• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Your Highness (Steve Jablonsky)

What began quite fun (considering it doesn't take itself seriously whatsoever) quickly slided down to the depths of hell
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Your Highness (Steve Jablonsky)

What began quite fun (considering it doesn't take itself seriously whatsoever) quickly slided down to the depths of hell

Horrific, isn't it?
  2. Southall wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Your Highness (Steve Jablonsky)

Horrific, isn't it?

I thought you were wrong when I heard the first couple of cues, but after that hell no
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Winnie the Pooh - Henry Jackman

Utterly, utterly charming. Has the feel of Disney scores of the 60s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Winnie the Pooh - Henry Jackman

Utterly, utterly charming. Has the feel of Disney scores of the 60s.

Yeap, glad to see you agree smile I was very taken with his work to Guiliver's Travels. He's a very promising man for sure.

Here's what i wrote elsewhere:

Christodoulides wrote:
    HENRY JACKMAN - winnie the pooh

Mickey mousing with a couple of nice themes, but small-scale with a small orchestra, almost chamber musical in sound at places; lots of woodwinds, very clever arrangements, very charming and old-fashioned, sound-wise and music-wise reminded me of the older Disney / cartoon eras. Beginning with last year's Guiliver's Travels, i am more and more impressed with this man's work. If you're going to listen to just one cue, make it the wonderful * Woods And Words / Backson Tracks or the thunderous Hundred Acre Spy Game.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just wish they'd leave Winnie the f*ck alone. That psychopathic Disney version was blithering insult.

...but obviously I haven't heard Jackman's score yet, and am having a purely instinctive, visceral reaction.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Who is Winnie the F*ck?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christopher Throbbing's friend.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A vietnamese lottery prize.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    A vietnamese lottery prize.

biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    I just wish they'd leave Winnie the f*ck alone. That psychopathic Disney version was blithering insult.

Why? Kids love Winnie... including mine. So leave the kids stuff to the kids. Eeyore rulez!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Eeyore is the finest character in children's literature!
  4. Here here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Operative term: literature.

The film version saw us with a bear that, rather than being Of Little Brain, seemed positively lobotomised.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Which film version? The 60s one? Seriously? Seemed to be a perfectly acceptable adaptation to me (though it has been, I admit, some time since I saw it - 25 years probably).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A.A. Milne wrote
    When Rabbit said, "Honey or condensed milk with your bread?" he was so excited that he said, "Both," and then, so as not to seem greedy, he added, "But don't bother about the bread, please."
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

Why? Kids love Winnie... including mine. So leave the kids stuff to the kids. Eeyore rulez!

-Erik-

I don't care much about the toon itself (some nice memories from the classic one during childhood but that's just it) but since we got a nice lovely score i'm all in for it smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jane Eyre - Dario Marianelli

Parts of this are extremely beautiful - but other parts are just so miserable, so depressing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Operative term: literature.

The film version saw us with a bear that, rather than being Of Little Brain, seemed positively lobotomised.

Hmm, a certain forum member (of a Dutch persuasion) rather reminds me of a certain character from children's literature, though I shan't say which one.

By the way, here is another quote:

"Eeyore," said Owl, "Christopher Robin is giving a party."
    "Very interesting," said Eeyore. "I suppose they will be sending me down the odd bits which got trodden on. Kind and thoughtful. Not at all, don't mention it."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited
    NP: L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX (Vangelis)

Next to BLADE RUNNER (original album), probably my favourite Vangelis album, whether soundtrack or studio. And just perfect for my new preference for soothing, melancholic, calm music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

Parts of this are extremely beautiful - but other parts are just so miserable, so depressing.

And as a whole it's rather forgettable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    It is. I was hoping for (and expecting) more. Most of the really positive comments have come from people who have seen the film, something I'm unlikely to do before it's on tv.
  5. I haven't seen it myself, but the score is definitely my sort of thing. (Probably a bit long though.) Actually it's interesting hearing Marianelli's use of a violin virtuoso compared to other recent scores like The Village or Creation. The playing in the latter, for all its strengths, even feels a bit amateur next to what Liebeck does here.

But then again, my best scores of the last 10 years were things like Youth without Youth, The Dancer Upstairs, Birth and such, so I'm probably bit more inclined to go ga-ga for this chamber style classical sound in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

And as a whole it rather forgettable.

-Erik-

punk
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  6. NP: Standard Operating Procedure (Danny Elfman)

His best of late, for me. A nice intersection of a worthwhile film with worthwhile music.
  7. I've been meaning to get that one for quite a while. Sometime soon, maybe.

NP - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I - Desplat

There are a couple of tracks here that I like, but a lot of it is fairly uninteresting.
  8. christopher wrote

There are a couple of tracks here that I like, but a lot of it is fairly uninteresting.

If you've read the book and didn't watched the film yet, you can almost guest in which scenes the score is played. The score's real strength is being faithful to the spirit of the book. Especially because Desplat is a fan. Obliviate, Snape To Malfoy Manor, Sky Battle, At The Burrow, The Exodus, Godric's Hollow Graveyard, The Deathly Hallows, Farewell To Dobby, The Elder Wand. All of them are interesting.
  9. NP: Liliana's Music Box - The Secret in Their Eyes (Jusid/Kauderer)

Nice. It seems like the music box plays Morales's theme (the one in Suspicious Photo, The Bad News and The Call).
  10. NP: Going To Rome - The Rite (Alex Heffes)

Very Angels and Demons-esque, but with a main theme and more orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    yonythemoony wrote
    christopher wrote

If you've read the book and didn't watched the film yet, you can almost guest in which scenes the score is played. The score's real strength is being faithful to the spirit of the book. Especially because Desplat is a fan. Obliviate, Snape To Malfoy Manor, Sky Battle, At The Burrow, The Exodus, Godric's Hollow Graveyard, The Deathly Hallows, Farewell To Dobby, The Elder Wand. All of them are interesting.

Yonythemoony (may I call you Yony?), you are this score's biggest defender. You know this score far better than I. Perhaps more listens would change my mind on some things. After my second listen to it, though, my desire to listen to it again is waning. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it, but given that most of Desplat's scores have bored me, I think it's just my personal taste.

Notice that I did say there are a couple (perhaps 'few' would have been a more accurate word) of tracks that I like. I would put Farewell to Dobby, Sky Battle, Ron Leaves, and Ron's Speech in that category. The other tracks you mentioned are indeed interesting, though The Exodus kind of annoyed me, and it doesn't seem like much happens in The Elder Wand, especially after a long album of mostly nothing happening.

That leaves 17 tracks out of 26 we haven't mentioned. I consider that "a lot" of the album, and I'd say it's fairly uninteresting. Fear not, Yony, I give it only as my opinion! And no one says my opinion is superior to yours. smile

I enjoyed Hooper's scores more than this one. That, by the way, is not an insult, in case you were wondering - just a statement of fact.