• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    The music is supposed to be fun, over-the-top and comic-like as that's what the movie is like. I don't get the derision. The only way I can explain it is due to the fact that film score fans often seem to forget that they're listening to film music, not absolute music. Also, perhaps much of the mockery is grounded in Rosenman's attitude.

Peter smile

I think it's Rosenman's attitude too, he's the one who mocked it in the first place.

yeah

The film, as Kershner himself stated, is neither fun nor comic-like (it sure as fook is over-the-top, though!), but was supposed to exude a rather Empire Strikes Back like quality (well, that didn't really work out! wink ), as the darkest part of a trilogy.

I like the film, but not because it's fun: in fact it's incredibly dark, bleak and vicious.
    The score is a complete misfire on every conceivable level.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Escape To Victory - Bill Conti

Giving my Prometheus disc another spin !
    I love this one ! cool
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: BREAKING & ENTERING (Gabriel Yared / Underworld)

On musicme.com. Beautiful, beautiful music that's just my kind of stuff these days. I should track down the physical album.

I bought it a year or so back, it should still be available.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Southall wrote
    La Ligne Droite - Patrick Doyle

Has become my favourite score by him. Can't get enough of it.

Where would you recommend picking this one up? I'm intrigued with all the great things I'm hearing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    omaha wrote
    Southall wrote
    La Ligne Droite - Patrick Doyle

Has become my favourite score by him. Can't get enough of it.

Where would you recommend picking this one up? I'm intrigued with all the great things I'm hearing.

I bought it on iTunes (and then discovered it cheaper on Amazon MP3 immediately afterwards).
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Jaws 2 - John Williams

Maybe as good as the original or even better ?!
    Fantastic stuff !

The film's underrated too IMO ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote
    NP : Jaws 2 - John Williams

Maybe as good as the original or even better ?!
    Fantastic stuff !

The film's underrated too IMO ...

The film is typical teenage horror/thriller fayre, very poor, but I agree with you on the score, as an album I enjoy it more than the original, it's a fabulous score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011 edited
    Roy wrote
    NP: Megamind - Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe

I haven't been here for a while, I mean I've read some posts , but haven't contribute, ...anyway tracks Tightenville (Hal's Theme), Roxanne (Love Theme), Rejection In the Rain are really great, quite charming, even if or maybe mostly becase , they are like from HOLIDAY or something like it, after watching a movie I can't get enough of those tracks, Hans really good great job on this one smile

Cheers to everyone on this forum wave

NP: Megamind - Hans Zimmer & Lorne Balfe

Yup! The softer, funner tracks are the definite highlights of the album for me.

Oh, the downbeat "Rejection in the Rain" track is particularly interesting in how heartfelt and sincere it seems to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

On musicme.com. Beautiful, beautiful music that's just my kind of stuff these days. I should track down the physical album.

Absolutely gorgeous and utterly beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Thor wrote

This is a good one.

Recently played: Twilight: Eclipse (Howard Shore)

I've slowly drifted away from being intensely interesting in Shore a few years back (post-RINGS) to being bored enough with his style that I've not heard his last few scores (Doubt, Edge of Darkness, and this). But given the romantic edge of the franchise, I felt this would probably draw some strong material from him, so it seemed like a good time to check in.

Thoughts:
    - Large chunks of it do pass by without drawing much interest. The 'Battle' track is strong -- more than just murky calamity, which is what some of the other tracks fall into at times.
    - Shore always does his research well -- he's clearly tried to incorporate aspects of both Burwell's and Desplat's approaches.
    - The Riley theme is very nice. Whenever the score hovers over that stuff, I'm engaged again.
    - I do LOVE what he does in the last track, showing all composers how to make the obligatory closing pop song feel less obligatory. His practice in segueing into Enya, Emiliana Torrini and Annie Lennox in the RINGS scores are paying off here.

Interesting, but not great. Shore's on the cusp of a few projects that promise much though -- Scorsese's Hugo Cabret, naturally The Hobbit, Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lionheart - Jerry Goldsmith

I don't know why I listen to this so rarely. Very impressive, with a fine collection of themes. (Shame about the performance in parts though.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Forever Young - Jerry Goldsmith

Massively better than its reputation would suggest. Soaring, sweeping themes throughout. Some dodgy synths drag it down but there's so much quality here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2011
    Michael,

Interesting thoughts. I find it completely uninspired and off-puting though...
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Michael,

Interesting thoughts. I find it completely uninspired and off-puting though...

