• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Earth will eventually kick us off her back mate, i don't see any other way around it they way we tread it. Don't know when it'll happen and it might take millions of years but it will, it will reject us or die and take us with it.

Believe me, Earth's never going to "die". It's the life on the Earth that's perishable. And even if 100% of life on Earth is destroyed, it WILL come into existence again. Do you wanna know how? It's a bit technical, but after all that's what this thread is about wink so here we go -

When Earth was first formed from huge chunks of rocks due to the alleged Big Bang explosion, it was more like a huge ball of metals and silica with lighter parts like silica towards outside and the heavy metals like iron and nickel towards the core (central part) which was unimaginably hot (it is still even today). Due to this heat and pressure some of the compounds on the surfacepossibly got broken down to form gases like ammonia, hydrogen, methane etc and so the environment was reducing type. There was NO oxygen in the atmosphere itself, but scientists say it is possible that hydrogen and some of the oxygen that may have resulted from the breakdown of oxides on Earth's surface combined to form water vapour which rose into the air, cooled into water, rained down, evaporated on touching the hot surface, rose up and the same process repeated itself. Over millions of years' time, this process very, VERY slowly cooled down the Earth's surface somewhat.

And now, the liquid water settled in the Earth's cracks and shallows to form the primitive ocean. And as you might know, some gases like ammonia and HCl are highly soluble in water. They got dissolved in these oceans and, due to lightning from clouds (now that water vapour existed in the atmosphere also) there was formation of certain biomolecules like simple amino acids, carbohydrates, nucleic acids etc. This has been scientifically proved by Miller and Urey's famous experiment (check Wikepedia for details). So now these primitive compounds fell into the oceans, and came close together. It has been discovered that these compounds somewhat have an affinity to each other in certain conditions. So they combined together, with the protein (amino acid polymers) as sheath and nucleic acids as the core. This combination was known as coacervates, regarded as the first step towards living organisms on Earth. This gradually led to the evolution of chemoheterotrophic bacteria (which utilised the organic compounds on Earth to produce food) and gradually chemoautotrophic bacteria, which utilised the regular reducing gases in the primitive atmosphere to produce food. Then came the first primitive algae which actually began to use hydrogen sulphide and sunlight to photosynthesize and released oxygen into the air, slowly making the atmosphere into oxidising type as it is now, after millions of years. The organisms gradually adapted to this new environment, and thus began evolution, which contines even now. I guess the rest is clear wink

So you can see how nearly invincible is Earth itself - even if all life on it is destroyed, why cannot the above mentioned process begin again? It will take billions of years, yes, but what are billions of years to Earth? Only as much as a day is for us. tongue wink

By polluting the atmosphere, destroying forests and harming wildlife, humans are not harming Earth at all, they're harming themselves. It is we who can perish from the aftermath of all this, not the Earth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    Here are some amazing photos of that particle accelerator that was rumored to be capable of creating a black hole that could swallow the earth!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/0 … lider.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DemonStar, being a science geek myself I just had to nitpick some errors, even though you do have many of the facts correct. smile

DemonStar wrote
    Believe me, Earth's never going to "die". It's the life on the Earth that's perishable. And even if 100% of life on Earth is destroyed, it WILL come into existence again.

When the Sun is dying, in about 5 billion years time, it will increase to a size that will in all likelihood swallow up the Earth, so at that time the Earth will seize to exist.

DemonStar wrote
    When Earth was first formed from huge chunks of rocks due to the alleged Big Bang explosion,

"Alleged" is the wrong word to use. The theory is so well-evidenced that it's been proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Also, it's not like rocks suddenly emerged from an explosion either; the history of the Universe before the Earth was formed is long and complex. This video, with gorgeous music, I recommend warmly.

DemonStar wrote
    There was NO oxygen in the atmosphere itself, but scientists say it is possible that hydrogen and some of the oxygen that may have resulted from the breakdown of oxides on Earth's surface combined to form water vapour which rose into the air, cooled into water, rained down, evaporated on touching the hot surface, rose up and the same process repeated itself. Over millions of years' time, this process very, VERY slowly cooled down the Earth's surface somewhat.

When water condenses it gives off just as much heat as it absorbs when it vaporizes, so no energy is lost from the system through such circular processes. Instead, the Earth loses heat by infrared radiation.

DemonStar wroteAnd now, the liquid water settled in the Earth's cracks and shallows to form the primitive ocean. And as you might know, some gases like ammonia and HCl are highly soluble in water. They got dissolved in these oceans and, due to lightning from clouds (now that water vapour existed in the atmosphere also) there was formation of certain biomolecules like simple amino acids, carbohydrates, nucleic acids etc. This has been scientifically proved by Miller and Urey's famous experiment (check Wikepedia for details). So now these primitive compounds fell into the oceans, and came close together. It has been discovered that these compounds somewhat have an affinity to each other in certain conditions. So they combined together, with the protein (amino acid polymers) as sheath and nucleic acids as the core. This combination was known as coacervates, regarded as the first step towards living organisms on Earth. This gradually led to the evolution of chemoheterotrophic bacteria (which utilised the organic compounds on Earth to produce food) and gradually chemoautotrophic bacteria, which utilised the regular reducing gases in the primitive atmosphere to produce food. Then came the first primitive algae which actually began to use hydrogen sulphide and sunlight to photosynthesize and released oxygen into the air, slowly making the atmosphere into oxidising type as it is now, after millions of years. The organisms gradually adapted to this new environment, and thus began evolution, which contines even now. I guess the rest is clear wink

I recently saw this utube video concerning a recent hypothesis of abiogenesis, that you might find interesting. He starts by debunking some silly creationist arguments, but after about 3 minutes it becomes more interesting. Plus, it has awesome music as well.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks for the facts, Peter! beer biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    beer kiss biggrin wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That was awesome. I'd not really read much about abiogenesis, and that cleared a lot of confusion quite nicely! (I've studied a bit of biology, so thankfully many of the terms used in that video weren't alien to me.)

