• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    ^ While I know how Thor will side does anyone else prefer the far superior album presentation over the expanded Batman score that was released by La La Land? Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic that we are now able to hear close to the complete score away from the film but I think Shawn Murphy did a brilliant job with the remix of Tomlinson's recording and the editing of certain cues is seamless. I really have no interest is revisiting the expanded treatment.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    WP: Batman - Danny Elfman

The main theme was stuck in my head since the morning, so I had no option but to oblige. Full of dramatic orchestral glory and thrilling suspense. cool

Never heard of it.... wink

And yes, the original BATMAN album rules (even though it's not a type of music to very often these days).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. The original album is good enough for me. Not much of an Elfmaniac myself so I don't need the expanded one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: La Ligne Droite - Patrick Doyle

Doyle employs a chamber sized orchestra to perform this minimalistic score and while what is written is solid and there are moments of true beauty (Running In The Sand) unfortunately it doesn't offer much variety. While the album is ONLY 40 minutes long I feel like I've been listening to it for hours. This is the sort of music you hear over top of time-lapse photography montages. I can only take about 4-5 minutes or so of that kind of music so 40 minutes of it really gets on my nerves. This is most definitely a case where no doubt the music serves the picture yet, for me at least, is a miss on CD. In saying that I think I need to give this a few more spins at a later date and reserve final judgement until then.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: A Man in Love (Georges Delerue)

Delerue at his finest. One of my favourite scores, and almost certainly my favourite Delerue score to play as an album. 'Death of Pavese' is amazing - he touches something very real there for me.

People talk about Portman and Desplat each taking up aspects of Delerue. I think Portman gets the nice melodies (though never quite THAT nice), and Desplat touches the earlier Delerue, but neither of them have really hit the nerve that this score touches.

Hmm. I don't have this! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    ...and I never really understood the Delerue/Portman comparison. Yes, pretty melodies, but not remotely in the same league and, let's face it, she's a one trick pony when it comes down to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...and talking of Delerue

NP : PLATOON - Georges Delerue

Superb score, I'll be turning this off before Charlie Winner starts narrating over Barber's adagio.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I can't stand Delerue's oh-so-deliberate (and thankfully unused) rip-off of the adagio, so I usually skip that track on my compilations. But I wonder what the rest of the score is like?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I can't stand Delerue's oh-so-deliberate (and thankfully unused) rip-off of the adagio, so I usually skip that track on my compilations. But I wonder what the rest of the score is like?

Of course it was deliberate and I actually think it's a really good piece. It would have fit perfectly in the film.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Excellent! Moody, atmospheric and suspenseful.....you'll hate it. wink

As for the Adagio and Delerue's theme, of course it's "oh so deliberate", it's well known that Stone temped his film with it and required a "soundalike" from Delerue, I prefer Delerue's take, I've stated before that Platoon ruined my enjoyment of Barber's piece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I've stated before that Platoon ruined my enjoyment of Barber's piece.

I must have missed that post. Why again did Platoon ruin Barber's piece? Was it the over use of the said piece in the film?

-Erik-
  2. I had a similar experience with PLATOON and Barber. The over use in the film killed it for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I must have missed that post. Why again did Platoon ruin Barber's piece? Was it the over use of the said piece in the film?

-Erik-

It's that and more, the way it's been used since then Erik, it's use in documentaries, any time there's something poignant on chat shows, comedies etc, it's become a parody and it irks me, it's a piece that used to be a favourite of mine and it's been tainted by over-use and the context it's been used in.
  3. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: A Man in Love (Georges Delerue)

Hmm. I don't have this! shocked

You may, by the more common title Un Homme Amoreaux?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

It's that and more, the way it's been used since then Erik, it's use in documentaries, any time there's something poignant on chat shows, comedies etc, it's become a parody and it irks me, it's a piece that used to be a favourite of mine and it's been tainted by over-use and the context it's been used in.

I liked it's use in THE ELEPHANT MAN, what a shame Oliver Stone wanted it so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jane Eyre - Dario M

I'm making every effort to see in this what others do but I have to say it's becoming a bit of a chore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Yup. It's beautifully written but has no lasting impression.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought the adagio was brilliantly used in PLATOON. Lots of symbolic firepower (especially with the whole religious connotations of the piece that ties to Defoe's Christ-like sacrifice). But I can't stand Delerue's "take" on it, for some reason.

That said, the piece does suffer from the O Fortuna/Ride of the Valkyries syndrome in popular culture otherwise, but that's not a fault of its own.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very true Thor but it doesn't stop it affecting me, My problem, I know. Thank the gods that Vaughan Williams Tallis Fantasia and Lark Ascending have never received the same kind of over-exposure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011
    Salvador - Georges Delerue

I think I slightly prefer this to Platoon, with which it shares an album. Excellent, raw action music and that guitar theme is to die for.
  4. Southall wrote
    Jane Eyre - Dario M

I'm making every effort to see in this what others do but I have to say it's becoming a bit of a chore.

Don't try so hard. Just go listen to every other score out there this year, minus McKenzie's thing, then listen to this. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Jane Eyre - Dario M

Don't try so hard. Just go listen to every other score out there this year, minus McKenzie's thing, then listen to this. wink

I love the beautiful playing and there are moments in the second half which really are exquisite... but I don't really find much of a heart there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I'm glad I'm not affected like that. Many people seem to be negatively affected when a piece is overused in popular culture. Luckily I've never understood this thinking. If a piece is brilliant I enjoy it, end of story.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011 edited
    plindboe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

-Erik-

I'm glad I'm not affected like that. Many people seem to be negatively affected when a piece is overused in popular culture. Luckily I've never understood this thinking. If a piece is brilliant I enjoy it, end of story.

Peter smile

Same here. Heck, I still get loads of pleasure from listening to my recording of Vivaldi's FOUR SEASONS!

BUT....whenever I hear these pieces pop up in any given setting (let's say a commercial), I do tend to roll my eyes again, as in "oh no....not again!".
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wonder how Sting feels about Police hit 'Don't Stand So Close To Me' forever being linked to a brand of anti-deodorant?
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Excellent! Moody, atmospheric and suspenseful.....you'll hate it. wink

As for the Adagio and Delerue's theme, of course it's "oh so deliberate", it's well known that Stone temped his film with it and required a "soundalike" from Delerue, I prefer Delerue's take, I've stated before that Platoon ruined my enjoyment of Barber's piece.

I prefer Desplat's version too. It's much more cathartic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I MUST hear Desplat's PLATOON cool

sorry Kevin, I know you meant to say Delerue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011 edited
    NP: First Knight - Jerry Goldsmith

Well, I take back my earlier negative comments towards the complete score presentation. It must have been years since I listened to the complete score because right now I'm really digging La La Land's presentation. Goldsmith in this epic, thematic, action, romantic mode is tough to beat! And it's so bloody great to hear Lancelot's Theme sprinkled throughout the score! What a colossal mistake it was on Goldsmith's part for not including it on the original release. I highly recommend this album!!!

-Erik-
  6. I'm just about to order two copies. Thomas and I have been waiting 15 years for this one. punk

You can't argue about the fact that the original album was brilliant in every respect, even without Lancelot's theme. But in the case of First Knight, more is definitely better for me. So another holy grail scratched off the list.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The original First Knight album got a lot of plays for sure and at the time I had no idea that Lancelot's Theme was missing. But when I heard that boot years ago I was flabbergasted that Goldsmith didn't want to share that brilliant theme with us.

Anyway, I'm so very happy that this complete presentation is playing so very well. Kudos to La La Land for yet another fine release.

-Erik-