• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I've just started to listening to a score that seems to be from a German-produced natural history series entitled Russland: Im Reich der Tiger, Bären und Vulkane composed by Kolja Erdmann. I'd not heard the name before but from what I'm hearing it's someone who deserves some attention.

Listen to the clips and see what you think. It's all very grand and dramatic (maybe too dramatic for a programme of this type?) but it's full of bold brass, sweeping strings and what sounds like a huge choir. Reminds me of something set somewhere between the Russian Steppes and Middle Earth.

There's a trailer for the show that gives an additional flavour of the music.

As I hadn't heard of the composer I went on a bit of a hunt to find some background on the composer - predominantly to see if there was anything else available on him. The only other music that seems to be available is from another natural history series, Expeditionen Ins Tierreich: Wilde Heimat, and there seems to have been some music released with the DVD boxed set.

There's a site that features a 10-minute video which seems to have footage and some music from the Wilde Heimat series. And that's worth a watch. This site also features numerous clips from scores, including 30 minutes from the said Wilde Heimat. There's also some nice stuff from another Expeditionen Ins Tierreich programme, Abenteuer Nordsee. There is also some music for Wildes Russland, a TV series on which Russland is based (I think they may have done a sort of The Blue Planet/Deep Blue on this).

Please take a look. There's sure to be something to enjoy!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    Interesting video! He's very young eh?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think Erik will like this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oops! There goes the Zimmer influences in the battle scene smile
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Oops! There goes the Zimmer influences in the battle scene smile

So it did take a while for the Zimmer influence to appear? That's well into the video! wink

I'm not saying it's anything new. There's Zimmer-isms and Middle Earth sticks out in Russland - as well as the Russian composers I think - but I like what I'm hearing. And as you say, he's very young. Not being a musician myself I've no idea whether someone's "voice" develops over time with experience or whether it's there from the start.

I do think that he's work watching.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's quite nice smile
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    It's quite nice smile

From you, that's a glowing reference! wink