• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007
    www.elsew.com

Needs no introduction, imo.

-------

ANOTHER new album: The "El Greco" soundtrack!

These are exciting times... While most countries are still waiting for Vangelis' new "Blade Runner Trilogy" album to reach the stores, fans in Greece can start looking forward to a another treat. Very reliable sources report that in less than a week from now, on December 19 to be exact, Universal Music SA Greece plans to release Vangelis' brand new soundtrack album to Iannis' Smaragdis' "El Greco".

The album is supposed to contain 18 tracks, 15 of which have been composed by Vangelis, all of which have been arranged and produced by Vangelis. The three other tracks involve source material from within the film, played at parties and any such occasions enjoyed by the on-screen characters.

A few facts, just to set the record straight, as the "El Greco" topic has caused some confusion before. "El Greco" is a new Greek movie for which Vangelis wrote the musical score. This score has nothing to do with Vangelis' famous studio album, known as "Foros Timis Ston Greco" (1995), later expanded and rereleased worldwide as "El Greco" (1998). For "El Greco" (2007), the movie, Vangelis composed a completely new score, not even reminiscent of the '95/'98 studio album. This new album, now due for release on December 19, contains the new music from the movie and has been titled "El Greco - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack by Vangelis". It should, at least for now, be available only in Greece.

"El Greco" is a huge success in Greek movie theaters and has already won numerous awards, including for Vangelis' music. Nevertheless, the release of the soundtrack comes as quite a surprise, with Vangelis' other new album "Blade Runner Trilogy" in the middle of its world-wide launch, while for Vangelis the release of a soundtrack album is never as mandatory as it is for many other great film composers. A particularly pleasant surprise that, together with the two new CDs from the Blade Runner Trilogy set, should make for the 3rd CD of Vangelis music to look forward to.

More news on this soon...

[source: www.elsew.com]
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007 edited
    Great news!I enjoyed the music in the film very much and it's definately one of the cds I'm really looking forward to!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007
    Yeah! There's that one choral sung by the male choir which is absolutely beautiful and certainly one of the most touching and captivating single compositions he has ever written. Imo, deserves the purchase of the CD alone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah! There's that one choral sung by the male choir which is absolutely beautiful and certainly one of the most touching and captivating single compositions he has ever written. Imo, deserves the purchase of the CD alone.

Got me licking my lip lick cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    EL GRECO

Tracklist:

1. PART 1
    2. PART 2
    3. PART 3
    4. PART 4
    5. PART 5 (Traditionnal Folk Song of Chania, Crete)
    6. PART 6
    7. PART 7
    8. PART 8 (Composed and Performed by Psarantonis)
    9. PART 9
    10. PART 10
    11. PART 11 (Written and Perfomed by Loudovicos Ton Anogion)
    12. PART 12
    13. PART 13
    14. PART 14
    15. PART 15
    16. PART 16
    17. PART 17
    18. PART 18

CD COVER:
    http://www.greekmusicshop.gr/eshop/imag … e11-03.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    EL GRECO

Tracklist:

1. PART 1
    2. PART 2
    3. PART 3
    4. PART 4
    5. PART 5 (Traditionnal Folk Song of Chania, Crete)
    6. PART 6
    7. PART 7
    8. PART 8 (Composed and Performed by Psarantonis)
    9. PART 9
    10. PART 10
    11. PART 11 (Written and Perfomed by Loudovicos Ton Anogion)
    12. PART 12
    13. PART 13
    14. PART 14
    15. PART 15
    16. PART 16
    17. PART 17
    18. PART 18

CD COVER:
    http://www.greekmusicshop.gr/eshop/imag … e11-03.jpg

Exclusive: Here's the tracklisting of the next Vangelis score:

1. Track 1
    2. Track 2
    3. Track 3
    4. Track 4
    5. Track 5
    6. Track 6
    7. Track 7
    8. Track 8
    9. Track 9

biggrin wink
  1. Track 7 sounds extremely promising. It´s the magic number, so it will rock, obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Here it is with running times:

1. Part 1 (3:59)
    2. Part 2 (1:56)
    3. Part 3 (4:20)
    4. Part 4 (2:26)
    5. Part 5 (3:06) (Traditionnal Folk Song of Chania, Crete)
    6. Part 6 (2:05)
    7. Part 7 (1:30)
    8. Part 8 (1:56) (Composed and Performed by Psarantonis)
    9. Part 9 (1:00)
    10. Part 10 (1:51)
    11. Part 11 (2:50) (Written and Perfomed by Loudovicos Ton Anogion)
    12. Part 12 (4:56)
    13. Part 13 (2:36)
    14. Part 14 (1:06)
    14. Part 15 (2:40)
    16. Part 16 (2:46)
    17. Part 17 (2:28)
    18. Part 18 (3:16)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Track 7 sounds extremely promising. It´s the magic number, so it will rock, obviously.