If only creationist thinkers (basically a clever way of saying Bible bashers) would open their friggin minds and understand these important facts. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Evolution explained. Quite informative I think you'll find.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    David wrote
    Here are some amazing photos of that particle accelerator that was rumored to be capable of creating a black hole that could swallow the earth!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/0 … lider.html

Whoa, cool photos, David! That thing's huge! shocked Thanks for posting this. beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    That was awesome. I'd not really read much about abiogenesis, and that cleared a lot of confusion quite nicely! (I've studied a bit of biology, so thankfully many of the terms used in that video weren't alien to me.)

If only creationist thinkers (basically a clever way of saying Bible bashers) would open their friggin minds and understand these important facts. sad

Steven, glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure you will enjoy cdk007's other videos. Check them out.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I just watched the first part of a five part series about our planet, Earth: The Power of the Planet. Really well-made programme, especially for those who've yet to learn about the wonders of how life and nature today was created. (If ever there was a subtle hint. biggrin )

HIGHLY recommended, even to those scientifically inclined just for the great imagery:

Part 1 of 5: Earth: The Power of the Planet - Volcano

This is on the BBC website, so I have no idea if it will play for non-UK residents?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I just watched the first part of a five part series about our planet, Earth: The Power of the Planet. Really well-made programme, especially for those who've yet to learn about the wonders of how life and nature today was created. (If ever there was a subtle hint. biggrin )

HIGHLY recommended, even to those scientifically inclined just for the great imagery:

This is on the BBC website, so I have no idea if it will play for non-UK residents?

Arrrrgggghhhh! Totally my kind of program and I missed it slant

I'll check for repeats.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    It's on iPlayer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I'll check for repeats.

You realize that's the link to watch it online...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008
    The ignorance of some people will never cease to amaze me!

biggrin

And if you want a real good laugh, have a look at this Flat Earth Society website!

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry? biggrin / cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I'll check for repeats.

You realize that's the link to watch it online...?

Yes I do, I also realise I've already seenthis series. rolleyes smile

Still, it is worth watching again. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, it's fantastic. Without sounding big headed, I knew most of what the show taught since I'd learned most of it during my year of geography at uni. But never had I seen it presented so well, visually and audibly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The ignorance of some people will never cease to amaze me!

biggrin

And if you want a real good laugh, have a look at this Flat Earth Society website!

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry? biggrin / cry

Yeah, looked at that before, sometimes boggling, sometimes funny, mostly sad!

Steven, check out THE GENIUS OF CHARLES DARWIN at 8.00 pm tonight on Channel 4 presented by reknowned atheist Professor Richard Dawkins, looks likeit could be a fascinating program!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hell yes! I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw it advertised on 4. Dawkins is great at presenting and explaining things.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Hell yes! I've been looking forward to this ever since I saw it advertised on 4. Dawkins is great at presenting and explaining things.

You n' me both beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Steven, check out THE GENIUS OF CHARLES DARWIN at 8.00 pm tonight on Channel 4 presented by reknowned atheist Professor Richard Dawkins, looks likeit could be a fascinating program!?

Thanks for reminding me, mate! I have enjoyed Dawkin's previous documentaries, this should be great!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Thanks for reminding me, mate! I have enjoyed Dawkin's previous documentaries, this should be great!

cool

Welcome biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    Well, that's the first part watched. As usual, well presented by Prof. Dawkins!

I liked the bit where Dawkins visited a school science class with 15 to 16 year olds, some of whom were religious and disregarded evolution.

It proved a vital point that many of those who disregard evolution simply have not been taught the proper facts, they believe what they are told in its contradiction - e.g. creationism. They tend to disregard the evidence that goes against their beliefs in favour of those very beliefs because, as one of the students stated, "this is what I've been brought up to believe". It's a crying shame that this is the case for many people!

Many of them seemed to change their views on evolution once Dawkins had taken them out to a beach where they looked for and found fossils and explained to them why those fossils were there. It goes to show that even a little bit of scientific knowledge of the facts can change a person's view (although some seemed to remain indignant to the facts, which also goes to show that it takes a great deal of effort to get them to understand the evidence when one has been so poisoned by religious teachings).

A tendency I've found in reading about and meeting religious people is their lack of questioning the unknown. I think a key difference between many a scientific mind and a religious one is the scientist constantly asks questions - the theist believes the answers are already known.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    Didn't read your post Steven, I'm going to watch it in about half an hour or so.

This link here is for Martijn in particular....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7540835.stm

Megalodon lad, MEGALODON cool

Also check out the bite power of the extinct Marsupial on the 'See Also' shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's the best thing I've ever seen. Ever.
    And I've seen boobies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'd have amended that little chart at the bottom to read
    Predators: underwater volcanoes and the occasional continent-destroying meteorite
    but overall... we're gonna need a bigger boat...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    They should totally make a remake of Jaws with a Megalodon. I'd pay good money to see that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    They did.
    And you wouldn't.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Belay that last remark, THAT is the most awesome thing I have ever seen. Wow. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    They did.
    And you wouldn't.

ROTFLMAO biggrin