• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Maybe there's a push for increasing the popularity of the Academy? I'd imagine that this win will be reported more widely in the musical press because of the winners' other projects. Would the Oscars feature in these more widely spread magazines, etc if someone like Desplat had won? I think not.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011 edited
    I thought it was a deserved winner (great score for a fine film!), but INCEPTION should have won. Ironically, SOCIAL NETWORK is itself quite inspired by the New Zimmer sound.

My prediction re: SOCIAL NETWORK was right, though. I should start playing money games!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Am i the only one who thought it worked very good in the otherwise great film? Not for any award or anything, just as plain fact.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Am i the only one who thought it worked very good in the otherwise great film? Not for any award or anything, just as plain fact.

No, as I just said - I do so too!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but you believe it actually deserves any awards wink I didn't; i just enjoyed it and i don't think it's half as bad as people make it to be. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    My thoughts:

HTTYD - Fun, melodic score, but nothing remarkable
    KING'S SPEECH - Haven't heard it yet, but I'm no big fan of Desplat in general.
    INCEPTION - Great choice. A given.
    127 HOURS - Haven't heard it yet, but I dread the SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE effect.
    THE SOCIAL NETWORK - Great choice. A given.

I miss Daft Punk's TRON: LEGACY and most obviously Elfman's ALICE, but I suspect both of those were dropped because of the rather lackluster films they accompanied.

So I guess that means I'm a bit divided on this. I'll have a better overview once I've seen/heard KING'S SPEECH and 127 HOURS, though.

As for the song category, I need to listen to them again. I remember being underwhelmed by Menken this time.

I would like to have seen TRON and ALICE get a nom but Thor has already hit the nail on the head regarding their no-show.

Erik will be proved right, SOCIAL NETWORK will win!

From Jan 25th

:shrug:
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Why am I not surprised
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No one was surprised Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. How this piece of crap score won is beyond me! To go from something like Schindler's List to this in 18 years, shows the increasing lack of intelligence of the voters.

I thought it functions well in the film, but that's because the film would've worked just as well without music. So pure background noise that doesn't do anything.

Once again... OMG! face-palm-mt
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Really,. there is no good reason to care this much wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

I agree!
  3. Christodoulides wrote

I agree. It worked great in the film - but it's a bit annoying and noisy by itself. I guess it depends on how they voted, if they voted for the music's role in the film or if they voted for the quality of the music stand-alone. For the music's role in the film - I definitely see how it won. Stand-alone, I would have preferred The King's Speech. And from what other's have said, it's not just me. smile
  4. I would be surprised if joe-academy-voter watched the film and considered how the music functioned in the picture.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Well I sure hope for their tastes' sake they didn't choose it on basis of the album only wink
  5. congratulations to the Oscar board for f..king up another year punk
    man, we should have put money on this, we all would have been rich smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I would be surprised if joe-academy-voter watched the film and considered how the music functioned in the picture.

Like someone pointed out earlier, the "meat" goes to best actor, actress, film and the rest get tossed a few complimentary bones.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

I agree!

I agree that you agree, and I don't care, just saying what I think about that win. The score itself will be forgotten faster than the latest Justin Bieber hit for all I care.

But I do care a little because I will be confronted with it whenever I see the film. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Whenever you see the film? Oh i forgot that "watch a film for a 100 times" niche of yours wink beer
  7. Yes because I have a short memory span, ask my bro.

Social Network is not something I will see a 100 times though... that number is reserved for the real awesome fun asskickin flicks.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The ceremonies get worse every year. Although I love Anne Hathaway. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You love mice don't you? tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ha, other than that sickly purple dress she had on at one point she was lovely. smile lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011 edited
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I agree. It worked great in the film - but it's a bit annoying and noisy by itself. I guess it depends on how they voted, if they voted for the music's role in the film or if they voted for the quality of the music stand-alone. For the music's role in the film - I definitely see how it won. Stand-alone, I would have preferred The King's Speech. And from what other's have said, it's not just me. smile

I don't think it worked in the not so great film. I found it annoying and covered my ears a couple of times. I had people tell me to my face that the movie was true and the Time magazine article was all lies. I didn't bother to watch by the way. I don't care anymore
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!