do like the 45 minutes of highlights on the original CD, the CD feels longer than it should be (with the somewhat poor presentation of the album). I don't think it's one of the best Star Wars scores (or John Williams), I'm contemplating getting rid of my copy...

Do it!

Not sure, if you got me?

Ah, you're considering getting rid of the original and keep the Sony?

In that case, DON'T do it!

No, I meant, I have the original only.

dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Prince of Persia ( which I'm not playing right now )

My problem with scores like this is that they're all so unmemorable, this is like pleasent wallpaper, nothing offensive but nothing memorable. I can listen to this and it nicely and prettily washes over me but I have no desire to want to play it again, it's the kind of scoring where I just casually shrug my shoulders in indifference.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Actually, I think that's what MAKES the album....one of its very best parts. Like a symphony, the main thematic material is placed in the beginning, middle and end. Just perfect!

I would be Ok with that but the opening and closing tracks are snipped out of the end credit cue. There is no difference in performance or orchestration. This is where repetition hurts Williams' presentation of this score. We hear the main Jurassic Park theme on track two, get a playing of the secondary theme in track 4 (the main theme is heard again in that cue as well) and then have to hear them again in track 7. Yeah... that doesn't work. The album would have been better sequenced in one of two ways.

1) Present the end title cue in it's entirety as heard in track 7 at the beginning of the album (I don't mind this one bit as it presents the main themes the listener will hear during the course of the album presentation) and end the album with the orchestra and timpani blasts of "T-Rex Rescue & Finale." During the course of the album there are main variations of the main themes to satisfy your symphony like presentation... especially in the "Journey to the Island" cue.

OR...

2) Start with the pounding drums heard in the main title go right into the opening cue - "Incident at Isla Nublar" - and leave the end credit piece until the end of the album.

IMHO, my first suggestion would have been a far superior presentation.

-Erik-
  1. Thor wrote
    NP: ODDS'N'ENDS (Danny Elfman)

An iTunes list of various rare Elfman tidbits. Very eclectic mix!

Pretty amazing but I was listening to the exact same set of cues on the 'Music for a Darkened Theatre Vol. 2' compilation around the same time, 4 hours ago. Is there some sort of telepathic communication going on here? shocked
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

Prince of Persia ( which I'm not playing right now )

My problem with scores like this is that they're all so unmemorable, this is like pleasent wallpaper, nothing offensive but nothing memorable. I can listen to this and it nicely and prettily washes over me but I have no desire to want to play it again, it's the kind of scoring where I just casually shrug my shoulders in indifference.

I have the exact same feeling. POP does very little for me, I've heard it twice now, but if there would never be a third time, I wouldn't actually feel bad about that.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Do it!

Yep you sold it to me. I actually like the chopped up presentation of the Ult. Ed. and I never thought I would enjoy it before buying it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I would be Ok with that but the opening and closing tracks are snipped out of the end credit cue. There is no difference in performance or orchestration. This is where repetition hurts Williams' presentation of this score. We hear the main Jurassic Park theme on track two, get a playing of the secondary theme in track 4 (the main theme is heard again in that cue as well) and then have to hear them again in track 7. Yeah... that doesn't work. The album would have been better sequenced in one of two ways.

1) Present the end title cue in it's entirety as heard in track 7 at the beginning of the album (I don't mind this one bit as it presents the main themes the listener will hear during the course of the album presentation) and end the album with the orchestra and timpani blasts of "T-Rex Rescue & Finale." During the course of the album there are main variations of the main themes to satisfy your symphony like presentation... especially in the "Journey to the Island" cue.

OR...

2) Start with the pounding drums heard in the main title go right into the opening cue - "Incident at Isla Nublar" - and leave the end credit piece until the end of the album.

IMHO, my first suggestion would have been a far superior presentation.

-Erik-

Not bad suggestions. They might have worked too, especially the first.

