• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011
    plindboe wrote
    Thumbs up for mentioning something other than the Hollywood stuff the rest of us is obsessed with. I will check out all of those.

Peter punk

It's because the Hollywood stuff rocks!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Indeedy! But so does alot of non-Hollywood stuff. Hollywood gets 95% of the attention though, even though it probably deserves 20%.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    If it wasn't so financially challenging to obtain all those non-Hollywood scores I would probably spend about exactly 80% of my time listening to them instead of the Hollywood stuff...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. I like non-Hollywood stuff, especially when it's from Japan (Joe Hisaishi, Yoko Kanno, etc...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    plindboe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Indeedy! But so does alot of non-Hollywood stuff. Hollywood gets 95% of the attention though, even though it probably deserves 20%.

Peter smile

True

There is so much great music outside Hollywood from composers like Michiru Oshima, Taro Iwashiro, Toshihiko Sahashi, Joe Hisaishi, Philippe Rombi, Armand Amar, Fernando Velázquez just to name a few.

In my top ten favorite composers I have 3 composers from Japan: Joe Hisaishi, Taro Iwashiro, Michiru Oshima; 4 from Europe: Armand Amar, Zbigniew Preisner, Philippe Rombi, Jan A.P. Kaczmarek and 3 from Hollywood: James Newton Howard, James Horner, Thomas Newman.

I find myself listening more and more non-Hollywood music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote

Thumbs up for mentioning something other than the Hollywood stuff the rest of us is obsessed with. I will check out all of those.

Peter punk

Others mentioned non-Hollywood stuff too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    plindboe wrote
    punk To glory punk (Two steps from hell) -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_646M6y1k8

Since this hadn't been mentioned yet I thought it deserved a mention. It's not actually a film score, but it must be mentioned. My second favourite cue of 2010. Yeah baby! punk

Omg, it is! The comments on that video are hilarious. biggrin punk punk

Also not mentioned yet is Zack Hemsey's "Mind heist" used in the "Inception" trailer. Besides "To glory" this is the coolest track of the year. -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOJqicM6x84

Oh yes, that one is awesome. punk

And "Flying home" from "Kick-ass" has only been mentioned once, so I think it deserves another mention -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2rhnsl0u84

Cool! Pop-rock-orchestra feel good music.

My favourite cue of the year though is "Coming back around" from "How to train your dragon" -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5KOERF_akc
    I'm not as big as a fan as some other here, and the score is certainly very good. But it's not a fact that it is the best score of the year. wink However, some cues are indeed wonderful and energetic! punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Scribe wrote
    If it wasn't so financially challenging to obtain all those non-Hollywood scores I would probably spend about exactly 80% of my time listening to them instead of the Hollywood stuff...

Indeed. It's not that I'm any better either. 60% of my stuff is Hollywood as well.

It's just refreshing to see stuff that makes me go "wtf is that?".

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011 edited
    Cristian wrote
    True

There is so much great music outside Hollywood from composers like Michiru Oshima, Taro Iwashiro, Toshihiko Sahashi, Joe Hisaishi, Philippe Rombi, Armand Amar, Fernando Velázquez just to name a few.

In my top ten favorite composers I have 3 composers from Japan: Joe Hisaishi, Taro Iwashiro, Michiru Oshima; 4 from Europe: Armand Amar, Zbigniew Preisner, Philippe Rombi, Jan A.P. Kaczmarek and 3 from Hollywood: James Newton Howard, James Horner, Thomas Newman.

I find myself listening more and more non-Hollywood music.

punk

Christodoulides wrote
    Others mentioned non-Hollywood stuff too.

That is true. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. Joep is just the king of obscure scores.

Bregt wrote
    Omg, it is! The comments on that video are hilarious. biggrin punk punk

Hehe, indeed! Btw, had you heard this track before or did I just introduce you to its awesomeness?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Hadn't heard it before. It's loaded with awesomeness.
    Kazoo
  2. I went to review my "best tracks of 2010" and noted that I have 950 tracks from 2010 included in my "favourites" playlist.

