• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. christopher wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    christopher wrote

NP - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I - Desplat

There are a couple of tracks here that I like, but a lot of it is fairly uninteresting.

If you've read the book and didn't watched the film yet, you can almost guest in which scenes the score is played. The score's real strength is being faithful to the spirit of the book. Especially because Desplat is a fan. Obliviate, Snape To Malfoy Manor, Sky Battle, At The Burrow, The Exodus, Godric's Hollow Graveyard, The Deathly Hallows, Farewell To Dobby, The Elder Wand. All of them are interesting.

Yonythemoony (may I call you Yony?), you are this score's biggest defender. You know this score far better than I. Perhaps more listens would change my mind on some things. After my second listen to it, though, my desire to listen to it again is waning. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for it, but given that most of Desplat's scores have bored me, I think it's just my personal taste.

Notice that I did say there are a couple (perhaps 'few' would have been a more accurate word) of tracks that I like. I would put Farewell to Dobby, Sky Battle, Ron Leaves, and Ron's Speech in that category. The other tracks you mentioned are indeed interesting, though The Exodus kind of annoyed me, and it doesn't seem like much happens in The Elder Wand, especially after a long album of mostly nothing happening.

That leaves 17 tracks out of 26 we haven't mentioned. I consider that "a lot" of the album, and I'd say it's fairly uninteresting. Fear not, Yony, I give it only as my opinion! And no one says my opinion is superior to yours. smile

I enjoyed Hooper's scores more than this one. That, by the way, is not an insult, in case you were wondering - just a statement of fact.

I've enjoyed Hooper's scores too. I think it's not the kind of score for all.
  2. NP: Black & White - Malcolm X (Terence Blanchard)

It's so nice to hear chorus in a Blanchard score.
  3. NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (John Williams)

There's a passage in the 'Finale' cue... 4:08-4:50. I like this score a lot, but why was the score not more like this?! That 40 seconds feels so much more involving for me than the more forced theatrics of 'Adventures of Mutt'. It would have better supported the film's broader tone for me to have more music in this jaunty mode.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    I haven't seen it myself, but the score is definitely my sort of thing. (Probably a bit long though.) Actually it's interesting hearing Marianelli's use of a violin virtuoso compared to other recent scores like The Village or Creation. The playing in the latter, for all its strengths, even feels a bit amateur next to what Liebeck does here.

But then again, my best scores of the last 10 years were things like Youth without Youth, The Dancer Upstairs, Birth and such, so I'm probably bit more inclined to go ga-ga for this chamber style classical sound in the first place.

Interesting that they compare with The Village or Creation. The playing in Jane Eyre feels far more subdued, down to earth, esoteric.

The score pays off pretty good with repeated listens and i'd imagine it works wonders in the film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited
    NP: ANTARCTICA (Vangelis)

Another great Vangelis score for the 1983 Japanese film NANKYOKU MONOGATARI. I'd like to see it one day, sounds very interesting from what I know of the premise.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. DEEP BLUE - GEORGE FENTON

One of the best soundtrack releases of the last decade. Never before have I heard a score to a nature documentary that is as stunning and gorgeous as this one. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    DEEP BLUE - GEORGE FENTON

One of the best soundtrack releases of the last decade. Never before have I heard a score to a nature documentary that is as stunning and gorgeous as this one. punk

Yes, it's great! Fenton at his best.

I would also recommend the previously-mentioned L'APOCALYPSE DES ANIMAUX as far as brilliant nature documentaries go. But a very different style, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote

There's a lot of fantastic nature scores that are right up there with Fenton's work, some (IMO) are even better but not a one of them is released or available in any form except for what I have recorded off of TV on VHS tapes, BBC docs about life in the Grand Canyon, Andes, Himalaya etc etc and an absolute favourite about sea turtles narrated by David Attenborough has one of the most exquisite TV scores I've ever heard, this is a true "holy grail" for me as it's likely never to see the light of day slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (John Williams)

There's a passage in the 'Finale' cue... 4:08-4:50. I like this score a lot, but why was the score not more like this?! That 40 seconds feels so much more involving for me than the more forced theatrics of 'Adventures of Mutt'. It would have better supported the film's broader tone for me to have more music in this jaunty mode.