But it's the bold statements of the theme that become the "base" or centerpiece for the listening experience throughout, so I don't mind that they're basically the same versions. It's like a safari where you have one home base, but then make day excursions into various settings (whether scary or magical).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

Pretty amazing but I was listening to the exact same set of cues on the 'Music for a Darkened Theatre Vol. 2' compilation around the same time, 4 hours ago. Is there some sort of telepathic communication going on here? shocked

True, except that I wasn't listening to the MFADT2 section, but a selfmade Elfman list of a whole bunch of rare pieces. Like this:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/elfman1.jpg
    http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/elfman2.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I've become so used to Jurassic Park's album sequencing I don't have a problem with it. As far as completely out of order goes, this certainly doesn't make for a bad listen, not for me it at least.
  5. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

True, except that I wasn't listening to the MFADT2 section, but a selfmade Elfman list of a whole bunch of rare pieces. Like this:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/elfman1.jpg
    http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/elfman2.jpg

YOWZA! A bit more than the 11 minutes on my album then... cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    If you are going to say pwn then at least spell it right...errr... wrong...errr... the correct way in idiot language. rolleyes PWNED... no A. wink Git wit the mutha fuckin' times yo!

I have a thing about vowels. I think it requires an IQ less than 70 to spell it without the a.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah applause

1000,000 kudos point to Peter!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Woohoo! I'm rich! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    minus 1000,000 kudos points to Peter rolleyes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    *kills self sad wink
  6. NP: Black Swan (Clint Mansell)

I heard the influence (Tchaikovsky's music), and even though you can't listen around it, I wouldn't make it ineligible for this influence. Considering the whole film deals around Tchaikovsky's ballet anyhoo. At least Mansell makes an effort to glue it altogether. Either way, not a score I'll listen to again, but I can understand that it will work wonders inside the film. At least I prefer it to be nominated instead of the (?winners?) of the Golden Globes for the upcoming Oscars
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

I like the original CD. There's some creative editing on that album but I do also find there to be two or three cues that are deathly boring. One major disappointment for me was that Williams didn't initially turn The Flag Parade into a concert work. He did so AFTER after the film came out. I absolutely loathe the way The Flag Parade just fades out on the original and UE of the score. Thank goodness we have the RSNO's incredible rendition of Williams' concert arrangement of that cue on the "The Phantom Menace and Other Film Hits" album released by Varese.

-Erik-

Agree with every word!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote

Anywho, a little rejigging of the tracks in iTunes and now everything is as it should be! Great, GREAT, GREAT music!

-Erik-

Agree with every word!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Blackberry again?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've become so used to Jurassic Park's album sequencing I don't have a problem with it. As far as completely out of order goes, this certainly doesn't make for a bad listen, not for me it at least.

It's one of the few "produced" (as opposed to indiscriminately presented in film order) albums which I just don't think works at all. Having the end titles in the middle just ruins it for me. I don't mind the main theme presented as it is in track two - I just ditch what is called the end titles and put the actual end titles at the end. Seems to work so much better to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  7. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've become so used to Jurassic Park's album sequencing I don't have a problem with it. As far as completely out of order goes, this certainly doesn't make for a bad listen, not for me it at least.

It's one of the few "produced" (as opposed to indiscriminately presented in film order) albums which I just don't think works at all. Having the end titles in the middle just ruins it for me. I don't mind the main theme presented as it is in track two - I just ditch what is called the end titles and put the actual end titles at the end. Seems to work so much better to me.

Would you actually mind if you didn't know the track titles and just have the music play out without you knowing where it comes in the film?
  8. Erik Woods wrote

I would be Ok with that but the opening and closing tracks are snipped out of the end credit cue. There is no difference in performance or orchestration. This is where repetition hurts Williams' presentation of this score. We hear the main Jurassic Park theme on track two, get a playing of the secondary theme in track 4 (the main theme is heard again in that cue as well) and then have to hear them again in track 7.

-Erik-

I know the final track is just the second half of the end credits but isn't track 2 a concert arrangement?