• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011
    Southall wrote
    XYZ - Composer

I'm not saying! All I will say is that it is MAGNIFICENT, one of the top five film music albums ever released; and the review will appear at www.movie-wave.net at 12 noon tomorrow if you're in the United Kingdom (and, frankly, if you're not then you should reset your clocks to our time zone anyway since it would make life so much more convenient for everyone).

Thor?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    How The West Was Won - Alfred Newman

The main theme is magnificent!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011
    Have you reviewed Spartacus yet, James?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Yeah, but some of the songs are truly grating (like "Waiting for the Hoedown"). I could never get through the 2CD set in one setting.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Have you reviewed Spartacus yet, James?

-Erik-

No... I need to take a week or two and really spend some time on that one, listening to it and nothing else. Just haven't quite had the time yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Yeah, but some of the songs are truly grating (like "Waiting for the Hoedown"). I could never get through the 2CD set in one setting.

I don't disagree. I rarely listen to anything other than the main title, actually. I'd love to have a 30-40 minute album of highlights.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree, the songs are not my thing at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I was hoping for something along the lines of Duran Duran.

-Erik-

Great song! Speaking of the boys... they're back with a new album, including this tune and I can't stop listening to it. They still seem stuck in 80s mode, and I don't mind that one bit. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Most excellent news. I loved Duran Duran back when they were the shit and I still love listening to them now!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Southall wrote
    Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann - Charles Gerhardt

Now this is music.

"The Death Hunt" is one of the best action pieces I've ever heard. So much excitement and drama in a piece only two and a half minutes long...
  3. STARDUST - ILAN ESHKERI

A fine album. The music has that whimsical, magical and larger than life feeling to it and it accompanies the film very well. One of those rare scores that grabbed my attention in the film. Not too many do that to me anymore. Nevertheless it's a sound that I love and thanks to the makers of the film to stick with that sound, unlike the current trend of many Hollywood execs wanting a much less lyrical soundtrack.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann - Charles Gerhardt

Now this is music.

"The Death Hunt" is one of the best action pieces I've ever heard. So much excitement and drama in a piece only two and a half minutes long...

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. THE WIND AND THE LION - JERRY GOLDSMITH

First listen of the expanded release. While not a huge fan of Jerry's older style, this has an impressive theme which is used abundantly throughout and to great effect. The score sounds huge and bombastic, which was the norm back in the day. Sound quality is a lot better than what I remember of the original release. But I'll happily give this one to my brother since he wants it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited
    NP: SNAPSHOTS 1.2 (Jan Hammer)

Some excellent tracks from his film and tv days (mostly tv), a follow-up to the classic SNAPSHOTS albums from the 80's-something. Funky, cool, delicious. The refrain from "Eurocops" sounds like the refrain from "Heaven is a Place on Earth"! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  5. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three Shire

So good. Great film too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    The Taking of Pelham One Two Three Shire

So good. Great film too.

Fantastic film, fantastic score! I haven't seen the remake and don't intend to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Don't.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh dear! From experience eh?
  6. NP: The End is only the Beginning - 2012 (Kloser/Wander)

Beautiful. I like how Kloser always kept the best for the end, especially the main theme (I love that in the DVD's audio commentary he talks about the music and the theme).
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    STARDUST - ILAN ESHKERI

A fine album. The music has that whimsical, magical and larger than life feeling to it and it accompanies the film very well. One of those rare scores that grabbed my attention in the film. Not too many do that to me anymore. Nevertheless it's a sound that I love and thanks to the makers of the film to stick with that sound, unlike the current trend of many Hollywood execs wanting a much less lyrical soundtrack.

indeed, pompous orchestral old fashioned score, I love it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    THE WIND AND THE LION - JERRY GOLDSMITH

First listen of the expanded release. While not a huge fan of Jerry's older style, this has an impressive theme which is used abundantly throughout and to great effect. The score sounds huge and bombastic, which was the norm back in the day. Sound quality is a lot better than what I remember of the original release. But I'll happily give this one to my brother since he wants it.

for me it is as good as The Blue Max, and that's his older style too smile Good to hear that the sound quality is much better, it will make my listen all the merrier
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    THE WIND AND THE LION is an EXCELLENT score! punk

NP : LAST OF THE DOGMEN - David Arnold

I didn't like this originally but it's really grown on me over the years, it's a damn fine score IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Battle: Los Angeles - Brian Tyler

If they gave awards based on how loud things are, this one would sweep the board!
  9. Timmer wrote

I didn't like this originally but it's really grown on me over the years, it's a damn fine score IMO.

Helluva nod to the Barry too... What a shame David Arnold scores don't sound like this anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    Timmer wrote

I wonder if this is still available anywhere. I listened to it once (15 years ago) and thought it was a second-rate Barry knock-off but I suspect I would like it a lot more now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    I wonder if this is still available anywhere. I listened to it once (15 years ago) and thought it was a second-rate Barry knock-off but I suspect I would like it a lot more now.

It's not by Barry, but it's still first-rate Barry. Nothing second-rate about it.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yeah, give it another go James, I think it's worth it.
  10. This morning...

Legend of Butch and Sundance (Poledouris)
    Quigley Down Under (Poledouris)
    Jane Eyre (Marianelli)

Damn, Poledouris's westerns pull on the emotions so beautifully. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Battle: Los Angeles - Brian Tyler

If they gave awards based on how loud things are, this one would sweep the board!

Indeed smile Might be too much for more people, especially to play at once; but it's very good in the movie and the main theme is driving and bold, i love it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.