• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    DreamTheater wrote
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've become so used to Jurassic Park's album sequencing I don't have a problem with it. As far as completely out of order goes, this certainly doesn't make for a bad listen, not for me it at least.

It's one of the few "produced" (as opposed to indiscriminately presented in film order) albums which I just don't think works at all. Having the end titles in the middle just ruins it for me. I don't mind the main theme presented as it is in track two - I just ditch what is called the end titles and put the actual end titles at the end. Seems to work so much better to me.

Would you actually mind if you didn't know the track titles and just have the music play out without you knowing where it comes in the film?

Yes. It just makes no musical sense to me to do it the way it's done.
  1. Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I've become so used to Jurassic Park's album sequencing I don't have a problem with it. As far as completely out of order goes, this certainly doesn't make for a bad listen, not for me it at least.

It's one of the few "produced" (as opposed to indiscriminately presented in film order) albums which I just don't think works at all. Having the end titles in the middle just ruins it for me. I don't mind the main theme presented as it is in track two - I just ditch what is called the end titles and put the actual end titles at the end. Seems to work so much better to me.

I've never had a problem with the album sequencing, maybe I'm just too used to it having listened to it so many times in the last 17 and a half years, but I think I'll give it a listen in your suggested order and see how I find it.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Jurassic Park - John Williams

One of the greatest scores of all time presented on a terribly produced album. What in the living hell are the end credits doing in the middle of this album with the two main themes bookending the album. Augh! The repetition of those themes almost kills the album.

Anywho, a little rejigging of the tracks in iTunes and now everything is as it should be! Great, GREAT, GREAT music!

-Erik-

My problem isn't the repetition. My problem is the fact that two dark pieces have the theme between them. Who on Earth put a romatntic theme in between horror cues?

Can you say "worst album of the best score" ever?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Bilitis - Francis Lai

My first Francis Lai score...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DRACULA - Wojciech Kilar

punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Thor wrote
    Actually, I think that's what MAKES the album....one of its very best parts. Like a symphony, the main thematic material is placed in the beginning, middle and end. Just perfect!

That's a bit purple prose-like for me. wink Most symphonies are far more sparing in their repetition of themes in similar arrangements than that album.
    JP - like a lot of John Williams albums - could do with a bit of editing for me. (I'd go for shorter on many of them.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

One of the greatest scores of all time presented on a terribly produced album. What in the living hell are the end credits doing in the middle of this album with the two main themes bookending the album. Augh! The repetition of those themes almost kills the album.

Anywho, a little rejigging of the tracks in iTunes and now everything is as it should be! Great, GREAT, GREAT music!

-Erik-

My problem isn't the repetition. My problem is the fact that two dark pieces have the theme between them. Who on Earth put a romatntic theme in between horror cues?

Oh man, this is wild! I've often gone on record - and still do - to say the complete opposite, i.e. this is one of the BEST album productions of all time, if not THE best.

Then again, I'm pretty used to being in a minority on certain issues. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    Actually, I think that's what MAKES the album....one of its very best parts. Like a symphony, the main thematic material is placed in the beginning, middle and end. Just perfect!

That's a bit purple prose-like for me. wink Most symphonies are far more sparing in their repetition of themes in similar arrangements than that album.
    JP - like a lot of John Williams albums - could do with a bit of editing for me. (I'd go for shorter on many of them.)

I just don't see all this unnecessary repetition that most of you apparently do. The theme pops up at just the right moments throughout, inbetween tracks of various moods and sentiments. It's a comforting "home" binding the whole thing together.
    I am extremely serious.
    The Last Legion - Patrick Doyle

Repetitive bombast (bombast to the hilt)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

I just don't see all this unnecessary repetition that most of you apparently do. The theme pops up at just the right moments throughout, inbetween tracks of various moods and sentiments. It's a comforting "home" binding the whole thing together.

You hear it through rose tinted nostalgic headphones wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    Coraline - Bruno Coulais

A lesser Elfman-styled effort, which is disappointing considering all the high praise on this score at the time of its release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Coraline is one of my all-time favorite scores, but I understand it's an acquired taste...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I too think the album representation of Jurassic Park could be much better. The T-Rex jeep chase cue is a noteworthy missing highlight too, IMO.
  4. Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Oh man, this is wild! I've often gone on record - and still do - to say the complete opposite, i.e. this is one of the BEST album productions of all time, if not THE best.

Then again, I'm pretty used to being in a minority on certain issues. smile

On this issue I have to back you up dude. wave

From my POV there's nothing wrong the JP album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. Two tracks from Silva's THE DEFINITIVE HORROR MUSIC COLLECTION

HELLRAISER suite
    HELLRAISER II suite

BLOODY FANTASTIC !!!!! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011 edited
    NP: SOLARIS (Cliff Martinez)

A superb, moody synth score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011 edited
    How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

One of the best scores of 2010.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    KevinSmith wrote
    How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

One of the best scores of 2010.

Nonsense.

The best score of 2010. wink

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. KevinSmith wrote

at least well organized and highly enjoyable bombast smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

at least well organized and highly enjoyable bombast smile

It's above average, featuring some good opening and closing cues, but overall I prefer his sound from the 90s.
  8. NP: Skyline (Matthew Margeson)

Typical, entertaining if repetitive bombast, some tracks are quite enjoyable but it's overall too much of the same ordeal

I expected however something far worse and so it's still decent overall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    On this issue I have to back you up dude. wave

From my POV there's nothing wrong the JP album.

You rule! punk
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Eragon - Patrick Doyle

cheesy
  9. Cristian wrote
    NP: Eragon - Patrick Doyle

cheesy

very good choice
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : RED SONJA - Ennio Morricone

One of the top 5 releases of 2010.
  10. Timmer wrote
    NP : RED SONJA - Ennio Morricone

One of the top 5 releases of 2010.

how's the sound on this puppy? I've yet to check it out but I liked the original release
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have nothing to compare it with, my old copy was a CDR that someone made me many years ago.
  11. Timmer wrote
    I have nothing to compare it with, my old copy was a CDR that someone made me many years ago.

but this new release, is the sound good by your standards?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It sounds better than my CDR. I'd say the sound is good.