Looking through them all there seems to be a very high number of game scores featured in this year.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    It's true, it's been a great year for game scores.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    People who liked "Flow Like Water" obviously missed the superb end credits suite for The Last Airbender. It boggles the mind why that wasn't included on the CD release.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Matt C wrote
    People who liked "Flow Like Water" obviously missed the superb end credits suite for The Last Airbender. It boggles the mind why that wasn't included on the CD release.

Because it is made from "The Avatar Has Returned", "Airbender Suite", "Journey To The Northern Tribe", and "We Are Now The Gods" all of which are already on the CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    plindboe wrote
    punk To glory punk (Two steps from hell) -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_646M6y1k8

Cool stuff. I think "No Sacrifice, No Victory" from the first Transformers score (between 0:25 - 0:53) was a source of inspiration for the composers of that piece. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sylvos wrote
    Matt C wrote

Because it is made from "The Avatar Has Returned", "Airbender Suite", "Journey To The Northern Tribe", and "We Are Now The Gods" all of which are already on the CD.

Yup... actually writing an original end credit cue is a lost art!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    I like the end credit suite from The Happening.
  3. I tried to limit my choices to one per album. Otherwise several albums would have had multiple tracks chosen:

“Alice's Theme” - Alice In WonderlandDanny Elfman
    “Don't Be Sorry, Just Help Me!” - BuriedVictor Reyes
    “Besieged Village” - Castlevania: Lords of ShadowOscar Araujo
    “There Is A God In You” - Clash of the TitansRamin Djawadi
    “Cuckoo – Part 2” - CuckooAndrew Hewitt
    “Archon” - DarkVoidBear McCreary
    “Immigrant Parasite” - DerelictMoritz Schmittat
    “I Am The Doctor” - Doctor Who – Series 5Murray Gold
    “Stalker” - God of War IIICris Velasco
    “Que Sople el Viento” - Hidalgo - La Historia Jamás Contada - Alejandro Giacomán
    “Forbidden Friendship” - How To Train Your DragonJohn Powell
    “Theme From Human Target” - Human TargetBear McCreary
    “Dream Is Collapsing” - InceptionHans Zimmer
    “Roof Jump” - Kick-AssIlan Eshkeri
    “Los Alamos” - Let Me InMichael Giacchino
    “Moving On” - Lost: The Final SeasonMichael Giacchino
    “Premeditated Crime” - Marks no YamaHiroyuki Sawano
    “Assault On Kamino” - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed IIMark Griskey
    “Wolf Suite – Part 1” - The WolfmanDanny Elfman
    “Recognizer” - Tron: LegacyDaft Punk
    “The Proposal” - True Blood – Season 2Nathan Barr

And thanks to Joep for highlighting Johan Söderqvist's "End Credits" from Earth Made of Glass: a beautiful piece of music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    Alan, would you please describe the following:

Derelict – Moritz Schmittat
    Hidalgo - La Historia Jamás Contada - Alejandro Giacomán
    Marks no Yama – Hiroyuki Sawano

As i haven't listened to them?

I agree with many of your choices and glad to see you loved EARTH MADE OF GLASS, great album (you can listen to a lot from that at his official website).
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

As i haven't listened to them?

I agree with many of your choices and glad to see you loved EARTH MADE OF GLASS, great album (you can listen to a lot from that at his official website).

I managed to "grab" the mp3s from Earth Made of Glass from his site and was listening to them earlier. Interesting sound on that album.

While I gather my thoughts on the other three here's links to clips:

Derelict

Hidalgo - La Historia Jamás Contada

Marks no Yama
  4. Derelict (Moritz Schmittat) is quite an aggressive (and short) score that's very reliant on driving rhythms and wordless chorus throughout. It only occasionally relents to quieter passages. Nothing fancy though I am a sucker for those driving percussive pieces.

