• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011 edited
    ...we're not even three months in and I already think that this year is going to be one of the bleakest I'll ever have experienced.

Winter chaos, unrest in N Africa and the Middle East, two devastating earthquakes (one in NZ, one in Japan) and now the threat of a radioactive catastrophe. Coupled with the ongoing financial crisis, piracy in E Africa, incompetent governments, right-wing rabble rousers...it makes it profoundly grateful that I'll never have children that will have to live in this world.

Gloomily yours,
    CK sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sorry Christian, apparently a thread cannot exist if the there's only a number in its title.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011
    There will always be bad things happening in the world, so it depends very much on what you choose to focus on or what the media is focussing on.

But yes, especially the Middle East and Japan issues seem to have convolutted at this particular time. Both very big in scale.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I don't really see it as a bad thing that people in the Middle East/Africa are standing up against dictators. Of course it's depressing that they are brutally slaughtered, and that any new government that arises from the dust will probably be as bad as the last one. There's still hope though, and it's not all bleak. I think it shows clearly that the younger generation has a different way of thinking; progressive thinking and a desire for freedom. It also looks like Gaddafi will be out of power within long, and it will be difficult for any future dictator to be able to beat him when it comes to being brutal and insane.

In any case, crap like this has always happened. Though there's more reporting going on about disasters and political upheaval, the world has generally become a nicer place. We still have a long way to go though.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    All we need now is the people of North Korea to waken from their brainwashed stupor and overthrow the crackpots ruling them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I doubt that will happen considering how isolated they are. People in the Middle East and Africa, even in the really bad dictatorships, tend to have access to the internet and foreign media, so they have the ability to compare and see how poor of they are and they can be inspired by uprisings in other countries. In NK everything people are exposed to is the propaganda they're fed from the government. I think the only thing that can change the situation is if the next dictator will open the country more up, which is unlikely, or an invasion that will over-throw the government.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sadly, I suspect an invasion would be the only way.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Sadly, I suspect an invasion would be the only way.

Yes, but by the time the international community gets one off the ground, Gadhaffi will long since be dead and probably have left the throne to his son or something.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was referring to North Korea, Thor, yeah I know, a wee bit off topic wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thank heavens.
    I thought you were referring to Mars!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thank heavens.
    I thought you were referring to Mars!

Well, that's another thing entirely, if I were emperor of the Earth I would command that Mars be nuked out of the solar system, better to be safe than sorry eh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I was rather thinking the other way around...

Speaking of which, seen this?
    Gloom to your chilkdhood memories!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

That first link is EXACTLY why we must hit them first.

That second one..........very clever applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    News makes much more impact on me than before. I sort of had a renewed interest in following news and interest in the world (I think since EU crisis, Haiti and the mentioning of WikiLeaks here by BhelPuri when Collateral Murder was released last year). It also helps to read about some issues here too, some very smart and knowledgeable members here! I now follow the news on different (international) website whereas before I had a rather limited view. Good! I'm sure many have had this as well, but somehow I'm always a bit behind with these things. wink

We can only hope the best after the uprisings, but the people in Tunisia and Egypt are really determined so far, and have not let it slide away I have the impression.

For a positive note in 2011, I think Christian wants a volcano to erupt again, preferable Katla or so? wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Financial crisis has hit Greece very hard since 2009 and things are pretty fucked up here already so no big difference for us in 2011, YET. But worldwide, yes i'd say that many sad events have gathered altogether already.

But, life has already been shitty during many instances in humanity's existence.

These days however, we - humans, we have advanced so much in many areas that tend to forget we are actually depended on our environment and hosting nature, we are as fragile and vulnerable as we were before and we live in the century of illusions; most of the times, esp. in western countries, we let ourselves be fooled and pseudo-elevated, forgetting that our existence can be terminated from this second to the next, or our financial well-being is not actually granted for ever, or peace and serenity around us.

Also, people from all around the globe communicate with each other with the advance of the internet and mass media which is governing our lives nowadays; no news are "not concerning us" any more, no news are far away and isolated, everything is coming directly and inderectly at your door now. It's way more evident than it ever was. And world events and financial state are now closely-tight together and a fragile chain as it's proven day by day. We all live in the same planet.

As for our times, a lot shittier existed in the past; we'll survive. We all need hope, confidence and people to love and to love us in our lives; we can only proceed forward and see what's in store for us smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2011 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for our times, a lot shittier existed in the past; we'll survive. We all need hope, confidence and people to love and to love us in our lives; we can only proceed forward and see what's in store for us smile

Can I please have some of your optimistic enthusiasm, Demetris? spin
  1. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

That first link is EXACTLY why we must hit them first.

That second one..........very clever applause

Haha loved The E.T. sequel. I'd go see it... biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    ChrK wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Can I please have some of your optimistic enthusiasm, Demetris? spin

Take some fast, 'cause it usually doesn't last long wink beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    Nonsense! Tis a never ending source of enrichment and possitivity punk beer