• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011
    What a fantastic creature! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote
    Don't watch this if you have insectophobia-> The world's heaviest insect

Peter shocked

Fuck. That.

shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Excellent!
    I knew wetas were big, but this one is HUGE!

And so cute! love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck. That.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Fuck. That.

So you keep saying. I'd prefer not to imagine such an image.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2011 edited
    biggrin applause lol
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011
    Yesterday at 13:15 I sat down in front of the TV to watch André Kuipers in the Soyuz being launched to the ISS. I enjoyed it a lot! The TV programme was from 13:15 till 14:30 and all the time I was watching in awe. It was being presented from the ESA Space Centre in Noordwijk and the interviews, videos and commentary were really nice.

So, the launch was at 14:16 and after ten minutes you could see the astronauts shake hands so the launch had been successful. Great moment there. It was really exciting to watch.

Tomorrow the Soyuz will dock and if it's not clouded we can spot the ISS and Soyuz. I have to look for the time exactly on the internet.

Right now I'm listening to the Live Stream of the ISS communications. It's really soothing. Long pauses of silence but once in a while they say something and I sometimes just put it on and listen a bit. I'm curious what can be heard tomorrow when the Soyuz will dock.
    http://www.nasa.gov/178952main_Mission_Audio_UP.asx
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    They are being interviewed right now! cheesy
    Hehehe, fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Apparently two days ago Dan Burbank saw a comet and they took pictures, it looked spectacular.

Dan Burbank was just interviewed by some Paul, a meteorologist from a TV station, that's what it sounded like.... They talked about the kind of research and experiments they are doing, now with three but from tomorrow on with three more and about great views and also a bit about Christmas and family.

This is the most interesting thing I ever caught on their communications.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011
    Looking forward to tonight when the docking can be seen live on TV, including the rituals that go with going through the hatch and meeting the ISS crew.

There are also some good ISS spotting moments the coming week, but it's very clouded and rainy today... tonight at 17:47 at 49 degrees, that is right after (or while?) docking. Then on saturday 18:27 at 87 degrees! That should be a good one.
  1. I think that at least one of the ISS sightings will be particularly bright. I think that it will be too cloudy to see anything.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    100 metres away, approaching has started! The Soyuz is visible on NASA TV now from the ISS:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/iss_ustream.html

This is fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    20 metres
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    16:19, yes! I thought it would be live on TV, but that's only in one hour on Dutch TV...

I'm glad I watched this NASA TV spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Three more hours (two orbits) before everything is sealed well and the hatch will open and they will meet the ISS crew. So that won't be 'live' on Dutch TV either haha. Probably on the 19:30 news.
  2. New crab species named "The Hoff" because of it's hairy chest. I'll assume you all know whom the 'hoff is.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16394430
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012 edited
    Hugo FriedHOFFer? of course!! cheesy i'm assured that he's never owned a talking car though.
  3. Sure, if you want to admit to having seen his shirtless hairy chest.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2012
    ALL of Germany has!
  4. I didn't know Hugo was so popular over there... ;-)
  5. Fire in space:
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stati … Video.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17503395

Film director James Cameron reaches the deepest point in the ocean, the Mariana Trench, the first person in 50 years to do so.

"No pressure, James!" I bellowed, after my house-mate informed me of said expedition earlier today, obliviously unveiling the finest ironic pun uttered by any tongue.
  6. And he will make a new film about it called:

"James Cameron's Hole"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2012
    LSH wrote
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17503395

Film director James Cameron reaches the deepest point in the ocean, the Mariana Trench, the first person in 50 years to do so.

"No pressure, James!" I bellowed, after my house-mate informed me of said expedition earlier today, obliviously unveiling the finest ironic pun uttered by any tongue.

He, he... biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  7. If it's sunny where you are go outside now and look straight up at the thin crescent moon. Go up a distance of about 5 moon diameters and slightly to the left and if you are lucky you will see Venus - in broad daylight!! Somehow that is spectacular!

I couldn't see it with the naked eye (maybe bad eyesight?) but it is really bright with a pair of binoculars. Take care though if you use binoculars - the sun being out means you have to take care when viewing the moon with binoculars.

ON NO ACCOUNT VIEW THE SUN WITH BINOCULARS. YOU WILL BE BLINDED IF YOU DO.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    If it's sunny where you are go outside now and look straight up at the thin crescent moon. Go up a distance of about 5 moon diameters and slightly to the left and if you are lucky you will see Venus - in broad daylight!! Somehow that is spectacular!

I couldn't see it with the naked eye (maybe bad eyesight?) but it is really bright with a pair of binoculars. Take care though if you use binoculars - the sun being out means you have to take care when viewing the moon with binoculars.

I can make out Venus with the naked eye, so it is do-able with the unaided eye.
  9. Chocolate makes you thin!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17511011

At last, vindication of my life's work.

(Though my own personal data does not support the reported evidence.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    biggrin

I eat it almost every day at breakfast, preferably the dark one. I hear a new study of chocolate about every couple of months, and they all conclude the contrary of the previous one.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    If it's sunny where you are go outside now and look straight up at the thin crescent moon. Go up a distance of about 5 moon diameters and slightly to the left and if you are lucky you will see Venus - in broad daylight!! Somehow that is spectacular!

This week one evening the street lanterns were out while it was already dark. A joy for Julian who is with the observatory club and likes to go out when the weather is clear to watch the stars. It was so clear, we could see a lot. Mars was visible too and it looks like a red star compared to the other stars and planets. I like it when he points out to me which is what.
    smile

Oh, and as they say at the observatory club: you can only look at the sun through a telescope once. Twice technically speaking. And then never again.

Which is true of course. Really dangerous.

He explained a lot about filters and everything because he likes to photograph sunspots. He also told us a story about a friend who buyed new equipment, filters and such, to watch and photograph the sun. Suddenly one filter had burst. Thankfully he was not looking while that happened, otherwise he would've become blind instantly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    Bregt wrote
    biggrin

I eat it almost every day at breakfast, preferably the dark one. I hear a new study of chocolate about every couple of months, and they all conclude the contrary of the previous one.

To be fair to science, your observations have more to do with lazy and sensationalist articles written by non-scientists. Popular science articles nearly always leave out essential information, and tend to exagerrate the findings, forgetting all about the uncertainty you'll find if you read the actual studies.

Peter smile