• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007 edited
    Best Original Score

Atonement (Dario Marianelli)
    Eastern Promises (Howard Shore)
    Grace is Gone (Clint Eastwood)
    Into the Wild (Michael Brook)
    The Kite Runner (Alberto Iglesias)

Best Song

"Despidida" from Love in the Time of Cholera
    "Grace is Gone" from Grace is Gone
    "Guaranteed" from Into the Wild
    "That's How You Know" from Enchanted
    "Walk Hard" from Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007
    No Santaolalla?!!?!? DAMN!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    No Santaolalla?!!?!? DAMN!

Save that for the Oscars. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Kite Runner gets my vote.
    Despidada is a vry nice song and should win.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    An excellent list. I am between THE KITE RUNNER and EASTERN PROMISES, both equally beautiful.

But i am very curious as to what the Eastwood is doing there; i've seen it in another set of nominations for this year and i was wondering if it's just there 'cause of the name? Has anyone actually heard it yet?

Is Eastwood the new Santaolalla?! shocked wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Santaolalla is not here...but Shore is. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He Shore is... he Shore is. biggrin

rolleyes shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    If those are the best of 2007.....let´s go to 2008 now.
    Every year the nominees are worse and worse.
    Marianelli (still has to top his "Vendetta" score), Shore (still living on LOTR fame) and Iglesias (man does he always sounds the same or what?) in the same list (no comment about Eastwood or Brook); unbeliabable.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't agree at all. Eastern Promises is a very fine and delicate melodic score with absolutely gorgeous soli whilst THE KITE RUNNER is probably the most colorful blend of world music with western musical traits of this year. Have you heard those 2? If yes, then i can't understand why you don't like them; must be something with the Spaniards against Shore, then? tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Don't agree at all. Eastern Promises is a very fine and delicate melodic score with absolutely gorgeous soli whilst THE KITE RUNNER is probably the most colorful blend of world music with western musical traits of this year. Have you heard those 2? If yes, then i can't understand why you don't like them; must be something with the Spaniards against Shore, then? tongue

Yes, Eastern Promises is a melodic score....but we could find (in 2007) plenty of melodic scores much better that that.
    As for Alberto Iglesias, I have not heard "The Kite Runner" (I´m about to do it soon though), but he always sounds the same to me in the movies and he is always nominated / awarded for doing that in the Spanish Awards, while far better composers (Roque Baños for example) are still waiting.

I think that, being objective, we could find not five but more scores that would deserve to be in that list. Come on, Eastwood for the best score? Brook? vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Brook is actually a rather excellent performer and a very able composer, i like his moody sound-design and nostalgic melodies wink As for THE KITE RUNNER, believe me, it's not one from the same. Listen to it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ok, I´ll listen the Iglesias one in a few hours; I´ll let you know. But it rather be good! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Who has listened to "Grace Is Gone"?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    The only two on that list that I've heard are Atonement and Eastern Promises, so I don't have much of an opinion. Truth be told, I was really disappointed with Eastern Promises on CD. I find it achingly difficult to get through an entire listen, but it was highly effective in the film and understand it's nomination.

Atonement is just great. Period. As for the others, I'm looking forward to hearing Kite Runner and Into the Wild, but I honestly don't have high expectations for the Eastwood score. On or off the screen, the man's music has never done anything for me. Time he hired a real composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've only heard Atonement and Eastern Promises, and I think they're both very fine and very worthy. I do want to hear Kite Runner too, hopefully I'll pick that one up. Surprised that Desplat's not there.
  1. I guess this is a nice list, Atonement was pretty fine to hear, so was Eastern Promises
    Haven't heard The Kite Runner yet
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorpmrsim
    I'm rooting for ATONEMENT, such a beautiful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    THe Eastwood nomination is f***ing joke.

mc
  2. Harvey Weinstein must be very happy for Eastwood's nomination. He knows how to play the game, that man.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007
    Just got back from seeing Atonement, and funny to see it's got so much nominations! Especially since I got a bet with the friend I went to see it with; he didn't like it and couldn't believe this would become 'the Oscar film', but I said it would win big. Despite what you think of it, it is a typical Oscar film smile (even if we're here just talking about the Globes).

