• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    Rudy - Goldsmith

I'm on a Goldsmith kick, so I'm turning to this one. I've listened to it before, but wow -- I'm blown away. The "Tryouts" theme is spectacular, and I can see why a lot of trailers in the mid 1990s-early 2000s used it. Makes me wish it was used now instead of those subpar RC-lite compositions.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Home Movies - Pino Donaggio

Very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a pity noone knows the details of what went on behind the scenes on the scoring of The Rock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Or the fact that nobody really cares wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    It's a pity noone knows the details of what went on behind the scenes on the scoring of The Rock.

smile

Who's this Noone character, anyway? Pat Noone?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. plindboe wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: The Social Network

Jeezus, this gets an Oscar nomination? Filmmusic has truly sunk to atrocious levels if this ever gets the Oscar. Which it will!

Bollocks. Who gets an Oscar isn't necessarily indicative of the general quality of film music. I personally think today's film music is all fine and healthy no matter who some film people decide to award.

Peter smile

I totally disagree, filmmusic back in the early years stood for something. Composers dared to express themselves and make their own score. Directors understood the talent of these composers and said they would accept it no matter what, because they believed and accepted their talent. Today composers have to write for the benefit of the movie, leaving their own voice behind and create tempscores because the director or produces loves a particular sound so much. Today music is rarely impressive anymore and wall to wall scoring has become a common thing. The Social Network is background music for a film, and not even worthy to be called music on CD!
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. plindboe wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    It just amazes me how people call a film crap, yet they absolutely love the music. Don't you just like the movie a little then? I could never separate the music from the film. That's why 90 % of the films that I love have great scores. It's such an integral part of a movie that I could never hate any of those films, even though I know in my heart they aren't masterpieces. If a score is fun, the movie's fun. If a score moves me, the film moves me. Only my opinion of course.

Whenever I read posts like this I always think "this guy isn't a film music fan, he's a film fan". Not meaning to judge, it just sounds like you're saying that the music can't be good on its own.

Peter smile

this is where good music comes in, back in the day good music was written. Back then the music sounded superbly in the film, and outside its context. Trust me, the reason why my brother says this is because he has felt the degeneration of fimmusic, just like I have. The occasional examples and great composers remain an exception, but the majority provides music that is perfect for the film, and a lot less on CD.

I enjoy music in and outside the context, and my brother enjoys it too, but he knows that stellar filmmusic is a thing of the past (with the occasional exceptions of course of today)
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    It is closer to Nick's type and style of scoring, from all those you mention.

It is. I've heard that while Nick never wanted to be an a-list composer, this experience traumatized him, the biggest scare he had when it comes to the process.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not the "good olde days" talk again.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Where?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote

Better than talking about the "bad new days!"

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What about not bitching and whining for once, just letting one's self and others enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    No one is bitching... only a sharing of opinion.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Shuffling the iPod seems to be throwing up a lot of long tracks from the likes of Nosferatu, Carrington, Jurassic Park and The Perfect Storm.

I feel like I should play some Herrmann to balance things out!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    The Patriot - John Williams

I might be stepping out some people's toes but I think that the opening concert suite is all that you need from this album.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    Southall wrote

Page 20, middle of the page, what Pawel said.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Shuffling the iPod seems to be throwing up a lot of long tracks from the likes of Nosferatu, Carrington, Jurassic Park and The Perfect Storm.

I feel like I should play some Herrmann to balance things out!

gowan, play some Herrmann.

I don't think it'll take too much of a nudge for you to play some Herrmann wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP - Blades of Glory - Theodore Shapiro

There is some surprisingly dramatic and accomplished scoring in this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

DAFT PUNK punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    I've just returned from a party and I needed something to relax me, something to be swept away. And then I remembered that there was a film on with one of the most magnificent scores I've ever heard... heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time...So,

NP: The English Patient ~ Gabriel Yared

How could I ever forget about this? It's been years since I listened to it.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2011
    Liberty Heights - Andrea Morricone

Exquisitely beautiful, a true gem of a score.
  6. ROBIN AND MARIAN - John Barry

I'm still new to this one. It has some nice sounding themes I look forward to getting to know better. Not to wowed by the rest, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Stavroula wrote
    I've just returned from a party and I needed something to relax me, something to be swept away. And then I remembered that there was a film on with one of the most magnificent scores I've ever heard... heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time...So,

Dang it, my list of scores to buy really doesn't need to get any bigger.... angry wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    ROBIN AND MARIAN - John Barry

I'm still new to this one. It has some nice sounding themes I look forward to getting to know better. Not to wowed by the rest, though.

A great score IMO and one of his most gorgeous love themes ever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote

I love this score, IMO Yared is one of a very few excellent composers still working in film today.
  7. A Very Long Engagement - Angelo Badalamenti

Very melancholy and melodic. I think my enjoyment of this depends greatly on what mood I'm in. Tonight, it's pretty good, though it gets a little samey by the end.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

punk
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    What about not bitching and whining for once, just letting one's self and others enjoy.

I only answer to Peter's post, who's bitching? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    A Very Long Engagement - Angelo Badalamenti

Very melancholy and melodic. I think my enjoyment of this depends greatly on what mood I'm in. Tonight, it's pretty good, though it gets a little samey by the end.

Love it! Great film too smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GODFATHER - Nino Rota

Beautiful score perfectly spotted for one of the greatest films ever made.