• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I thought the novel was very good but when I heard it would be made into a film I immediately thought it was a bad idea of which I was proved right, it is AWFUL ( a good first half hour though ).

Stephen King novels should only ever be given to Frank Darabont or Rob Reiner for adaptation. Fact.

On paper it looked good with Lawrence Kasdan on board, having read the book I just don't think it's material that any director of film could have done justice to, I'm not saying it was a brilliant book either, just a very entertaining and unfilmable one, at least within a two hour time frame.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

This is the best way to tell you I'm doing fine.

bunny
    kiss

bunny beer

Been quite a while since I properly listened to it, though. Must pull it up again. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote
    Mars Needs Moms - Johnny Powell

I must say, this is extremely entertaining.

Compared to How To Train Your Dragon?

I prefer it, it's more distinctively Powell (and I realise that's odd given there are a couple of obvious homages here, but they're exactly that, homages). I will likely be in a minority of one in holding that opinion.

Count me in. I enjoyed Mars Needs Moms more from the very first listen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Copernicus' Star - Abel Korzeniowski

A somewhat lightweight fantasy score with a number of highlight moments; it's a pleasant 45 minute listen.

From the clips I heard it sounds alright but it does sound like other composers works, James Horner's 'Beautiful Mind' sound comes to mind.

Perhaps a bit overrated on the boards?
  1. Timeline Goldsmith

Brilliant intoxicating music that I love more with every listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Now playing "Sacrifice" by Lisa Gerrard. What a stunning and mournful piece. This strange video, featuring the piece is quite an experience to behold.

Peter smile

Beautiful piece

Beautiful, beautiful piece, indeed.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You ain't around here enough Marcel...

bhangra

It gets lonely without you dancing on my head.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Clue a new release from John Morris
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

bhangra

he's not around enough anymore can only mean cheatin on wives has only gone up lately it seems ! wink
  2. NP: The Wildest Dream - Joel Douek

Only the clips at the moment but will be buying this asap. Thanks Demetris for Facebooking this title as a reminder of one of the recent award winners at the IF.... (whatever it's called).

Clips here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wildest-Dream-O … p;sr=1-113
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SECRET GARDEN (Zbigniew Preisner)

It doesn't get lovelier than this unless your name is Georges Delerue.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote

How would you compare to his other scores (Preisner)?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Thor wrote

How would you compare to his other scores (Preisner)?

It's got Preisner's typical lyrical melancholy all over it, but is more childlike and innocent in instrumentation (and some Middle-Eastern/Indian flavours).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. THE PAGEMASTER - JAMES HORNER

Always a joy to put it on. James did some extraordinarily beautiful and exciting writing here. Sheer creative music I sometimes miss in his current output. Say what you will about him, he was still at the top of his game during the 90s.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    THE PAGEMASTER - JAMES HORNER

Always a joy to put it on. James did some extraordinarily beautiful and exciting writing here. Sheer creative music I sometimes miss in his current output. Say what you will about him, he was still at the top of his game during the 90s.

I think he still is, with AVATAR being a good example, but yeah - I know what you mean. The 90's was when I discovered Horner too, so I have a particular relationship to his music in that decade.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The 90s are littered with fantastic Horners, just like the 80s, the 00s not so much anymore. I still think The Perfect Storm is his last great work. I like Avatar for what it is, but it will never become Titanic brilliance, which I still adore to this day.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    NP: Durango- Mark Mckenzie Something lovely for St Patrick's Day
  5. DreamTheater wrote

I definitely have to check that one out again, perhaps I'll see the movie again to get a taste of it because I listen to it.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

bhangra

he's not around enough anymore can only mean cheatin on wives has only gone up lately it seems ! wink

Ahhhh, he must be in hiding from vengeful Spanish husbands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

bhangra

Ahhhh, he must be in hiding from vengeful Spanish husbands.

biggrin

Sadly, my job takes almost all of my time cry

Still, I log in every single day, I'm watching you boys and girls......although I don't post as much as I'd like to.

Anyway,

bhangra
    bhangra

Happy, Tim? wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    bhangra
    bhangra

biggrin punk
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    DreamTheater wrote
    The 90s are littered with fantastic Horners, just like the 80s, the 00s not so much anymore. I still think The Perfect Storm is his last great work. I like Avatar for what it is, but it will never become Titanic brilliance, which I still adore to this day.

Actually, I think Horner got more original as his career went on. In the 1980s, he really gave himself a bad name with the amount of rip-offs and self-plagiarisms he did.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I think he still is, with AVATAR being a good example, but yeah - I know what you mean. The 90's was when I discovered Horner too, so I have a particular relationship to his music in that decade.

Me too, but I think he's at the top of his game right now. In fact I don't think there's another film composer around at the moment (working on big films, anyway) who is so good, so consistently, as Horner at the moment.
  6. NP: The Sacrifice - Mars Needs Moms (John Powell)

I love this cue. The emotion with strings and chorus in the first couple of minutes (which reminds me of Desplat's Farewell to Dobby) ,and thoses great renditions of the main theme with the flute, the chorus and strings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NATURAL (Randy Newman)

Never been a big fan of his, but he sure knows his way around Americana, that's for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

So pleased a new score's coming from the Maestro, I thought I'd give his last one a listen. And it's brilliant! Why haven't I listened to it more often?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

It's a great score indeed. A ****½'er to my ears.

Peter smile
  7. Katiek wrote
    NP: Durango- Mark Mckenzie Something lovely for St Patrick's Day

FANTASTIC score! Excellent choice for today, and my favorite McKenzie score.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Copernicus' Star - Abel Korzeniowski

A somewhat lightweight fantasy score with a number of highlight moments; it's a pleasant 45 minute listen.

From the clips I heard it sounds alright but it does sound like other composers works, James Horner's 'Beautiful Mind' sound comes to mind.

Perhaps a bit overrated on the boards?

I think the first half is better than the second. It starts out really strong and kind of dies off. I'd probably give it 3 1/2 or 4 stars. Many of the tracks are good, and some are very good, but I get a little tired of it by the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Baaria - Ennio Morricone

So pleased a new score's coming from the Maestro, I thought I'd give his last one a listen. And it's brilliant! Why haven't I listened to it more often?

Agree with this, excellent score. Gone to play this too now!
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Wildest Dream - Joel Douek

Only the clips at the moment but will be buying this asap. Thanks Demetris for Facebooking this title as a reminder of one of the recent award winners at the IF.... (whatever it's called).

Clips here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wildest-Dream-O … p;sr=1-113

Thank you Alan, glad to be of service smile Truly beautiful score.