• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Remember those giant face-hugging spider-lloking things in "Alien", well, for those who don't want to sleep tonight, here's real-life's answer to that:

You've been warned.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2013 edited
    BRIAN BLESSED TO GO INTO OUTER SPACE!

in space no one can hear you scream? I eagerly await Brian making a mockery of that statement. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I've posted a similar video before, but it's just so fascinating, I had to post it again, this time I found one set to score:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRU43nbVaz8

This one is kind of like that, only not with as many planets, and some great computer animation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj_PjkQqrDo

And this interesting "What if" video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usYC_Z36rHw
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zoygy-8PTtU
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2013
    We know more about space than the bottom of our oceans...shudders. :scared:
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not unless you count other oceans, which are in space! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ... please don't kill me
  4. Sarah wrote
    We know more about space than the bottom of our oceans...shudders. :scared:

Do you know about the terrible secret of space?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2013
    I just ordered 3 issues of New Scientist magazine (Dutch version) for 9,95. Let's see if it's any good. I hope I like it and perhaps my son likes it too.

It's funny. I always quit magazines thinking "I'll never subscribe to any magazine ever again, I'll just read books instead" but I'm always tempted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013
    I think magazines are easier to read, because they are short and give you an overview of things. Going into too much detail can be confusing as i found out trying to read Brian Green- The Hidden reality. I actually had it read to me and found that a lot easier to understand as i wouldn't get stuck on large unfamiliar words, but thats just me. spin
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
  5. I had the same experiance when I tried to read "Cylcles of Time" by Roger Penrose.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One thing you won't get from a science book is a fresh update a month later.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Books = basis.
    If I wanna know any updates I'll surf the net, and get chewed out for using all the wrong reference sites.
    And then go back to books.
    Cause hardcopy=awesome.
    Especially in digital format on an e-reader.

Now excuse me, Eastenders is on.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2013 edited
    Get aaaaaht ov my arse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I had the same experiance when I tried to read "Cylcles of Time" by Roger Penrose.

Volker

Yeah, not a good place to start. Brian Greene is a MUCH better writer than Penrose.
  6. Bregje wrote
    I just ordered 3 issues of New Scientist magazine (Dutch version) for 9,95. Let's see if it's any good. I hope I like it and perhaps my son likes it too.

It's funny. I always quit magazines thinking "I'll never subscribe to any magazine ever again, I'll just read books instead" but I'm always tempted.

I used to subscribe to New Scientist many years ago and I enjoyed the breadth of the articles as well as the good summaries of current stories in science.

But, bit by bit, the articles seemed to get more and more skewed towards green issues and less and less stories about science. Most articles seemed to need a green perspective. An emphasis that I didn't really want.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    Hm, thanks Alan! I'll just wait and see what my three Dutch issues will be like.

About the green: I have the same problem with the Humanist organisation I am a member of. Basically the humanist agenda are always about taking responsibility for your own life, think independently, care for others and for humanity in general etc.

Now taking responsibility includes the whole environment, something I agree on by the way!, but now everything is about environmental issues. So a weird thing happens to me. While I originally was a rather green thinking person, the word 'green' and the attention given to it annoys me to no end by now.

More often its like I am a member of Greenpeace or a vegan's club or somehting slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013
    We went to the expo NASA: A HUMAN ADVENTURE and I loved it very much. It was better than I expected. It's in the Netherlands until januari 2014, then it will move to Tokyo.

It was a great idea to read the André Kuipers book before going (nearly finished the book now) because the expo was like an excursion to the book, not only the NASA part for history of space exploration, but especially the Dutch Dimensions and ESA part of the expo.

The NASA part of the expo was impressive. Many original items, but also scale models and replica's. One disappointing thing for me was you couldn't touch anything. Makes sense for the original items but my thought is, if they build replica's why are we not allowed to sit in it. I would have loved to sit inside a module or something.

The audio tour was really good, the rest of the info with the items was a bit unclear sometimes. The numbers were on a small screen and you had to walk to that screen and then wait until the number of the item appeared and then read it. I didn't read everything because the kids are of course a bit more impatient and for them the audio tour was enough (and for Quinn even more than enough).

One more comment in general: expo's and musea need more places to sit. In a museum of art you can always sit and watch a painting for a while. In other musea you can hardly sit and watch something or sit while you listen to the audio clip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013 edited
    Bregje wrote
    expo's and musea need more places to sit.

Fully agree.
    Even for me it gets really tiresome after some time, so I cannot even imagine the annoyance for elderly people*).

*) Not meaning you, obviously! shocked
    Just running with the train of thought.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2013 edited
    biggrin

So I read in the book about the fun experiments colleague astronaut Don Pettit did on the ISS and I watched them on YouTube. This guy is awesome. Search for Science Off The Sphere. Here's one experiment about the effect of sound waves on water bubbles in a 0G environment.

Science off the Sphere: Space Soundwaves II - Electric Didgeridoo

These clips are great, I watched them all. These are hobby projects by the way which he did in the few hours off they have. Apparently their days are really tight scheduled with scientific experiments, medical tests, protocol trainings, physical exercise, press conferences, maintenance and all sorts of safety checks. He's a cool teacher!
  7. C O S M O S 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdHaz1ylHps

I am so stoked for this series! The original series and Carl Sagans books have always been a major sorce of inspiration for me.

Volker
  8. Now this is creepy:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/10 … a-seizure/

Read the time marks and note them while listening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2013
    Has anyone seen this cube? It's a little creepy and awesome and bizarre
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_6p-1J551Y
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014
    Are there any mathematicians here? Or just someone who knows if I did this right:

I wanted to calculate 2014 in the duodecimal system so I could write 2014 in Tengwar in the duodecimal system. If the digits are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, 10... then 2014 should be 11BB right?

My Tengwar version is on facebook, here it is. The numbers are backwards by the way. Because it said so in my Tengwar guide smile
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … 668d4f6227
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014
    No need for a mathematician, just someone who thinks along!! It went like this:

If 2014 = 2 * (10 to the third) + 0 * (10 to the second) + 1 * (10 to the first) + 4
    ...........= 2000......................+ 0..............................+ 10........................+ 4 = 2014

then 2014 = 1 * (12 to the third) + 1 * (12 to the second) + 11 * (12 to the first) + 11
    ...............= 1728......................+ 144...........................+ 132........................+ 11 = 2015 crap, that's wrong. It should be 11BA, not 11BB.

Besides my miscalculation slant , I'm simply not sure if this is the way to converse!
  9. I can barely count to 10 without aid ... wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep, you got the method right and even caught your own mistake (11BA is indeed correct).
    So well done you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I can barely count to 10 without aid ... wink

Volker

Same here. I basically have a phobia for numbers. Maths was traumatic subject for me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks. So I used the wrong tengwa and wrote 2015, pfff. But oh well, now it looks even better because I can use three different symbols instead of two
    wink

I wonder if anyone close to me is into Tolkien linguistics. The studies on the languages and the fun stuff that can be found on the internet is amazing. Once in a while I like to dive into it a bit. But my weeks off are almost over so byebye books till summer
    tongue

Perhaps one more thing I will do soon is download a Tengwar font if there's a good one somewhere.

And I liked math, especially the kind I didn't need because I didn't do the beta subjects. The one I needed, with statistics etc, was difficult and boring to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Alan,

how many birds did you see in 2013? I remember I tried to set up a competition between us, which you weren't too keen on. wink

I think you've probably won though, as I didn't see many birds in the second half of the year.

In all I saw 158 wild bird species in 2013.

Peter smile