• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    Best Original Score nominations -

127 Hours: A.R. Rahman
    How to Train Your Dragon: John Powell
    Inception: Hans Zimmer
    The King's Speech: Alexandre Desplat
    The Social Network: Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross

Best Original Song nominations -

127 Hours: A.R. Rahman, Rollo Armstrong, Dido("If I Rise")
    Country Strong: Bob DiPiero, Tom Douglas, Hillary Lindsey, Troy Verges("Coming Home")
    Tangled: Alan Menken, Glenn Slater("I See the Light")
    Toy Story 3: Randy Newman("We Belong Together")

Pretty predictable, but I'm SOOO happy that HTTYD has found its way in! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    This has made my day! I would have swapped out 127 Hours, The Social Network and The King's Speech for Daybreakers, Alice in Wonderland and The Ghost Writer... but I'm so goddamn thrilled that the best score of the year, How To Train Your Dragon, got a nomination! THRILLED! BTW, The Social Network is going to win this!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My thoughts:

HTTYD - Fun, melodic score, but nothing remarkable
    KING'S SPEECH - Haven't heard it yet, but I'm no big fan of Desplat in general.
    INCEPTION - Great choice. A given.
    127 HOURS - Haven't heard it yet, but I dread the SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE effect.
    THE SOCIAL NETWORK - Great choice. A given.

I miss Daft Punk's TRON: LEGACY and most obviously Elfman's ALICE, but I suspect both of those were dropped because of the rather lackluster films they accompanied.

So I guess that means I'm a bit divided on this. I'll have a better overview once I've seen/heard KING'S SPEECH and 127 HOURS, though.

As for the song category, I need to listen to them again. I remember being underwhelmed by Menken this time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Meh. Rahman is going to get it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    Meh. Rahman is going to get it.

lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. How to Train your Dragon deserves it the most, but 127 Hours or The Social Network is going to win it. My bet is on The Social Network, because it will win the best picture award. And best pictures contain (at least to those farts of the Academy) the best scores
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Dogtooh, nom for foreign film, is a greek production btw. I haven't heard it but reviews were glowing since its release about 3-4 months ago.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    How to Train your Dragon deserves it the most, but 127 Hours or The Social Network is going to win it. My bet is on The Social Network, because it will win the best picture award. And best pictures contain (at least to those farts of the Academy) the best scores

No usually, the Best Picture winners also have wins for Best Editing. Not necessarily Best Original Score winners.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Usually the best score winner goes to a film nominated for best picture or has a bunch of nominations. When the entire branch picks their winner, especially from the second class categories, they pick based on the film itself and not necessarily whether the music, editing, effectsm sound was good or not.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Usually the best score winner goes to a film nominated for best picture or has a bunch of nominations. When the entire branch picks their winner, especially from the second class categories, they pick based on the film itself and not necessarily whether the music, editing, effectsm sound was good or not.

-Erik-

indeed, which goes to show that the Academy doesn't care about the music whatsoever
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

HTTYD

...sounds like something nasty you and your genitalia would get from a not so frequently showered and healthy poor lady from a balkan country somewhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I won't comment or bother to watch
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The rest of the Academy members don't for sure... but then when the music branch nominates 127 Hours and The Social Network I'm a little curious as to what exactly they are smoking.

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    The rest of the Academy members don't for sure... but then when the music branch nominates 127 Hours and The Social Network I'm a little curious as to what exactly they are smoking.

-Erik-

ah, it's what they've been smoking for the past couple of years now, the same brand but higher on toxins
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

ah, it's what they've been smoking for the past couple of years now, the same brand but higher on toxins

Couple? Past couple was just for Rahman. Before him was another person who loved guitar strumming and apparently made the academy wet their publicity pants. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    My thoughts:

HTTYD - Fun, melodic score, but nothing remarkable
    KING'S SPEECH - Haven't heard it yet, but I'm no big fan of Desplat in general.
    INCEPTION - Great choice. A given.
    127 HOURS - Haven't heard it yet, but I dread the SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE effect.
    THE SOCIAL NETWORK - Great choice. A given.

I miss Daft Punk's TRON: LEGACY and most obviously Elfman's ALICE, but I suspect both of those were dropped because of the rather lackluster films they accompanied.

So I guess that means I'm a bit divided on this. I'll have a better overview once I've seen/heard KING'S SPEECH and 127 HOURS, though.

As for the song category, I need to listen to them again. I remember being underwhelmed by Menken this time.

I would like to have seen TRON and ALICE get a nom but Thor has already hit the nail on the head regarding their no-show.

Erik will be proved right, SOCIAL NETWORK will win!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Dogtooh, nom for foreign film, is a greek production btw. I haven't heard it but reviews were glowing since its release about 3-4 months ago.

That's a great film, on my Top 10 list of 2010, but quite disturbing. It's one of those films that really hit you in the stomach only 24 hours after you've seen it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How is it like? Worth it? I heard it has to do with the athens rotten life and such.
  4. Of course, I'm rooting for The King's Speech for Desplat, though I've yet to see the movie.

I would be OKAY with Inception winning though (2nd best score of the year, in my not so humble opinion).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    How is it like? Worth it? I heard it has to do with the athens rotten life and such.

The premise is basically a version of the Fritzl story - a couple of twisted parents who keep their adolescent children within the confines of their home at all time. With everything that entails, including some incestous things. It's done in with documentary-style realism, so it's really quite uncomfortable to watch.

But daring and great film in everything from acting to cinematography.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Of course, I'm rooting for The King's Speech for Desplat, though I've yet to see the movie.

I would be OKAY with Inception winning though (2nd best score of the year, in my not so humble opinion).

Oh, and as for Best Picture, BLACK SWAN all the way!!!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I read an article about film editing at NYT, and it makes a key point that movies that are nominated for Best Picture have a much better chance to win if their editors are nominated for Best Editing too (like The Departed, Titanic, Return of the King, et al). Given that The King's Speech and The Social Network have the Editing nominations (plus the most # of noms), those are the likely Best Picture winners.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  6. HtTYD will never win, but it's the only score on that list that I like - and I like it a lot! I'm not a fan of any of the others. Not even a little.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011
    Listening to KING'S SPEECH again. Loving it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Inception Oscar Nominee Hans Zimmer ‘Quite Shocked’ That Christopher Nolan Was Snubbed

http://www.movieline.com/2011/01/hans-z … ominat.php
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I hope Powell wins. While I'm not blown away by HTTYD he deserves the recognition for the other number of great scores he's done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    Rahman will kick his white ass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    How to Train Your Dragon: John Powell

:blowingkazoo!:
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Rahman will kick his white ass.

lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    Listening to KING'S SPEECH again. Loving it.

I would have gone for The Ghost Writer or Deathly Hallows, personally. But whatever, as long as he wins.