• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Sleepers - John Williams

When I first heard this, I was young and therefore stupid, and couldn't believe I had bought a CD by John Williams and it didn't sound like ET or Indiana Jones. Now I think it's one of his finest albums.

Lol. I've watched the movie yesterday. It's nice to hear an unconventional Williams score.
  2. The football match is a pretty good cue with Goldsmith-like electronics, from memory.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011
    The second half of Signs contains some of the most moving, haunting music I've ever heard. Plus the action / suspence cues are amazing old-school fun. One of JNH's best.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011 edited
    Anthony wrote
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

First listen. Not sure what the general consensus is on this one (I know Erik loves it) but aside from the cool main titles this is a complete bore. Each cue seems to be constructed around slow string chords and woodwinds playing the same three notes over and over again.

Although I don't think this is as great as some people think I still think it's a damn fine score and I'm happy I bought it, I certainly don't think it's "a complete bore", far from it, when Erik arrives you'd better batton down the hatches dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

First listen. Not sure what the general consensus is on this one (I know Erik loves it) but aside from the cool main titles this is a complete bore. Each cue seems to be constructed around slow string chords and woodwinds playing the same three notes over and over again.

You're on to something there... have a read

IMO, it's the best thing he's ever written!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    The football match is a pretty good cue with Goldsmith-like electronics, from memory.

And the drums are completely dialed out in the film! I think it's a cue that has more dramatic impact WITHOUT the drums.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Warlock: The Armageddon - Mark McKenzie

Mark basically did the equivalent of what James Horner did with Battle Beyond the Stars, it sounds alot better than what it cost to write/produce the score.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  3. I can't remember hearing anyone ever talk about this score. I love McKenzie, but can't really imagine what he would write for such a film. What's it like? Worth getting?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    KevinSmith wrote
    Warlock: The Armageddon - Mark McKenzie

Mark basically did the equivalent of what James Horner did with Battle Beyond the Stars, it sounds alot better than what it cost to write/produce the score.

Is this film about Charlie Sheen?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Anthony wrote

I am one of those film music fans who think this score is a masterpiece. Erik explained better why it's a masterpiece. I remember when I first heard The Hand of Fate Pt. I I had goosebumbs, I didn't know music can have this power! What is your opinion on this cue? I think it's one the best piece of music ever written. JNH nailed that scene in the movie, it's a perfect combination between music and image. Watch this video about scoring Signs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdRw5b2I8U, they show you the "hand of fate" scene without music and then with music. It makes all the diference! Film music at it's best!

Just dont' give up after one listen, give the score another chance.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    christopher wrote
    I can't remember hearing anyone ever talk about this score. I love McKenzie, but can't really imagine what he would write for such a film. What's it like? Worth getting?

Imagine a Goldsmith horror score on a budget, but almost as good in score quality. The highlights are the heroic and love themes,

Interview about doing Warlock (down the page):
    http://www.markmckenzie.org/mm_interview_warlock.html
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I am one of the few people in the world who's not so keen on the JNH/Shyamalan collaborations. Too much suspense for my taste.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Few people indeed. 'Cause most people actually have taste wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    But Thor isn't saying he doesn't like it. Just not keen on it, is that so wrong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am teasing him wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The wink emoticon wasn't big enough to see, D. wink tongue

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It happens when I'm not wearing my glasses shame
  4. Cristian wrote
    Anthony wrote

I am one of those film music fans who think this score is a masterpiece. Erik explained better why it's a masterpiece. I remember when I first heard The Hand of Fate Pt. I I had goosebumbs, I didn't know music can have this power! What is your opinion on this cue? I think it's one the best piece of music ever written. JNH nailed that scene in the movie, it's a perfect combination between music and image. Watch this video about scoring Signs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDdRw5b2I8U, they show you the "hand of fate" scene without music and then with music. It makes all the diference! Film music at it's best!

Just dont' give up after one listen, give the score another chance.

I agree, Signs is not a score that will grab you on first listen. I may not flat out love it like some others do, but I like it a lot, because it creates a mood that is so perfect for the film, and does its best as a standalone listen too, the score is all about mood and creating uneasy tension with a very lowkey approach, but one that works its way up until the final moments when JNH goes all out in the stunning climax, which in itself is worth the price of the CD.

By all means, give it some more listens Anthony, it's fresh and original and given the mood you're in while listening, it might just scare the bejesus out of you. Plus I'd take it over many things the man has done the past years.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am teasing him wink

Ooooh....you're such a big tease, D! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, Greeks do that.... wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Speaketh he of great experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011 edited
    You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

now THERE is a series I'd love to see again
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann - Charles Gerhardt

Now this is music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    One of the finest albums of the series!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    What I love about it is that it goes a long way away from what you'd expect to find on a Herrmann "classic film scores" album - there's no Hitchcock stuff, no Harryhausen stuff - yet it's still so brilliant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Indeed. I mentioned the exact same thing in the Tiomkin thread over the weekend.

-Erik-
  5. Southall wrote
    Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann - Charles Gerhardt

Now this is music.

I'm particularly looking forward to hearing the tracks from Beneath The 12-Mile Reef. I really like this score but have not heard any re-recordings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : MoH Airborne - Michael Giacchino

I bought the game on the PS3 only recently and I'm enjoying it as much as the music
    which I'm playing right now !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  6. christopher wrote
    I can't remember hearing anyone ever talk about this score. I love McKenzie, but can't really imagine what he would write for such a film. What's it like? Worth getting?

listen and decide for yourself, god I love that ending with the trumpets punk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE2BWOmFL1Q, or read my review: http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/warlo … rmageddon/
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh