• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Atham wrote
    NP: Rascals and Robbers - James Horner

This is a great release!
    Recorded days before he began his work for Star Trek 2 this little Tom Sawyer television score sparkles with early Hornerisms.
    Some cues mirror his music for Something Wicked This Way Comes. Some Natty Gann. And even Krull!
    Oh, and a sprinkle of Battle Beyond The Stars!
    This score is the reason I bought the CD and not for Goldsmith's The Homecoming which is also featured on this release.
    A very rewarding listen! cool

I'd echo everything said above. One of my most rewarding Horner releases in ages, predominantly because it's a variation on the style Horner was using at this time. And it's my favourite style of his.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011
    NP : ROBIN OF SHERWOOD - Clannad

Very short album but absolutely lovely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Declaraciones Finales - El Hijo de la Novia (Angel Illarramendi)

Beautiful theme.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011
    NP : WALKING WITH DINOSAURS - Benjamin Bartlett

The best TV "documentary" music ever IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Patrick Doyle - La ligne droite

Minimalistic, chamber score, very intense with a classy theme. My first listen and I already love this score. This and Jane Eyre are for now this year's best. Good that a more/less classical (this one owes a lot to Phillip Glass in his more neoclassical period) and organic scores appeared in the beginning of the year from established composers like Doyle or Marianelli. I hope that there will be a new trend set pretty soon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Solaris - Cliff Martinez

This is the first listen of the first Martinez score I've ever listened to. I can usually defend ambient/electronic/minimalist scores, but this one left me with my head scratching. Through 65% of the album, there's no real development of any musical idea (yes, I know that's the point of ambient, but there are other ambient scores like The Dig that have development in them).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ROBIN OF SHERWOOD - Clannad

Very short album but absolutely lovely.

Fantastic music to a great series !
    A personal favourite of mine .
    I've also made myself my own CD-R of the music only tracks from the DVDs .
    Lots of music there that isn't on the album . Excellent stuff !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  5. The Hurricane - Christopher Young

I thought that this was a decent score. The biggest problem that people could have with it is that for most of the album it's pretty subdued and the main theme isn't very memorable. Even the jazz/southern bits are subdued (compared to what they could be). There are bits of Thomas Newman here and there, this movie is of course about prisons so it has to be expected. Other than that, it's a pretty safe standalone listen.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  6. Salt - James Newton Howard

Are there any other action scores as edgy and kickass as this score? Just the final track alone is worth the price of admission...
  7. NP: Ron Leaves - Deathly Hallows (Desplat)

I love how tragic sounds, so different from the other Potter scores. Desplat really nailed the dark and mature spirit of the book and the film with the score.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    WP: The Elephant Man - John Morris

NP: Far From Heaven - Elmer Bernstein

Both are really fantastic scores. Both seem to have a sense of bitter-sweetness to them. The Elephant Man does a great job incorporating the traveling freak show sound into its music, while Far From Heaven does a nice job reflecting the era the film represents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    NP: The Beautiful Country - Zbigniew Preisner

Beautiful, melodic score. Preisner is really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    KevinSmith wrote
    Solaris - Cliff Martinez

This is the first listen of the first Martinez score I've ever listened to. I can usually defend ambient/electronic/minimalist scores, but this one left me with my head scratching. Through 65% of the album, there's no real development of any musical idea (yes, I know that's the point of ambient, but there are other ambient scores like The Dig that have development in them).

I think there's quite a lot of development in it, but then again - these types of scores aren't supposed to be listened to in the same way you listen to a more traditional score (theme & variations etc.). It's more about experiencing it IN THE MOMENT. It's very visceral.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Panthera wrote
    WP: The Elephant Man - John Morris

NP: Far From Heaven - Elmer Bernstein

Both are really fantastic scores. Both seem to have a sense of bitter-sweetness to them. The Elephant Man does a great job incorporating the traveling freak show sound into its music, while Far From Heaven does a nice job reflecting the era the film represents.

