• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Was playing: Largo Winch 2 - Alexandre Desplat

Very enjoyable, the kind of fluffy action score you wouldn't expect to hear from him.

It has some of the themes from the first movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    Southall wrote

Very enjoyable, the kind of fluffy action score you wouldn't expect to hear from him.

I've never actually heard the first score (though I did buy it today...)
  2. Southall wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Southall wrote

I've never actually heard the first score (though I did buy it today...)

Ah. Okey.
  3. NP: Power, Seduction, Cries - Black Swan (Clint Mansell)

No idea how much of the score is from Mansell, but I like it very much.
  4. NP: Fragments Of A Prayer - Children of Men (John Tavener)

Amazing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2011
    Thor wrote
    NP: ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Danny Elfman)

One of his best in the last 10 years. A scandal that it was overlooked at the Oscars.

Agree! Along with Tron and Inception this was one of last years best scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    NP: John Paul II by Marco Frisina - just lovely and it held my interest through the whole cd
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Now playing: Concerto for Guitar - Elmer Bernstein

One of the most beautiful things he ever wrote.

Fluffy desplat ? Damn.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Power, Seduction, Cries - Black Swan (Clint Mansell)

No idea how much of the score is from Mansell, but I like it very much.
    if you know his style listen carefully. It is very obvious which parts are his. His trademark musical signature is there.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote

I'm listening to it as I write this (I listened to this i the car yesterday but couldn't really hear it) but a lot of it sounded like drone and a step back from the first one. Gone are the Barry sounding cues like "Largo Winch" and "Croatian Sorrow" replaced with cheap electronics backing the orchestra.

Largo's theme appears once, and Nerio's theme is in there a few times. Also the second part of the new love theme ties in with the end of the original one. I hope it improves now I can hear it properly, but there sounded like a lot of drone...

Edit: Well, I guess I did hear it properly in the car, because Desplat has written a considerable amount of drone. Huge disappointment coming from the first score and from him. sad

On another hand I must applaud Varese for getting me to buy this on the clips alone. They really did chose the best parts of the score to post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    La Ligne Droite - Patrick Doyle

Very fine indeed. There's a Michael Nyman vibe going on at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    La Ligne Droite - Patrick Doyle

Very fine indeed. There's a Michael Nyman vibe going on at times.
    how would you describe it ?
  5. Great James. It is really quite good. Maybe more people will pay attention to my comments. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It has immediately become one of my favourite Doyle scores. Beautiful, string-and-piano driven, melodic, uplifting.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Fragments Of A Prayer - Children of Men (John Tavener)

Amazing.

Absolutely amazing. Beautiful.
  6. Southall wrote
    It has immediately become one of my favourite Doyle scores. Beautiful, string-and-piano driven, melodic, uplifting.

How repetitive is it?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  7. Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote

I'm listening to it as I write this (I listened to this i the car yesterday but couldn't really hear it) but a lot of it sounded like drone and a step back from the first one. Gone are the Barry sounding cues like "Largo Winch" and "Croatian Sorrow" replaced with cheap electronics backing the orchestra.

Largo's theme appears once, and Nerio's theme is in there a few times. Also the second part of the new love theme ties in with the end of the original one. I hope it improves now I can hear it properly, but there sounded like a lot of drone...

Edit: Well, I guess I did hear it properly in the car, because Desplat has written a considerable amount of drone. Huge disappointment coming from the first score and from him. sad

On another hand I must applaud Varese for getting me to buy this on the clips alone. They really did chose the best parts of the score to post.

Well, at least he uses some of his themes for the first one. And the love theme must be Lea's theme, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: King Kong - James Newton Howard

I like this score A LOT. The cues Empire State Building, Beauty Killed the Beast IV & V are some of the best and moving music I've ever heard from JNH.
  8. Cristian wrote

I like this score A LOT. The cues Empire State Building, Beauty Killed the Beast IV & V are some of the best and moving music I've ever heard from JNH.

One of my favorites JNH scores. The only problem is that some of the music is overused, but that's because the short amount of time that he had to write the score. I wonder how would sounded if James had more time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    thank you. That's a relieve to hear.
  9. yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote

One of my favorites JNH scores. The only problem is that some of the music is overused, but that's because the short amount of time that he had to write the score. I wonder how would sounded if James had more time.

JNH said that even with more time, he wouldn't have written anything better. Overuse of the score may be a case of spotting and setting things up with the director, not just going with the composer's instinct.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Cristian wrote

JNH said that even with more time, he wouldn't have written anything better. Overuse of the score may be a case of spotting and setting things up with the director, not just going with the composer's instinct.

Ok.
  11. Call of the Wild - Lee Holdridge

If you're a fan of Holdridge, this is one of his better adventure efforts. Good main theme and decent underscore.
  12. NP: Largo Winch 2 - Desplat

I agree that it's not better than the first one, but still is very enjoyable. There's not too much difference between this one and the first one. I think it's much more intimate, maybe because of the plot. The few action cues are good. I like the use of electronics, it doesn't sound noisy like Zimmer. Of the themes of the first one, I think it's much more prominent in this one, Nerio's theme. The use of shakuhachi (played by Desplat himself) reminds me of DH
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A VIEW TO A KILL - John Barry

Excellent Bond score, the very best for a Roger Moore, Bond film and quite underappreciated IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Timmer wrote

Excellent Bond score, the very best for a Roger Moore, Bond film and quite underappreciated IMO.

Indeed, I would rate it second on my favourite Bond scores list, after The Living Daylights. The electric guitar rips throughout the score are highly enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's on TV at the moment too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    It's on TV at the moment too.

I was going to say 'what a coincidence' but then, when isn't there a Bond film on brit TV.
  14. Cristian wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote
    NP : The Best of Dragon Quest - Koichi Sugiyama

Thanks Gilles , I'm enjoying this immensely !
    Fantastic stuff ! cool

punk A.W.E.S.O.M.E punk

Indeed, great stuff! punk

Thanks to mentioning this. I listened to a number of samples via YouTube (and there's a bunch there), and it's very good!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote

Indeed! A great score.

Although, I thought Walken mowing down everyone in the end was a little much. Haha, not to mention the very masculine Mayday. wink You have to admit, she is a little scary. Just a little. I think it's her voice.

It is a very fun Moore bond film though. beer