Erik, Southall... I require your opinion. beer
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

There's a lot of fantastic nature scores that are right up there with Fenton's work, some (IMO) are even better but not a one of them is released or available in any form except for what I have recorded off of TV on VHS tapes, BBC docs about life in the Grand Canyon, Andes, Himalaya etc etc and an absolute favourite about sea turtles narrated by David Attenborough has one of the most exquisite TV scores I've ever heard, this is a true "holy grail" for me as it's likely never to see the light of day slant

The BBC Natural History department just seems to get everything right. Music included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: Jane Eyre - Dario Marianelli

Best score of the year so far!
  6. Looking forward to this soon. I doubled this up with something else from SAE (though I can't remember what at the moment).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

While it's solid music it still sounds far too goofy... a lot like the rest of the score and the film. However, that Russian fanfare is outstanding! Yes, I know, even in Raiders we had some slapstick and unconventional music (The Basket Chase) but it fit unlike, for example, the TERRIBLE sandpit sequence and music. suicide

I just find that Last Crusade and Crystal Skull were far too campy (this isn't a knock at Last Crusade which is a billion time better than Crystal Skull thanks to Ford and Connery) but Skull reminded me of some of the Roger Moore's Bond films where it seems like they were poking fun at themselves. I hate that!

While there was humour in the Raiders and Temple I find that it was better timed and better written. But when the action started it got serious and stayed that way (with a couple of wise cracks) unlike the stupid dialogue written for Indy and Mac during the Jungle Chase (which is hands down one of the most boring action sequences in any Indy film.)

I like that Williams wrote some fantastic new themes and "Temple Ruins And The Secret Revealed" and "The Departure" are superb tracks but Mutt's music is just plain wrong (so is the character) and the rest of the score is nondescript, ordinary fare. That's not the way I like my Indy music.

soapbox

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cristian wrote

You mean The Great Miracle. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I just assumed you were joking so raised a smile and let it pass!

Actually - Erik will hate this and I strongly suggest he averts his eyes now and DOES NOT READ the rest of this post - I think The Adventures of Mutt is where Williams comes closest to his "classic" sound in this score. Nobody else has ever written film music like it, but it reminds me of The Basket Game, The Asteroid Field, that sort of thing, that nobody else really has ever done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

The BBC Natural History department just seems to get everything right. Music included.

They do. I think (and I am kind of being seriously) it is the greatest thing the UK has going for it at the moment and by itself justifies the BBC licence fee.

In terms of the non-Fenton music, most of it is great. My favourite from recent years is Edmund Butt's Yellowstone, as I have mentioned numerous times. It's certainly on a par with Planet Earth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Actually - Erik will hate this and I strongly suggest he averts his eyes now and DOES NOT READ the rest of this post - I think The Adventures of Mutt is where Williams comes closest to his "classic" sound in this score. Nobody else has ever written film music like it, but it reminds me of The Basket Game, The Asteroid Field, that sort of thing, that nobody else really has ever done.

The music written is fine. I actually like it as a stand alone peice of music but it has absolutely NO dramatic weight.

-Erik-
  7. Cristian wrote

I thought it was boring, apart from several noteworthy moments, it left me cold
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Anthony wrote
    NP: Signs - James Newton Howard

First listen. Not sure what the general consensus is on this one (I know Erik loves it) but aside from the cool main titles this is a complete bore. Each cue seems to be constructed around slow string chords and woodwinds playing the same three notes over and over again.

Try removing the ear plugs, and headphones first. Then raise the volume from zero.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Night At the Museum: Battle Of The Smithsonian (game) - Chris Tilton

shocked

This knocks the pants off what Silvestri wrote for either of the films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thor wrote
    NP: ANTARCTICA (Vangelis)

Another great Vangelis score for the 1983 Japanese film NANKYOKU MONOGATARI. I'd like to see it one day, sounds very interesting from what I know of the premise.

I have the film on DVD and it's a wonderful , emotional but sometimes brutal film .
    If I remember correctly some of the dogs used in the film really died on pellicule ...
    A must watch in my book and a fantastic score to booth , but if you like dogs it's an emotional
    rollercoaster ride . Btw , Disney remade the film a few years back and it's called Eight Below .
    Much softer approach of course but the main story is the same ... Watch the original first ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'd like to. But is it available on DVD with English subs?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talking of EIGHT BELOW, what is Mark Isham's score like?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Timmer wrote

does nobody read my reviews? wink

http://www.maintitles.net/reviews/eight-below/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Excellent. A great thematic adventure score with a heart. One of my favorite scores of 2006.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you Thomas beer

Yes, I do read your reviews, just like I read James's reviews and Tom's reviews etc etc, it's just that I don't read ALL of the reviews, but yeah, a little "search" wouldn't have harmed me shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Excellent. A great thematic adventure score with a heart. One of my favorite scores of 2006.

-Erik-

...I do so like the simple sentence reviews too! wink
  10. Timmer wrote
    Thank you Thomas beer

Yes, I do read your reviews, just like I read James's reviews and Tom's reviews etc etc, it's just that I don't read ALL of the reviews, but yeah, a little "search" wouldn't have harmed me shame

no sweat wink

perhaps you were just under the assumption I don't review everything wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Thor wrote
    I'd like to. But is it available on DVD with English subs?

Yep , it's available on DVD with English subs ...
    Mine came from Ebay ...
    If you don't find it , you can always pm me and I'll help you out ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote

There's also EL GRAN MILAGRO
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.