THE ELEPHANT MAN is great. Love the carnivalesque, Elfman-type music, but the highlight is really the religious stuff. I just wish there more of it, like the drop-dead gorgeous track "John reads Psalm".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (John Williams)

The quintessential Erik Woods score! smile Listening to the Indiana Joneses for old times sake.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Gigli (Powell) - My rating: ****
    Two weeks notice (Powell) - My rating: ****
    PS. I love you (Powell) - My rating: ****

All three are pleasant and easy to absorb, and they have some amazing melodies. I like romcom scores. Always easy to listen to and then there's the orgasmic climax at the end when the couple get back together and kiss (usually after alot of running).

Bicentennial man (Horner) - My rating: ****

It always takes me forever to fall for Horner's scores for some reason. Just having seen the movie I'm able to listen to this one with more understanding and it has increased my enjoyment. The Braveheart love theme is always a bit weird, but when it gets going I always love it anyway. The sad theme in this score is the highlight though, and was brilliant in the movie.

Peter love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cristian wrote
    NP: The Beautiful Country - Zbigniew Preisner

Beautiful, melodic score. Preisner is really good.

Agree, very heartfelt and touching. Have you heard "IT'S ALL ABOUT LOVE" too? Gorgeous work.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Solaris - Cliff Martinez

I think there's quite a lot of development in it, but then again - these types of scores aren't supposed to be listened to in the same way you listen to a more traditional score (theme & variations etc.). It's more about experiencing it IN THE MOMENT. It's very visceral.

Agree. As far as this type of scores go, Martinez' Solaris is one of the most brilliant in the genre. Watched the movie and fell in love since.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

The quintessential Erik Woods score! smile Listening to the Indiana Joneses for old times sake.

I've only just noticed but you rarely seem to play Williams anymore.....or have I missed something?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Thor mentioned some time before that Williams' hectic action style rather grates on his tinnitus. sad

NP: Secret Of The Sahara - Ennio Morricone
    SAE had an Italian score sale, so I stocked up on some weird and wonderful things.
    I didn't know this score at all, but read some very good things about it. So far, it certainly doesn't disappoint: strong, epic and slightly estranging, with a beautiful theme (trust Ennio on that one). Lovely, moving choral work.
    I wonder what the film is about? confused It makes me very curious!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. NP: Duel At Diablo - Neal Hefti

First listen. I just love the main title to this. Very much of the time (mid-1960's), it's a great little toe-tapper. The quality of this and the music heard in the prologue to the main title credits bodes well for the rest of this score...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I've only just noticed but you rarely seem to play Williams anymore.....or have I missed something?

Nope, you have a point. I still play some of the calmer Williams quite often (A.I., ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, PRESUMED INNOCENT, ANGELA'S ASHES, JANE EYRE and so on), but very rarely the rambunctious stuff, for reasons previously stated. But I gotta dip into the ol' favourites now and then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (John Williams)

My least fav INDY score, but plenty of highlights. This is the original Japanese release, the only one for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What do you think of Crystal Skull?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote

It's fine. Interesting to hear INDY music channeled through Williams' contemporary style.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Giacchino wrote two Small Soliders video game scores and both are really a lot of fun!

-Erik-

Two? I was under the impression he did just the Playstation version, is there another one?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote

It's fine. Interesting to hear INDY music channeled through Williams' contemporary style.

For somebody who loves all three REAL Indy scores, Crystal Skull is far from fine. Probably why the movie sucked as well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM (John Williams)

My least fav INDY score, but plenty of highlights. This is the original Japanese release, the only one for me.

This one's my favourite Indy score! I like all four, though Last Crusade does drag a bit (even on the shorter release).
  11. FLATLINERS - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

The bootleg, which also holds the score from 'Falling Down' holds some good music, with some incredible choral melodies. Overall the quality is pretty good, except for the constant hiss. Still wondering why this hasn't been released yet. I would get it for certain.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Giacchino wrote two Small Soliders video game scores and both are really a lot of fun!

-Erik-

Two? I was under the impression he did just the Playstation version, is there another one?

Small Soldiers was a 3rd person PS game, and Small Soldiers: Squad Commander was a PC strategy game.