Hidalgo - La Historia Jamás Contada (Alejandro Giacomán) is one that I fell in love with as soon as I heard it, though a lot of this is centred around the wondrous vocal track that bookends the score - "Que Sople el Viento" - and could be my favourite track of the year. Small-scale in proportions, the orchestrations are sound quite old to me and that may be down to the use of the recorder(?) An eclectic mix of almost Elizabethan music, Mexican/Spanish, court music and more contemporary orchestral fayre.

Marks no Yama (Hiroyuki Sawano) is a bit of a weird one and an album that has a few highlights in amongst less memorable tracks. It starts out all epic with a grand propulsive cue with massed choir and operatic male soloist. There's a lot of soundscape tracks with throbbing low end electronics and wailing vocals and some typically effective piano led cues that are done well in scores from the east.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    Bregt wrote
    plindboe wrote

Since this hadn't been mentioned yet I thought it deserved a mention. It's not actually a film score, but it must be mentioned. My second favourite cue of 2010. Yeah baby! punk

Omg, it is!

Sylvos wrote
    plindboe wrote

Cool stuff.

Btw, you two, check out Two Steps From Hell's "Invincible" album. I wasn't into trailer music groups before these guys, but now I am. I think these guys are fantastic, and way above other trailer groups like X-day Dog and Immediate Music.

On that album, besides "To glory", you'll find:

"Freedom fighters"
    "Black blade"
    "Invincible"
    "Undying love"
    "Infinite legends"
    "After the fall"

Give them a listen.

Oh, and I just listened to their album "The Devil wears Nada" which isn't trailer-music sounding, but has a bunch of different Hollywood styles:

"Clock tower parade"
    "Say yes"

I challenge any film score nut to listen to "Clock tower parade" and tell me that it isn't bloody brilliant.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

Yup... actually writing an original end credit cue is a lost art!

-Erik-

It would've been nice if Lakeshore had incorporated the end credits suite for the OST release, even though it was culled from several different cues. Same thing with The Wolfman, which was a key reason I bought the CD.

*sigh*
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  5. Christodoulides wrote

Demetris, did you follow up any of these after I commented on them? Or did I scare you off! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011
    Couldn't find them my friend i am afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011 edited
    Forbidden Frienship
    See You tomorrow
    Batteling the green death

How to train your dragon

Earthbenders
    Blue spirit

The Last Airbender

Dream is collapsing
    Dream within a Dream
    Mombasa

Inception

Outlands part I and II

Tron Legacy

Chase across DC

Salt

Flying a tank

A-team

Ivan's metamorphosis.
    Monaco

Iron-Man 2

Love in a Time of Pneumonia
    Don´t Look At the Light
    The Hole Shabang
    Moving On

Lost final Season
    •  
      CommentAuthorTravis
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    Joep wrote
    Illusionist Finale (L'Illusioniste) - Sylvain Chomet) was the best cue of the year.

Néandertal ( Ao, le Dernier Néandertal - Armand Amar)
    End Credits (Earth Made of Glass - Johan Söderqvist)
    The Revenge (Hævnen - Johan Söderqvist)
    Christian Disapears (Hævnen - Johan Söderqvist)

Thanks for suggesting these pieces. I was not familiar with these composers. Armand Amar has quite a talent. I explored some more of his work too and his piece Cum Dederit from Home (2009) is just beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2011
    We rave about them all the year, watch the forum more closely 'cause you're missing out :0
    •  
      CommentAuthorTravis
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    We rave about them all the year, watch the forum more closely 'cause you're missing out :0

That I need to do.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Couldn't find them my friend i am afraid.

Here's a little bit more of the three scores I highlighted:

DerelictMoritz Schmittat
    11-minute scoring session video

The gorgeous vocal track that bookends the soundtrack

Marks no YamaHiroyuki Sawano
    The first (and best) track on the CD - the rest isn't much like this