• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011
    NP: GREEN CARD (Hans Zimmer)

Gorgeous score; Zimmer at his best - ethnic stylings, melancholy, soft power anthems.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Watching Snooker with the sound off...

NP : SOMMERSBY - Danny Elfman

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I'm walking down memory lane at the moment listening to Geoff Love and his orchestra's "Big Terror Movie Themes", featuring the likes of Jaws, Psycho, Earthquake and Death Wish. This album was a great favourite of mine when it came out in the mid-70s.

This album is twinned with "Themes For Super Heroes", an album I haven't heard before. It is more TV oriented and features arrangements of titles such as The Bionic Woman, Spiderman, Wonder Woman (great to now have an instrumental version of this), Return of The Saint and The Six Million Dollar Man.

A childhood being relived!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Come un delfino (Morricone)

biggrin First listen. biggrin

Peter biggrin
  2. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm walking down memory lane at the moment listening to Geoff Love and his orchestra's "Big Terror Movie Themes", featuring the likes of Jaws, Psycho, Earthquake and Death Wish. This album was a great favourite of mine when it came out in the mid-70s.

This album is twinned with "Themes For Super Heroes", an album I haven't heard before. It is more TV oriented and features arrangements of titles such as The Bionic Woman, Spiderman, Wonder Woman (great to now have an instrumental version of this), Return of The Saint and The Six Million Dollar Man.

A link to CD in question:

www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDSML8476
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    plindboe wrote

Peter biggrin

Hope you like it!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'm walking down memory lane at the moment listening to Geoff Love and his orchestra's "Big Terror Movie Themes", featuring the likes of Jaws, Psycho, Earthquake and Death Wish. This album was a great favourite of mine when it came out in the mid-70s.

A link to CD in question:

www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=CDSML8476

I'll be getting it at some point.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

This score has been growing on me lately. Newton Howard really knows how to write percussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011
    Thor wrote
    NP: GREEN CARD (Hans Zimmer)

Gorgeous score; Zimmer at his best - ethnic stylings, melancholy, soft power anthems.

Sounds like music for TV commercials to me :P

Old Zimmer samples..
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA FETE SAUVAGE (Vangelis)

Some weird sonorities in this ol' wildlife documentary score. Some exotic percussion and stuff, but really out there. Mostly acoustic, not too many synths.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote
    plindboe wrote

Peter biggrin

Hope you like it!

Thanks. smile

It's a good score, and especially the first track is a real gem. I pretty much agree with James' review that the first 4 tracks are the best. Unoriginal score, but considering his age I can appreciate that he isn't that innovative anymore, and I do love the sound that his music has. He's more like Horner these days in that he often falls back to his older tricks. As someone who likes those tricks I love it of course. The suspense music is surprisingly listenable, though a bit repetitive here and there.

My rating is pretty much like James' ***½. Though it might turn into a **** with more listens.

Peter smile
  4. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Last Airbender - James Newton Howard

This score has been growing on me lately. Newton Howard really knows how to write percussion.

Listening to it 12 hours after your listen.

It's indeed a very good score but I could've gone with more themes and less ambience.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, it's a decent listen, nothing offensive about it but at the same time it doesn't leave me with the 'I must play this again' feeling, it's very uninspired.
  5. Yeah okay, it's not something even I'll listen to again and again... but it's cool enough for once in a while.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Well, it's a decent listen, nothing offensive about it but at the same time it doesn't leave me with the 'I must play this again' feeling, it's very uninspired.

it does leave an enormous impression in the movie, which by the way held a few amazing cues of the album.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Battle: Los Angeles - Brian Tyler

If they gave awards based on how loud things are, this one would sweep the board!

One of the worst scores of the year.

-Erik-

Thanks for the tip guys. I really need good suggestions of scores that are a must from the last 6 months.

NP la Ligne Droite Patrick Doyle

Typical Doyle dramatic stuff with a lot of energetic piano crescendos. I like his style but a bit repetitive. Editing needed here.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Hi everyone... I forgot how to use the editing button! One of my favorite things smile
  7. Tintin wrote

NP la Ligne Droite Patrick Doyle

Typical Doyle dramatic stuff with a lot of energetic piano crescendos. I like his style but a bit repetitive. Editing needed here.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this view.

NP: Lonesome Dove (Poledouris)

'Farewell Ladies' is one of my favourite cues of all time, or the first 4 minutes at least. Sublime melodrama scoring.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    Agnes of God - Georges

Stunning, really. One of my favourites.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Excellent score of course. I really like the suites presented in the compilation album.
  8. NP: Lost Horizon - Dimitri Tiomkin

My first listen to this score, and it's the recent re-release of the Charles Gerhardt recording. For convenience, I've split up the long suite into the 6 separate tracks.

A bargain purchase at 89p for the 23-minute suite!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Agnes of God - Georges

Stunning, really. One of my favourites.

A sublime score, in my all time top 50.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Hi everyone... I forgot how to use the editing button! One of my favorite things smile

You don't visit here enough Martin, good to see you cool beer
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Deep End of the Ocean - Elmer Bernstein

It's a nice nostalgic score that recalls material that Elmer wrote much earlier in his career. While this gets compared to something like Far From Heaven, I prefer this to Far From Heaven, because of its commitment to the main theme (which is lovely).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    The Deep End of the Ocean - Elmer Bernstein

It's a nice nostalgic score that recalls material that Elmer wrote much earlier in his career. While this gets compared to something like Far From Heaven, I prefer this to Far From Heaven, because of its commitment to the main theme (which is lovely).

I don't prefer it to Far From Heaven, but I agree about the lovely theme (in fact, isn't it very similar to Far From Heaven's?) - a score that deserves to be heard by more people than I think it has been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    ETERNAL ECHOES - JOHN BARRY

First listen. Seekers of action should steer clear. This is the man in his sweeping romantic mode. Sometimes such a soothing listen is what I need the most before going to work. I still prefer the lushness of 'The Beyondness of Things' but this is good too, just no surprises whatsoever musically.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Apt Pupil - John Ottman

Lovely dramatic score with definite Ottman tendencies. It's like a darker/more menacing/horror-ish 'The Usual Suspects' with a memorable main theme. The album is not too long either at a well rounded 45 minutes.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  9. NP: A Man in Love (Georges Delerue)

Delerue at his finest. One of my favourite scores, and almost certainly my favourite Delerue score to play as an album. 'Death of Pavese' is amazing - he touches something very real there for me.

People talk about Portman and Desplat each taking up aspects of Delerue. I think Portman gets the nice melodies (though never quite THAT nice), and Desplat touches the earlier Delerue, but neither of them have really hit the nerve that this score touches.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I have some excerpts of that on my 6CD Delerue set. I'll check it out again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    WP: Batman - Danny Elfman

The main theme was stuck in my head since the morning, so I had no option but to oblige. Full of dramatic orchestral glory and thrilling suspense. cool