I can understand that reaction, in this case. It gave me just enough to keep listening to the end.
  3. NP: Spirit of Santa Monica - 2012 (Kloser and Wander)

Cool. Reminds me of JNH's action style. Unfortunely not all the action cues of the score (except Leaving Las Vegas and We're Taking the Bentley) sound as good as this one (Finding Charlie, Run Daddy Run and The Impact sound over-the-top)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    plindboe wrote
    The music is supposed to be fun, over-the-top and comic-like as that's what the movie is like. I don't get the derision. The only way I can explain it is due to the fact that film score fans often seem to forget that they're listening to film music, not absolute music. Also, perhaps much of the mockery is grounded in Rosenman's attitude.

Peter smile

I think it's Rosenman's attitude too, he's the one who mocked it in the first place.

yeah

The film, as Kershner himself stated, is neither fun nor comic-like (it sure as fook is over-the-top, though!), but was supposed to exude a rather Empire Strikes Back like quality (well, that didn't really work out! wink ), as the darkest part of a trilogy.

I like the film, but not because it's fun: in fact it's incredibly dark, bleak and vicious.
    The score is a complete misfire on every conceivable level.

The subject is not serious. It's about Robocop after all, a half man, half machine. This is the stuff of comic books and for pimpled teenagers to enjoy. To expect a mature, serious work, considering the subject matter would be misguided to say the least.

In any case, it's been a while since I've seen the movie. I remember it being dark, but also loads of fun to watch. I'll have to see it again to get a more informed opinion about how the score works in the movie. I'm currently judging from my memories of the movie and how the music works as a standalone experience and they seem to match up perfectly.

Peter smile
  4. If Darren Aronofsky had ever made his Robocop film, I'm sure he would have been trying to be taken so seriously. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I just watched the movie. I'm not sure what you're talking about Martijn, but it is fun! There are loads of funny scenes, for instance this one. It's clearly a movie that doesn't take itself seriously no matter what Kershner might have said.

The "rooooboooocoooop" singing doesn't even show up in the movie itself. The theme is playing several times during the movie, without any singing. It seems unfair to judge an entire score based on a few seconds of singing in the end credits.

Good theme btw. Not as good as Poledouris', but it's very much in the same vein and it's rather catchy and heroic.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    plindboe wrote
    It seems unfair to judge an entire score based on a few seconds of singing in the end credits.

True... the mocking is most definitely warranted.

Anywho, I'm not a fan of the score. A lot of the material is lift verbatim from Rosenman's earlier scores... quite distracting. Basil's original is by far the best of the series which is pretty serious, highly emotionally and quite dramatic.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2011 edited
    HANS ZIMMER - rango

Headache-inducing noise. As for the raping of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, it's one of the worst pieces i've heard lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2011 edited
    NP: The Rescuers Down Under - Bruce Broughton

It's been a long time since I last listened to this. Still really like this one. Always loved Broughton's themes and orchestrations.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    NP: The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer (et al.)

Lovely it is. I always tend to forget how carried away I still become by this.

It is quite nice BTW to have a job where you can listen to music while working. smile cheesy biggrin
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NEXT THREE DAYS (Danny Elfman)

More of the ambient/slow/textural music I've come to appreciate recently. Love it!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

More of the ambient/slow/textural music I've come to appreciate recently. Love it!

Did you check out any clips from Isham's TIBET?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PAYCHECK - John Powell

Good stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Good choice. Not listened to it in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Haven't gotten around to it. Shortly, I promise. Now I'm off for some Friday beers (a bit late, but there you go).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Haven't gotten around to it. Shortly, I promise. Now I'm off for some Friday beers (a bit late, but there you go).

It's never too late for a thirsty beer beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ON DEADLY GROUND - Basil Poledouris

Not brilliant but still good and very listenable, the track The Journey I could honestly listen to over and over again, one of those tracks that makes the album an essential.