Glad it's nominated, though, it's a gorgeous film (and I just love the cinematography!).
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Atonement and Eastern Promises are both good, though Shore's score doesn't really do much for the (very fine) film however, it's so one-dimensional with barely a moment that actually gives you a sense of drama - intrigue, or tension or anything else. It makes for a very nice cd though.

I've having a hard time getting into The Kite Runner at the moment.
  3. David OC wrote
    I've having a hard time getting into [b]The Kite Runner at the moment.

I've been having the same trouble actually. This surprises me, as THE CONSTANT GARDENER was so good, and I figured he'd be in relatively similar territory here, just with different instruments.

I do agree that outside of the two stunning opening tracks, EASTERN PROMISES probably isn't that exceptional. Are those first two tracks actually used in the film?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    They should've nominated PoTC: At World's End, IMHO, that was a great score. But if not, then I guess I'm rooting for Eastern Promises, that's the best score in the current selection smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    David OC wrote
    I've having a hard time getting into [b]The Kite Runner at the moment.

I've been having the same trouble actually. This surprises me, as THE CONSTANT GARDENER was so good, and I figured he'd be in relatively similar territory here, just with different instruments.

But were you into The Constant Gardener right away, or did you have to listen to that one a few times as well, before it really got you? Because I've had the same experience with both scores; it didn't get me right away, but it did after a while. They're both different, but in a certain way, also the same.
  4. BobdH wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

But were you into The Constant Gardener right away, or did you have to listen to that one a few times as well, before it really got you? Because I've had the same experience with both scores; it didn't get me right away, but it did after a while. They're both different, but in a certain way, also the same.

Hard to tell, as I heard the album for CONSTANT GARDENER a couple of months after seeing the film for the first time. In this case, I'm not particularly interested in seeing the film. The music gives me the impression that this one a film where motivations are pretty simple, and the music has to be speak very directly to that. One thing CG had in common with some of his more jazz-orchestral scores was a strong sense of ambiguity - it was a thriller score first and foremost. This is a film about good-hearted people and the happy times they've lost if the music is anything to go by.

EDIT - Having said that, I'm listening to it now, and there's certainly some fine writing here. 'Kite Tournament' certainly has a nice little story to tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007 edited
    Michael, give it some time mate. You'll find that it's an absolutely gorgeously colored score and the last 3 pieces are some of the most touching and sensitive writing Iglesias has showcased so far. (with 3 i also include the last vocal piece, the beautiful hymn which is not Iglesias' if i recall correctly).
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007
    Something else didn't seem quite right, and now I figured out what it was, when the advance score album for INTO THE WILD showed up. Then I checked the Paramount/Vantage "for your consideration" listing, and saw:

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
    Music by
    Michael Brook
    with Kaki King and Eddie Veder

And yet the HFPA only nominated Veder. One more reason why the Golden Globes aren't worth squat.

Maybe Brook, King and Schwartz can crash the party....
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    I only heard Atonement and The Kite Runner from that list and my vote would go to Dario Marianelli.
    It looks like the Golden Globes ceremony is up in the air because of the writers' strike. So is the Oscars...

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/ … 7120071218
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    Well, the Golden Globe ceremony has been cancelled! shocked Which means the writers strike is really causing more trouble then would have been foreseen! Wow. Let's hope the Academy Awards will be cancelled too tongue wink

Attempts to save the Golden Globes ceremonies devolved quickly Monday evening as the famed broadcast was reduced from a three-hour gala to a one-hour press conference -- most likely with no stars, no parties and WGA pickets.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/news/flash/
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    As I said in my now sinking post before seeing this one:

''I'm kinda glad the writers strike is messing stuff up this much. Sure it sucks for us, but at least the studios might finally realise screwed up this whole thing is. As long as I can hold out on lots of old 70's shows until everything is sorted I should be fine.''