Yer outta luck; your number 7 only lasts for 1:30 min., so it really has to make every second count biggrin
  2. I know a lot of rocking tracks which run even shorter. I prefer the long ones, but there are some very short ones which are just phenomenal. For example, the Main Title for Season 4 of Babylon 5 makes my nose bleed. And the very first track from AVP:R is 1:30, and most of you know how good this one is.
  3. 28 years later, I'm still waiting for John Williams to get the oscar for Raiders.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  4. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    SWIADECTWO (TESTIMONY) (CD)
    Vangelis, Robert Janson

info/sound clips:

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=11577
  5. I saw a really good movie lst night: "The Bounty"

With Mel Gibson and Anthony Hopkins.

Hopkins does such a fantastic job portraying the hard-assed captain who will not yield to anyone and have things only his way. The conflict it created between then was palpable -- THIS is the kind of stuff Hollywood has all but forgotten.

After saying "No" to the captain and being forced back abored the Bounty, the confrontational dynamic changed and Hopkins became worse, using at least two little ploys to pit negative feeling of the crew against Mel's character -- all without ever once saying it. No leading you by the nose and telling you what he did, jsut good old fashion figuring out.

Vangelis' score was very good, at least in the movie (I really want to hear it apart from the film).
    The atypical approach to scoring scenes really helped, especially the ominous deep pounding during what were supposed to be fun and happy hours for the crew and captain when in reality things were going south and some crew turning against him. The music foreshadowed the empending trouble, which I thought helped the dramatic affect quite well.

Was taken back to see this score hs NEVER seen an official release (not counting the Main/End titles on a Themes CD). This is a score that needs a proper release. There is a 2CD bootleg, but come on -- if "Snakes On A Plane" can get a CD release...
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2009
    Yeah, great film and score. I have the THEMES CD (plus the rest of the tracks on a couple of bootlegs). Extremely moody opening titles, in particular. It's almost as if you can "feel the heat" of both the location and temperature between the characters - a combination of the red/purple colour palette and Vangelis' pulsating music.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The Main Titles from The Bounty is probably my favorite Vangelis piece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. I love both Bounty tracks from the Themes Album immensely. I used them as Main and End Title for a short Shadowrun RPG campaign I ran back in the late Eighties.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009 edited
    Like Zimmer, Vangelis is yet another composer with innovative and unique composing style. I admire his way of composing music. He might not highly depend on huge orchestra or classical way of composing, but his synthesizers, keyboards and electronic instruments played huge role in his score albums and movies. My favorites are:

1. Blade Runner - Best of the best

2. 1492 Conquest of Paradise

3. Chariots of Fire

4. Alexander

5. The Bounty

6. Mythodea

What's yours?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2009
    Mythodea and Blade Runner by far, close comes the 1492 score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sunil wrote
    2. 1942 Conquest of Paradise

America is a pretty young country isn't it? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Christodoulides wrote
    Sunil wrote
    2. 1942 Conquest of Paradise

America is a pretty young country isn't it? wink

Oh! oops! sorry, buddy! 1492 conquest of paradise. biggrin
  8. I like The City very much, for different reasons.

You can find samples here:
    http://www.amazon.com/City-Vangelis/dp/ … amp;sr=8-1

The final ten minute track is fantastic and absolutely worth that one dollar for downloading.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009
    Just been listening to 1492 and is dumbfounded by how I could have had this album for so long without giving it a proper listen.

Anyone else loves "Light and shadow"?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5lCN7ed3vE

Peter punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yes it is a nice listen
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    What??? again? Just like Howard Shore thread, this thread have just 24 messages. In fact, Howard Shore thread is far better than Vangelis. I couldn't believe it. Now, i am under impression that many people here do not listen to Vangelis music often. Am i right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Vangelis has a very unique flavor in his music and overall style. I don't listen to him all the time but when I do, i particularly enjoy the experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Vangelis has a very unique flavor in his music and overall style. I don't listen to him all the time but when I do, i particularly enjoy the experience.

What are you talking about? You're GREEK. You MUST like Vangelis ALL THE TIME.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    What??? again? Just like Howard Shore thread, this thread have just 24 messages. In fact, Howard Shore thread is far better than Vangelis. I couldn't believe it. Now, i am under impression that many people here do not listen to Vangelis music often. Am i right?

It's very different from most film music, and in fact much of it doesn't sound like film music at all, which may explain why that could be the case. I do actually enjoy listening to several of his albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Sunil wrote

It's very different from most film music, and in fact much of it doesn't sound like film music at all, which may explain why that could be the case. I do actually enjoy listening to several of his albums.

I agree. That's one of the reasons why I love much of his stuff. It's just a damn good album experience no matter what it was composed for.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I like Vangelis a lot but I have to be in the right mood.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt