• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Yes!

I think The Matrix scores are just sensational. I'm pretty sure I did put them (collectively) near the top of my top ten when I did my favourite scores of the 2000s piece a year or so ago.

I somehow lost my The Matrix expanded (from Varese). I don't know who I lend it to or where I put it. Can someone please clarify this for me?
    Kazoo
  1. Bad Boys - Mark Mancina

Not the greatest release (due to its C & C treatment), but an enjoyable effort. I prefer Speed 2 to this with more substance to the score and no short pointless cues.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote
    Yes!

I think The Matrix scores are just sensational. I'm pretty sure I did put them (collectively) near the top of my top ten when I did my favourite scores of the 2000s piece a year or so ago.

I somehow lost my The Matrix expanded (from Varese). I don't know who I lend it to or where I put it. Can someone please clarify this for me?

You didn't lend it to me, so I can be crossed off the list.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011
    The Lion in Winter - John Barry

Gorgeousness.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Lion in Winter - John Barry

Gorgeousness.

Indeed! In my top 10 film scores ever.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: The Golden Compass (Desplat)

Although you can hear a bit of the disjointed story underneath the music, it is nonetheless a grand musical story. I will just edge out on that limb and call it -- next to Prisoner of Azkaban and Return of the King -- the fantasy score of the 00s.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Yeah, it's a cool score. Not my favorite from Desplat though...I think period dramas are more his strength.
  4. NP: Sleepers - John Williams

A total suprise this unconventional Williams score. Especially of his use of synths.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Golden Compass (Desplat)

Although you can hear a bit of the disjointed story underneath the music, it is nonetheless a grand musical story. I will just edge out on that limb and call it -- next to Prisoner of Azkaban and Return of the King -- the fantasy score of the 00s.

Yes, those would be my top three.

The Homecoming - Jezza G

Utterly delightful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MULLHOLLAND FALLS - Dave Grusin

Very much in the style of Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown, this score is really good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2011 edited
    Medal of Honor (Complete - 2 CD) - Michael Giacchino

A pure scoregasm for me ! biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

Brilliant!

One of those acquired tastes, but it tastes very good to me... A strange score sometimes for a sci-fi thriller in space, but one I've gotten to appreciate over the years.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK - JOHN WILLIAMS

Without a doubt these will be my 2 hours best spent today, and most likely of the whole upcoming week. punk

Film music of this kind is pretty much non-existent these days. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. NP: Love In The Dunes - Public Enemies (Elliot Goldenthal)

Nice piano, synths and strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THAKSHAK (A. R. Rahman)

New acquaintance for me. Listening to it on Spotify. I like what I hear...no sign of vocoders yet!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Source Code - Chris Bacon

Seemed OK. Bit of Elfman, but of Powell. Slick. Kind of passed me by a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TERENCE BLANCHARD - 25th hour

Film music rarely gets better than this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A Girl Named Sooner - Jezza G

Brilliant Americana, one of his loveliest themes. Half an hour of bliss for me.
  7. I prefer the paired "Flim Flam Man" myself.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    I prefer the paired "Flim Flam Man" myself.

Love that too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Come Un Delfino - Ennio Morricone

It's like seeing an old friend again, hearing new Morricone music. Much of it ravishing and romantic. Not a masterpiece, but very solid and entertaining, barring a couple of bits of interminable suspense music (but if they weren't there, I'd think something was seriously wrong).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Want to hear that!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THUNDERBIRDS - Barry Gray

The original, accept no substitute.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    TERENCE BLANCHARD - 25th hour

Film music rarely gets better than this.

I know. The final cue is amazing though the main theme is very overused.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MANGAL PANDEY - THE RISING (A. R. Rahman)

Another epic Rahman Bollywood score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sleepers - John Williams

When I first heard this, I was young and therefore stupid, and couldn't believe I had bought a CD by John Williams and it didn't sound like ET or Indiana Jones. Now I think it's one of his finest albums.
  9. I remember that review...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

First listen. Not sure what the general consensus is on this one (I know Erik loves it) but aside from the cool main titles this is a complete bore. Each cue seems to be constructed around slow string chords and woodwinds playing the same three notes over and over again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I remember that review...

I was hoping nobody would.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Anthony wrote
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

First listen. Not sure what the general consensus is on this one (I know Erik loves it) but aside from the cool main titles this is a complete bore. Each cue seems to be constructed around slow string chords and woodwinds playing the same three notes over and over again.

You are going to get some people mad! shocked
    Kazoo