• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011 edited
    Curiously - despite growing up in the 80's - I never had any connection to the original series. I don't even know if it was shown on Norwegian TV. But when I heard that they were doing a reboot a couple of years ago, I sat down with the entire first series before I started the new one. Just to get a grasp of Kenneth Johnson's whole universe.

The original was a bit cheesy at times, sure, and the parallell to fascism a bit on-the-nose, but it was impressively bleak for a sci fi series at the time.

The same can be said about the reboot, which is really well done (and they've made it more believable, as far as alien invasion films go anyway). I've just now watched the finale of season 2, and by God, it must be the bleakest finale I've seen since TWIN PEAKS.

Hopefully, they get to have at least one more full season to end in a more upbeat way.

So....anyone been following the reboot series?
    I am extremely serious.
  1. No. I did watch the first one but it seemed to me to be just another Americanised sci-fi show that just happened to be based on the same universe as the original.

I was so into the original that this may have clouded my judgement. But I am sure that I couldn't watch the original again now because of all the cheese. I seem to recall that the airing of the original series was a big event in the UK: prime time slot, shown over several nights (as a mini-series was shown), and featuring effects worth watching for a TV show. I certainly watched the original mini-series but I can't recall whether I was as avid a fan when it became more regular.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011
    I think the second season has been much better than the first. The "mythical" themes are really starting to take their hold now. After the first few episodes of the first season, I asked myself: "What is this, a TV series version of INDEPENDENCE DAY?".

But now, it's something very different and more interesting, IMO. Monica Bacc-whatsherface is really brilliant as the baddie. So beautiful, yet so incredibly evil. And also naïve. And also smart. Love it. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I never saw the original. I watched and quite enjoyed the first season of the remake - don't think the second season has been shown here yet (if it has, I missed it!)
  2. Thor wrote
    I think the second season has been much better than the first. The "mythical" themes are really starting to take their hold now. After the first few episodes of the first season, I asked myself: "What is this, a TV series version of INDEPENDENCE DAY?".

But now, it's something very different and more interesting, IMO. Monica Bacc-whatsherface is really brilliant as the baddie. So beautiful, yet so incredibly evil. And also naïve. And also smart. Love it. smile

You see, the way they did this lost me as a viewer and so I never lasted to the more interesting installments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I'm a BIG fan of the original - the first mini-series was amazing television ! It was a serious event when it aired here ! I also love The Final Battle and the series started out ok , but lost its way after a few episodes . Then many of the regular cast were killed off or just went away ... and the ratings went as well !
    I've seen the first season of the re-boot and I thought it was pretty good , but I have such a soft spot for a lot of the characters of the original so that one will always remain my absolute favourite ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Eric wrote
    I'm a BIG fan of the original - the first mini-series was amazing television ! It was a serious event when it aired here ! I also love The Final Battle and the series started out ok , but lost its way after a few episodes . Then many of the regular cast were killed off or just went away ... and the ratings went as well !
    I've seen the first season of the re-boot and I thought it was pretty good , but I have such a soft spot for a lot of the characters of the original so that one will always remain my absolute favourite ...

Both Jane Badler and Marc Singer from the original series appear in the second season of the new one (Singer appears in the season finale that I just talked about), so perhaps that's an extra incentive for you to watch?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011
    I'll shure watch season 2 when I have the time Thor .
    I didn't know about Singer & Badler doing an appearance , so thx for the heads up ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2011
    Has anyone heard anything about a third season being confirmed?

I think it's odd to end the series in what must be the bleakest series ending of all time without at least SOME word that it has been renewed for a few more episodes?!?

I haven't been able to find anything online.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I noticed last night a trailer for the second season that seems to be starting back here in the UK on Syfy (tonight) and caught a glimpse of (I presume) Jane Badler.

Although I gave up on this after only a few episodes of the first season, Badler was a firm favourite with me in the original series and I may start watching it again - if there is nothing else on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I noticed last night a trailer for the second season that seems to be starting back here in the UK on Syfy (tonight) and caught a glimpse of (I presume) Jane Badler.

Although I gave up on this after only a few episodes of the first season, Badler was a firm favourite with me in the original series and I may start watching it again - if there is nothing else on.

Marc Singer pops up towards the end of the season too!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Not so bothered about him for some reason. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    agree biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pre ta na ma!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    Bugger. Series cancelled. Really liked the second season.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2011
    Ratings are merciless. And cruel.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011
    Southall wrote

NOOOO! Seriously? Where did you read it? They can't just finish the way it is now, which is - like - the most downbeat ending in the history of television. Makes the ending of TWIN PEAKS seem like a Disneyland ride in comparison.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thor wrote

NOOOO! Seriously? Where did you read it? They can't just finish the way it is now, which is - like - the most downbeat ending in the history of television. Makes the ending of TWIN PEAKS seem like a Disneyland ride in comparison.

You just caught my attention.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Saw someone post it on Facebook (and confirmed it with a Google search). Quite disappointed. Enjoyed this, and Stargate Universe, both seem to be finished without a satisfactory conclusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited
    Southall wrote
    Saw someone post it on Facebook (and confirmed it with a Google search). Quite disappointed. Enjoyed this, and Stargate Universe, both seem to be finished without a satisfactory conclusion.

Absolutely. Loved both of those shows. I'll wait a bit untill I have an official confirmation re: cancellation of V.

It's difficult to come to terms with the fact that the shows I seem to prefer are not the ones preferred by the public, the ratings or the people who once put them on the air. Story of my TV life. sad

One of the very few shows I really enjoyed, and which DID manage to come to a satisfactory conclusion, was the new BATTLESTAR: GALACTICA. But that's about it, off the top of my head.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    It's difficult to come to terms with the fact that the shows I seem to prefer are not the ones preferred by the public, the ratings or the people who once put them on the air. Story of my TV life. sad

Yep. Carnivale, Deadwood... sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Yep. Carnivale, Deadwood... sad

For me, it has been TWIN PEAKS, INVASION, SURFACE, SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND, THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES, CAPRICA, STARGATE: UNIVERSE, FIREFLY (although it did get a film that wrapped things up adequately), EARTH 2, X-FILES (kinda), DEFYING GRAVITY (brilliant show by the BG people that didn't even last beyond the pilot), VIRTUALITY (same destiny) and others that I'm forgetting.

Mostly sci fi things in a more serious, adult idiom.
    I am extremely serious.